The Bro Jake Show on 1040 - Greg Douglas review

Radio News from British Columbia

The Bro Jake Show on 1040 - Greg Douglas review

Postby Blabbermouth » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:10 am

(Excerpted from Greg Douglas' column in the Saturday Sept. 14th Vancouver Sun sports section)

SHORT HOPS: The debut this week of the Bro Jake Show with David Pratt on Team 1040 has been met with mixed reaction.
They came up with a quality lineup of guests but Bro Jake has to rid himself of old Rock 101 habits like giving his pal Neil Macrae air time.
Listeners learned quickly that Bro Jake does have a keen interest in sports and has access to sports personalities he's partied with over the years.
Pratt was of sound judgment through the first week, wisely avoiding some of Bro Jake's risqué routines that, hopefully, will disappear in time.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/neat ... z2erwseW6f
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Re: The Bro Jake Show on 1040 - Greg Douglas review

Postby former tv guy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 am

So the 'mixed reaction' is based on Dr. Sport's listening?

I was surprised that there wasn't a clash of egos and that Pratt seems to know he is second banana.
How long that will last is anyone's guess.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:28 pm

Pratt doesn't seem like a "2nd banana" type of guy. I wonder how long that will last.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Rule number one in Radio? Never place the two biggest egos in the same studio and expect anything but a train wreck.

The Holiday will last about a month. Pratt thinks he is Jim Rome and Bro Jake has a mile wide, inch deep grip, on Sports - but, of course, he knows everything.

Jake is a power jock and Pratt is a broadcaster that has to be reminded....there is NO I IN TEAM.

This was a ratings Hail Mary for this tin pot station. While the Canucks play Minnesota, yet again, I am sure the fans will just be eating this stuff up.

NOT.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm

hagopian wrote:....there is NO I IN TEAM.

There is no U in TEAM, either... but there is a ME in there if you juggle the letters around a bit ...

;-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Not impressed at all, but who am I to judge. Agree with Dr. Sport and his writings.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:51 pm

J Kendrick > meaning?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Ross Ewage » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Bro Jake should just let go of Neil and move on.

Neil's schtick passed it's best before date when Frosty left NW.

Once the personality challenged Till was in place, there was no need for a Neil.

The Neil that ended up on Br Jake's Rock 101 show was just an angry old rich guy who gets a woody anytime he can swear on the air. There was no real reason for him to be there. And there isn't any reason
today on Team 1040.
Ross Ewage
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:01 pm

... the bro jake show sounds fantastic! remove some of the vancouver-specific references and it could easily be mistaken as originating from los angeles or new york. is there any other radio show in vancouver that even comes close to sounding as good? not that i've heard ...
radio guy
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:14 pm

radio guy wrote:...is there any other radio show in vancouver that even comes close to sounding as good? not that i've heard ...

You said a mouthful there. Love it or hate it, at least one station is trying to shake things up on the air. It's your move CKNW.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Some of the most successful sports radio stations have had morning shows that were light on actual "sports." You may have hard of WFAN.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:
radio guy wrote:...is there any other radio show in vancouver that even comes close to sounding as good? not that i've heard ...

You said a mouthful there. Love it or hate it, at least one station is trying to shake things up on the air. It's your move CKNW.

... thanks for your reply. from another perspective, it's interesting to consider what's happened with the 1040 frequency. 1040's gone from fluctuating formats and unstable ownership to becoming part of the bell media family with, arguably, the most high-profile morning show in the city at the moment. that's quite a turnaround!
Last edited by radio guy on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radio guy
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:

How many stations need to shake things up? I'd say quite a few are happy with the way things are.
And thanks for using capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby radio guy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 pm

... i'd say the biggest winner out of this is pratt. this morning show gig should raise his profile considerably. the bro jake show is a major career milestone for pratt ...

... as well, seating pratt next to bro jake puts him in a perfect position to replace jake should jake move on at some point. and c'mon, something this good surely can't last. sure hope it does though!

:razz:
radio guy
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia