Mojo raising the white flag?

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Tue May 30, 2006 8:12 pm

I recall KHJ's biggest ever flop .. Car Radio ... I think the only format that dragged an RKO station lower was KFRC's Game Zone.

Solid morning and afternoon traffic...if it didn't work in LA, why the hell would it work in Assport?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Just got home from work and found this message on my answering machine informing me that MOJO was no more and that AM730 was turning into an all-traffic station with reruns of the Best of NW. I thought it was a joke call!!!!!!!!

And now I find out it's true!

How many power lunches did it take for Tom and Ian to come up with this format idea, I wonder? Or are they marching to orders from Toronto?

I suppose this is one way for Corus to get its investment out of the chopper....axe the staff.

Any bets on how long it will be before there's another format change at 730? I give it six months.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Tue May 30, 2006 9:59 pm

How pathetic. Reruns of The LG Morning Zoo would be more entertaining. Hmm or how about Replaying all of 10 episodes of Roger & Buzz's Twine in rotation.. at least it would be a step up from this cornhole idea.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby jenniferthomson » Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 am

[QUOTE]They could re-run old traffic reports from years gone by with people like Kathy Morse, Kathy Robertson, Pam Newton, Shawn Webster, Sarah Daniels, Jennifer Thompson, Amy Bell etc

That's funny!
jenniferthomson

Postby buzzbishop » Wed May 31, 2006 8:26 am

DJ Specs wrote: Hmm or how about Replaying all of 10 episodes of Roger & Buzz's Twine in rotation..

Not like I want to give Corus any programming tips .. but ... I've wondered for a while now, how long it would be before radio starts playing podcasts.

On G4TV there is a show called Torrent, which is basically a "best of" vidcasts. The host interviews the people who make them and then plays these internet videos. Sweet!

Most podcasts are done the way Roger and I do it, for free. Some have mentions in their 'casts, or plug a sponsored site a lot, but most are free free free.

A podcast show could be interesting... there are dozens of great quality, professional ones to choose from. Immediately I think of:

TWiT - This Week in Tech hosted by Leo Laporte of KFI in LA
Diggnation - Kevin Rose diggs through the most blogged internet news
Ricky Gervais - the most downloaded podcast ever
Travel with Rick Steves - travel guide from one of the best travel guide writers around

The list goes on and on and on. If they're "the best of talk" why not pluck some from the web? It could be the new way to develop cheap syndicated programming that offers up a much better variety and quality than what they currently have.
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 am

Podcasts being broadcast hmmm - now that's a novel lil' blue sky notion.

In all seriousness though, something that I thought about while listening to the episode of twine that rhymed, is this; how much would this debate change if the two of you were suddenly beholden to advertisers or corporate philosophies?

A bit of a rhetorical to be sure. I think the beauty of podcasts is that they are analogous with locally produced public access television. Some of it is good, experimental and thought provoking, but most of it is something closer to two aging Bohunk lesbians playing requests for Led Zep's Kashmir on a 3-piece drum kit and a Hammomd organ.

I think the moment any podcast gets picked up by a broadcaster it's core essense is co-opted.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby buzzbishop » Wed May 31, 2006 8:56 am

I dont think anything we say on our podcast would be impacted by an advertising. We try to be on opposite sides of an issue so it has an illusion of "fair and balanced", so even if a beer company thinks its their right to dictate editorial, their point of view would be recognized.

I think you're a little paranoid, however, if you think advertisers dictate editorial content. Sure, the memo to CHED and past experience with the CKNW and the Canucks shows that a major client can use some leverage, but when it comes to the meat and potatoes of politics and pop culture your hosts can rip on Harper or Campbell or whoever every single day and you'll still get those ad dollars when the next election rolls around.

How would it change if we were on "real radio"?? We'd put a lot more research into it, it would be a lot tighter and I would resist the urge to swear. I don't think our opinions would change at all.
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed May 31, 2006 9:22 am

CBS' KYCY 1550 in San Francisco is 100% podcasts. They have been doing this for close to a year now as KYOU Radio.

KYCY San Francisco website
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed May 31, 2006 10:00 am

"I dont think anything we say on our podcast would be impacted by an advertising. We try to be on opposite sides of an issue so it has an illusion of "fair and balanced", so even if a beer company thinks its their right to dictate editorial, their point of view would be recognized."

Fair point, although is is more often the case in this issue, it's not what you might choose to talk about but rather those things you choose to not talk about.

"I think you're a little paranoid",

Nice diagnosis there Fraser Crane...

"if you think advertisers dictate editorial content."

I think that to say that advertisers dictate content might be overstating it. However where content choice in the traditional media is concerned, I think it's safe to say that they influence it.

"Sure, the memo to CHED and past experience with the CKNW and the Canucks shows that a major client can use some leverage, but when it comes to the meat and potatoes of politics and pop culture your hosts can rip on Harper or Campbell or whoever every single day and you'll still get those ad dollars when the next election rolls around."

Not always as obvious as a memo is it?

"I don't think our opinions would change at all."

And that's likely because (and I say this with all due respect as the two of you seem to be above the din that passes for communication today), you have not yet truly stated your opinions on a majority of the topics you've podcasted. What I've heard is more of a witty, articulate rehashing of points.

Oh, but thanks for the shout-out - it made me giggle.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed May 31, 2006 10:44 am

The reality of podcasting is that unless you are getting paid at some point you are going to stop doing them. Is CBS paying to air the podcasts in San Francisco or are chumps sending them in and getting nothing but an ego boost out of the deal?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 am

tuned wrote: The reality of podcasting is that unless you are getting paid at some point you are going to stop doing them. Is CBS paying to air the podcasts in San Francisco or are chumps sending them in and getting nothing but an ego boost out of the deal?

an ego boost has value. Maybe less for broadcasters as we are used to hearing ourselves on the radio or see ourselves on TV... but for the everyday types who listen more than talk... getting on the radio worht the stunts that get them there.

I have been making my podcast for a little over half a year. Not many downloads... but it fun to make, connects with a few more listeners than the the FM could and gives me a chance as a broadcaster to have a free form program.

Its like practise for broadcasters.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed May 31, 2006 11:00 am

And until you're paid, what's being produced is not a commodity - change that equation and you change the nature of the process.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby buzzbishop » Wed May 31, 2006 11:20 am

Ricky Gervais is getting paid. You have to pay for his podcast now. 3 million downloads dictated a revenue model would follow.

Diggnation and TWiNE have some product placement to them, and that may be a source of revenue, but really, they just serve to underscore a person's expertise. Same with Rick Steves.

Have a look at the downloads and you'll see the reach of these podcasts outstrips the 8a news on NW - gotta be some money in that somewhere!

Now people like Rick Steves and Leo Laporte may not make a lot of money from their podcasts, but it generates web traffic and loyalty which in turn generates book sales and google ad revenue.

Just because you don't get paid to podcast doesnt mean you dont get paid in the end.

I like what Destro said about this being "practice". What Roger and I are doing is no different than what Jamie McD does with his radio stuff from his bedroom. Aint nothing wrong with practice.
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 am

"I like what Destro said about this being "practice". What Roger and I are doing is no different than what Jamie McD does with his radio stuff from his bedroom. Aint nothing wrong with practice."

I'm pretty certain that there's a whole world of difference in terms of the type of practice that Jamie does in his bedroom.

I'm mean, you guys have actually kissed real live girls right?

Oh shit, you did specify "radio" practice.

Nevermind.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia