CFUN drops rock

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:09 am

this note from correspondent Red Robinson

No further word on CFUN radio going to a talk format but Tom Lucas, who moved from CISL to CFUN for a two hour Saturday night show, has ended the program at the outlet. He can now be heard on the frequency with a Real Estate program.

www.redrobinson.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 am

Gee what a shame. I hadn't heard Lucas since he weas tossed from CISL several years ago. I guess some guys just know when to hang up the headphones and get a job they are more suited to.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Hey, a little respect plaese. Tom Lucas is a career broadcaster, and one that I looked up to as a kid. I loved hearing the CFUN nightime skip into Calgary as a kid. Smooth delivery. Haven't heard him in years, but I figure as long as someone's still willing to pay the guy, he still has a career. And probably bills to pay, so good for him. In his day, he was "cream of the crop." If he's still doin' it, good on him! And what might be more suited to him? If he's a career broadcaster, likely this is all he knows. I'll bet that when he's still on the air, he can pull things off like "warmth" and "compassion."
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:38 pm

and you mean, being a personality too? I thought that was against everything radio was today. You are not allowed to be a personality anymore. You tell what is being played, you tell what station you are working for, and that's it. Otherwise shut up.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:55 pm

In the last week or so I was going thru a box of casettes and came across an aircheck of Tom Lucas' last day at CFUN from the late 70's/early 80's. As I recall he was leaving to go to CKVU-TV. I'll try to post a portion of it soon on the airchecks page.

Here's a pic of "The Luker" from 1973 when he was at GO-14 in Ottawa.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:00 am

That's a damned shame. A few weeks back, I was driving back from an assignment and was punching around presets before managing to catch a good chunk of his Saturday night show on CFUN. What a treat! He was taking requests, putting people on the air, and talking with folks who sounded genuinely thrilled with the mix of tunes.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:22 am

It seems that anytime anyone on the air in this town starts to sound like they're having some fun, the plug is pulled.

Would it have killed CFUN to let Tom continue with his show?

Listener interaction, phonecalls, hand-picked music from a pro who's been doing it for years? No, we can't have that kind of stuff polluting the airwaves.

It wasn't too many years ago that this kind of broadcasting was the norm, not the exception.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby felix » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:00 pm

CFUN calls have to be "Heritage" on the west coast. Would be great to hear
them on an entertaining personality music station again.
P.S. For Radiofan....Love the new site. Great work.
felix

Postby tuned » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm

It ain't gonna happen. CFUN is to CHUM what 730 is to Corus. Just another frequency to warehouse and whore out. Pretty hard for a great guy like Lucas to thrive in a what can only be described as a radio ghetto. The station is a throw-a-way.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:00 pm

yeah, CFUN could use a little spice. But the powers that be would ask why? and I woundn't have much of an answer outside of, "b/c it would be cool."
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:37 am

Tom Lucas affiliated with a specific realty company? Did a search but nothing turned up connecting him with real estate.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:47 am

I tuned in yesterday, but Tom's show was over and there was someone flogging vitamins. I don't think he mentions a specific real estate company.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:50 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Tom Lucas affiliated with a specific realty company? Did a search but nothing turned up connecting him with real estate.

I don't think that he's physically selling real estate.

I haven't heard the show but I believe that it may be some sort of real estate informercial program that he is hosting.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm

CFUN radio
Real Estate Show
1 to 2 pm
Saturday

gosh I have to wait a whole week to find out
by next weekend I shall have forgot

maybe Tom is in the book
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Donovan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:13 pm

I was also sorry to see Tom's oldies show be pulled. But while the music was great, and Tom better than I've heard him sound in a long time, you could tell the fanbase wasn't there. This is by no means a criticism of Tom, but of the station itself. would the same people who listen to "Health Talk" and "Coast To coast AM" stick around for a "retro-rock" program? If they had given it time, and a couple extra hours, I think the audience could be found. As it was, it was only two hours for six months, with tom celling his own airtime.

As for the Real Estate show, there's a mention of "Tom Lucas Productions" at the end, but I can't find anything relating to that online. It would be great to hear Tom playing music again. No one can work the phones or hit the posts like Tom! That aside, hopefully the new show remains profitable. Best of luck Tom!
PS-Radiofan, please post that CFUN aircheck.
Donovan

Return to British Columbia