Mispronunciations and other errors heard on CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

Mispronunciations and other errors heard on CKNW

Postby kal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Here are a few from recent days:

1. Sports: collaborate when the needed word was corroborate ... "we couldn't collaborate the tip."

2. Talk show host: duplicious when he meant duplicitous

3. News reader: anti-sematic instead of anti-semitic (in reference to a Richmond story)

I don't recall hearing these sorts of mistakes in the past. And certainly not with the frequency they have nowadays.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Mispronunciations and other errors heard on CKNW

Postby pave » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:47 pm

People who talk more better want bigger dollars.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Too bad there isn't a "Doug Short" type person around when you need him/her.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Nifty stuff on 'WX this early afternoon: "New West-minister" and "indicate" instead of "indict." Both in less than 3 minutes. Young male, good voice but like so many others, drops the "g" from the ends of words.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I think this problem is indicative of young people these days, as they have been growing up, not listening to the news. They are not hearing the correct pronunciation of somewhat rare words like "indict;" so when they come across these words in news copy, they haven't a clue how to pronounce them, and don't even know what the meaning of the words are.

We hear similar mispronunciations of foreign leaders' names, particularly when some leader from the past dies. The young news reader has never heard of the person before because they did not pay attention to the news growing up and they just take a run at the pronunciation of the foreign name as if it were written in English.

It all points to a lack of general knowledge on the part of the young news reader.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:57 pm

At least we haven't had an instance of a news reader mishandling the Chinese leader's name. Apparently a news reader in India was fired after reading his name, Xi Jinping, as Eleven Jinping. Those pesky Roman numerals.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 pm

"Sunnies and Sheets" is still my recent favourite. Afternoon Drive on a major market radio station in top of the hour news.

Always seemed like it should have been followed by a Johnny Carson ka-boom and Bill Drake saying "And the Beat Goes On" so that we all knew that nobody could be that stupid.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 am

And either the Saturday or Sunday 8 am news a week ago,(think it was Sunday's) with one of the women... a story about Prince Edward somewhere in Canada handing out the "Duke of Edinburg Awards" (hard 'g'). At the time, I was still getting over "... has fell"... along with my pet peeve, the grating "eh" for 'a' in front of consonants. Time for my blood pressure medication!

On the "eh" front, I was watching BBC World briefly last night, and noticed it there as well. I guess it's a losing battle if the Beeb allows it.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Heard within the past week on CBC radio news - Russian President Vladimir Poutine. Guess the man is not just dangerous, but also delicious.

We shouldn't be too hard on the youngsters. Those of who are old enough to remember how to splice reel to reel tape may recall a certain well respected devout Christian newscaster on CKNW who got Juan de Fuca Strait wrong. To be more precise, he messed up 'Fuca'. I'll leave it to you imagination.....
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 pm

You hate to be too hard on the kids but when it happens several times in a newscast you have to wonder who is controlling the quality at NW. What you are seeing is the results of kids being fastracked from broadcast school to a major market newsroom thanks to their renumeration package and tenure which looks good on the bottom line.

What is shocking is that it's almost like no one is reviewing their performance with them, I assume this means their boss doesnt care how they sound.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Coolcat:

The word is "remuneration" referring to pay. There is no such word as "renumeration."
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm

There is no such word as "renumeration."
Unless it just means counted twice during an election enumeration?
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Alan A » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:29 pm

From the lead story of Monday's 10 PM Newscast.

"43 year old Raymond Lee Caissie has been charged with the second degree murder of 17 year old Serena Vermeersch earlier today."

I could have sworn the murder took place last week.

Shouldn't the phrasing have been "Earlier today, 43 year old Raymond Lee Caissie ..."

As others have said, it's too bad these poor kids no longer get to learn the business and learn how to read before being thrown on air in a major market.

This isn't just happening in Vancouver, it's a nationwide epidemic. The old training grounds are now automated jukeboxes that no longer have local news, likewise with the secondary markets etc etc
Alan A

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am

Is the tense not wrong as well?
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 am

The standards of news reporting are tumbling everywhere...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 59543.html
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia