Larry & Willy = History

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Larry & Willy = History

Postby whenindoubt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Red probably knows it better than anyone else.
whenindoubt
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:37 pm

It's somewhat sad to see Larry and Willy suddenly on the beach (even though they'rre still getting paid for 14 or 15 months).

In a year's time how relevant will they be in the Vancouver market? There's not a lot of options available to them. They're not kids anymore. They weren't kids when they arrived in Vancouver
20 odd years ago. When they started at Jack and they station had a 14 or 15 share, their salary was justified. With the numbers Jack has today, how could they justify paying a morning show
$200,000.00 or even $150,000.00, let alone the million.

I hope the boys have invested well. Once the big payday is history, reality sucks. Just ask Jim Fraser, Doc Harris or any other once high profile radio person.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31 am

I don't think L&W will have any problems whatsoever getting work next year. With Bell having to unload a few stations, the Vancouver radio landscape will be different, with at least one new player (Vista? NewCap? an independent group?) taking the properties and probably looking for a high-profile heritage morning show that will help them make an impact in the market.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby hud » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 am

Listen to Red for he knows of what he speaks..you can triple the numbers in one book and still get fired. I know, I've been there...more than a few times. Hey, you wanna be in radio..here, say this and after you say that then push this here button, Okay, you got that. Sorry kid, what's your name again?... And down the rabbit hole it goes to the hushed monotones of a darkened boardroom where in the middle of the table there's an empty satchel and much discussion of how to fill it to the brim with money .That's a long way from opening a mike to an audience on a beautiful West Coast day and having yourself a great time for a few hours.
Sigh
hud

Previous

Return to British Columbia