I guess they forgot

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 am

I guess in the rush to cut the bottom line at the Black Tower this past week, somebody forgot that there was shifts to be covered. Did they not realize by showing Jeff Patterson the door, they'd have to get someone from the downsized sports department to cover Sports Talk on Saturday and Sunday nights?

Instead of having somebody host the show, NW listeners were treated to Dan Russell reruns from the past few weeks.

How friggin brilliant...the wekend before Stanley Cup finals, plus NBA finals going on and sports fans are treated to a rerun show.

Someone I spoke with suggested maybe they were just doing a trial run for the new AM 730 which will thrive on running reruns of NW talk shows. :P
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:47 am

radiofan wrote:
How friggin brilliant...the wekend before Stanley Cup finals, plus NBA finals going on and sports fans are treated to a rerun show.

For what it is worth, I saw a complaint in the Usenet Vancouver General message base about the changes.
PMC

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:57 am

for those of us not in the big city or those of us not overly technically inclined....what in the hell does the last post mean?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:03 pm

...that a group of stunned-parent's-basement-dwelling-tech-geeks have taken a few moments from playing Dungeons and Dragons and have posted their concerns about the Corus bloodletting on a forum.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Howard Stern » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 pm

the idiots are replaying Bill Good...the girl doing the traffic reports today is irritating!
Howard Stern

Postby PMC » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Top Dog wrote:for those of us not in the big city or those of us not overly technically inclined....what in the hell does the last post mean?

A little history... along time ago in cyberspace, before there was the world wide web, many computer users had a university or military connection to a network called DARPA. The pre internet. University profs/researchers would share information they found/discovered etc.

Local users of micro computers would connect to bulletin board systems via a modem and dialup phone line. One network that was popular for BBS's was called FIDO, and it continues to exist today.

In the 80's when I ran a bbs, there were twenty five thousand FIDO bbs's scattered around the world, and all connected via a phone line to share a variety of things... similar to how the internet is today.

The internet runs on broadband... news people know what broadband is, because radio stations used it for news voice reports etc.

Usenet was a message base, that covered a variety of topics that expanded as time passed. Universities would connect to central servers to access these message bases.

The BBS operator would dialup to a central server, and download what ever message bases he/she wanted to carry on the BBS. The BBS operator did not have to have a Usenet message base, there were similar others and FIDO had their own as example.

Usenet continues to exist today, some of it is very good and some of it, is now pure garbage.

You can access Usenet via your Internet Service Provider. As example if you have Telus or Shaw as an ISP, each provides a connection to Usenet as part of your internet package.

You can connect to Usenet with most e-mail software that supports Usenet... Microsoft's Outlook Express is one, Mozilla's Thunderbird is another. There are also separate Usenet software products that have some extra bells and whistles if you seriously get into Usenet.

I suggest that you give it a try, get an understanding of it, but be cautious of the information that is read/supplied. Don't believe everything, don't be offended, and don't offend, probably sums it up.

For a full detailed explaination click this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
PMC

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:18 pm

Great summation and explanation PMC ... Thanks !
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:04 am

Geez Pluto, I think that my summation was just as accurate.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 am

Biff = Best short answer.

PMC = Best long answer.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:32 am

That's better.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:52 am

Top Dog wrote: for those of us not in the big city or those of us not overly technically inclined....what in the hell does the last post mean?

Very simple, T.D. Configure your news reader via your web browser (in IE, it's in tools, then go to read news) then subscribe to the newsgroup VAN.GENERAL.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:54 am

JB gets award for the best larry lunch bucket approach to tellin the woof woofer where to go

I just think each individual station should be managed independently. I
don't care if the ownership is the same but the mngmt should be
seperate. Having the same mngmt of radio stations thwarts competition.
Be interesting to see what TEAM does with the Canucks broadcasts.

Matt Ion wrote:
> Greg Carr wrote:
> > I think the CRTC should do something about one radio station just
> > rebroadcasting what another station of the corporate empire did
> > elsewhere.
>
> Why? It's their station, it's their money to lose if the idea doesn't fly.

thanks I will monitor Van. Gen for a bit
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:52 am

Corus exists because of guys like Matt. It's their station? As long as dullard members of society have that attitude towards the public airwaves we are going to get more of the same.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia