How's all traffic, all repeats?

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby tuned » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:12 pm

I've been out of town and unable to listen to the "launch" of all traffic, all repeats 730. Is it a bunch of amateurish kids cribbing traffic reports from WX or major market voices backed by producers broadcasting accurate traffic information? I mean Corus would have learned their lesson from NW2 right? Thanks in advance for any updates.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Love to help out, but when I listened to the All Traffic debacle last night - I didn't hear a single traffic report. There was a replay of Michael Smith that went on and on and on. I lasted about 15 minutes. Not once did I hear a traffic update. Maybe someone forgot to memo Tom and Ian that 'continuous' means without interruption. Those big words are hard to handle!
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:27 pm

This just in on the "Best of Dan Russell and Sportstalk" it will be the Oilers and Canes in the Stanley Cup Final.

Meanwhile, on the "Best of Bill Good" a plot to blow up the Black Tower. McKeachie Marjanovich Patterson and Price all being sold 3 tonnes of fake fertilizer by some undercovers.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:47 am

tuned wrote: I've been out of town and unable to listen to the "launch" of all traffic, all repeats 730. Is it a bunch of amateurish kids cribbing traffic reports from WX or major market voices backed by producers broadcasting accurate traffic information? I mean Corus would have learned their lesson from NW2 right? Thanks in advance for any updates.

Tuned, I missed the first hour but was told there were technical gaffes. I won't fault that. Those things happen. That's understandable.

But when I listened, it was a mish-mash of information that would not help me get to or from anywhere. For a half-hour, I heard such and such is now cleared as a "lead story." Commuters don't need to know where the accidents are NOT taking place a half hour after they're cleared.

Hey J.J.!! I realise you get six figures and have a cushy office and pension plan while I don't, but here's some advice on how to format an information station:

If you've set up a clock, let the listeners in on it, okay? Tell them borders are at :10 and :40, ferries are at :05, :35, flights at :25, :55 or whatever. Promo the crap out of your times. That'll give people who want to know specific information about borders, ferries, planes, and so on a reason to tune in. I don't know many people who will tune in on the off-chance they'll hear something specific they want to know.

Right now, it's just blah-blah-uninteresting-blah-blah by some guy or girl who you'd expect on the speaker at the Wendy's Drive-Thru and not in radio.

Feel free to pay me a lush consultant fee for my advice.

cArtie.

P.S.: I also was told the rerun of the Dan Russell Show on Monday contained a reference to listening to McKeachie on MOJO for more info. Someone couldn't be bothered to edit out that?
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:57 am

Hmm sounds like they are going the cheapwad route. *shocked*
I think we need to get our own version of the office pool going here. When does repeat radio bite the dust? Put me down for ten squares in the month after the fall book comes out. I'd also be willing to go in on the "Date Koenigsfest is promoted to GM" pool.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:54 am

I agree with the above poster about putting certain transportation methods at certain times. Now it's all mixed up and sounds borring as hell. They need to figure out a timeclock.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:08 pm

I still think AM 730 should go 70's. I mean hardcore-get-the-funk-out-of-here-groovybaby-far-
out 70's with throwback DJ's and old beat-up tie-dyed VW vans as station vehicles.

Where is the hole in the cluster? Music is less expensive to program, there's no-one doing exclusive 70's in the market, and the people who grew up in the 70's are in their 40's and 50's.

70's on 730 just seems to be so natural...
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Cartie, your post was right on. With some better onair branding, there is no reason why this traffic think couldn't work, at leat a little.

I would suspect, that they will get there one day, seems to me they just sort of threw this on the air and are fixing in the mix as they say.

My old man was telling me about the 80-20 rule of corporations, when you are 80 percent ready, you go to market and fix the the other 20 percent as you go.

speaking of papa Destro, he'd be all over a 70 format on AM radio.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 pm

I joked on an earlier thread that the next format for AM 730 might be all-Shell Busey. What a mistake! Someone in Corus HQ must have read the board and thought to themselves it was a great idea. Just caught a few minutes of Shell on Shaw Channel 4 with Fanny. He was so excited that his Home Discovery show on Saturday mornings will be simulcast on NW and AM 730 and then repeated on AM 730 Saturday afternoons starting this weekend. The all-Shell station could be just a few months away!!!!!!!!!
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:44 am

Stn Brk wrote:I joked on an earlier thread that the next format for AM 730 might be all-Shell Busey.? Just caught a few minutes of Shell on Shaw Channel 4 with Fanny.? He was so excited that his Home Discovery show on Saturday mornings will be simulcast on NW and AM 730 and then repeated on AM 730 Saturday afternoons starting this weekend. The all-Shell station could be just a few months away!!!!!!!!!

Folks, this isn't such a bad idea.

Let's keep it on the back burner until the next Townhall, and then hit J.J. with it when he's right in the middle of his heartfelt monologue about why Corus has reluctantly decided to pull the plug on AM730 Continuous Traffic due to the fact that no one was listening.

By the way - we're still waiting for someone to file a report about the Corus boat cruise that J.J. took what's left of the staff on a couple of days ago to reassure everyone that their jobs were safe.

I guess it was fairly successful. Only two people jumped overboard.

Pluto - Living the Corus Values Since 1999
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:17 am

does corus still have a suggestion box on the 20th floor?
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 am

kat wrote:does corus still have a suggestion box on the 20th floor?

No, not anymore.

J.J. ripped it off the wall and used it to pass out pink slips during the last Corus Corporate Cleansing bash a couple of weeks ago.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:05 pm

Corporate Cleansing - I like that. Captures the essence of life in the Black Tower.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Primitive » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:27 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote: This just in on the "Best of Dan Russell and Sportstalk" it will be the Oilers and Canes in the Stanley Cup Final.

Why did they let Jeff Patterson go? Now CKNW is running "best of" shows from 9 to midnight on weekends in the old Sports Talk Weekend slot. Heaven forbid people be allowed to talk sports on the weekend, when the games actually occur.
Primitive
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 pm

Less than a week after killing off MOJO because there didn't appear to be an audience for a second sports station, why did the "brains at NW" [an oxymoron] decide to run Oilers / Hurricanes Stanley Cup games?

To top it off, the play by play they are running isn't the crew from CHED, but instead it's an NHL Radio feed...complete with US commercials.. How stupid is that?

Day by day the Black Tower gets stranger and stranger.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia