Mispronunciations: radio and TV news

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Mispronunciations: radio and TV news

Postby jon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 pm

the-real-deal wrote:Dear owner of this site:

I have to say, this is most UN user friendly discussion forum of all time.

Therefore, it must win an award for censorship, in general.

- No opportunity to edit the post. One used to be able to, but, not now.

- No opportunity to delete the post. One used to be able to, but, not now.

For what reason, may I ask.

Completely unnecessary, Ted !

I'm not the owner, but I am the guy who had to figure out how to create these restrictions.

The problem we faced nearly a decade ago was with some members who did not like to lose an argument, so would alter or delete their post(s) after someone else had pointed out the fallacy of one point or another.

The software that we use for this discussion forum does not differentiate between posts that have been replied to, and those that haven't, so we ended up with a choice of allowing or disallowing deletion of posts. Likewise with editing posts, though there is a time limit within which you can edit your own post. The choice of time limit had to be pretty short to avoid the likelihood of a response being written and read in that time.

As the fellow who inherited SOWNY from its late owner found out, some controls need to be in place or things get totally out of hand. And the fear of legal action becomes too great to let the board survive.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Always a good idea to think about what you might post before you do it.
And of course, if one doesn't like the way things happen here.....
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:16 pm

So, if we are not "perfect," like you, Ms. H.A.T, then, we have to live with misspelled words and the like.

Well, unlike you, Ms. H.A.T, I am not a perfect person, but just a literate one !

Regarding security issues, I do get that, Jon, but the user should also be allowed to spell check his work, should they not ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:40 pm

the-real-deal wrote:the user should also be allowed to spell check his work, should they not ?

I thought that I answered that above, or are you referring to something else?
jon wrote:there is a time limit within which you can edit your own post. The choice of time limit had to be pretty short to avoid the likelihood of a response being written and read in that time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:18 am

This morning on the 'NW 8 am news ...

" ... less RCMP officers on bicycles ..." in a story on crime in Surrey. Should of course be "fewer officers."
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:24 pm

The term "less" seems to be popular with many people these days. I suspect those that are much younger than I because I use the term "fewer" as mentioned above. It's along the lines of those people who can't tell the difference between "bring" and "take". I notice the wrong ones (in my opinion) turning up in big budget movies and TV shows. The usage even goes back a few years so it can't be that recent. As usual I lay most of the blame on our American cousins right alongside their bad spelling (some is VERY creative) for advertising purposes I also get saddened seeing atrocious spelling on media websites. It would seem that while staff members have trouble reading the stories to air that may be simply because the words they are trying to read are incorrectly spelled! Or, maybe not.
One of my teachers years ago pointed out how language changes over time. I don't think he liked that fact but pointed it out anyway. Reflecting on that learned scholar I suppose I have to loosen my stance on the new usage. But, I don't have to like it!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Not a mispronounciation ... but superfluous.

In just six minutes -- time. Anyone else react to the use of the word time in this context. Of course it is time ... unless minutes relate to latitude/longitude. What's wrong with just ... In six minutes.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:35 pm

gwp wrote:In just six minutes -- time. Of course it is time ... unless minutes relate to latitude/longitude. What's wrong with just ... In six minutes.

Stuff like this is enough to drive one to drink -- liquid.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia