Mispronunciations and other errors heard on CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Mispronunciations and other errors heard on CKNW

Postby kal » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:57 pm

But then that's the pharmacy/pharmacist that promises a cure for pain in 90 s (or is it 30 s?).
kal
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Fillinguy wrote:WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!!! For me, the only phone call from an angry listener (over my own occasional incompetence) was following a 10pm rip and read... the first time I had ever seen a certain name in print. the name was Ramon Hnatyshyn. I felt like I had been shot. I cut a little slack now for others.

A few decades ago, being on air in Trail meant treading carefully with Italian pronunciations, while trying to decipher similar names of Spanish background for correct delivery.

Not being much of a sports nut, I hit Cesare Maniago cold one day with "chez' - uh - ray" instead of plain Caesar, and got a rousing welcome at the local pub in the afternoon (the Arlington if you must ask).
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Those are great posts about Ray Hnatyshyn and Cesare Maniago. Seeing names like those for the very first time could be daunting.

Recently I've heard Justin "Drex" Wilcomes using "mischievious". It's clear that "mischievous" wasn't drummed into him in elementary school. It wasn't isolated either... twice, on successive days if I recall correctly.

Speaking of Drex, are there any specific Numeris numbers for his time slot? Even though I only listen sporadically at that time I do hear people talking about the show and that can only be a good thing.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

A couple of things I heard on NW News early this morning.

Listeners were assured there woould be no shortage of Christmas Turkeys at local supermarkets this year. "There will be plenty on store shelves". Really, would anybody buy a turkey off a shelf? One that's not refrigerated in a freezer? That could be worse than Avian Flu!

The second story in the cast was about a father and daughter found safe after getting lost at Whistler. CTV news had that story (along with video) on Saturday. Did the NW folks just read about this in The Sun or Province this morning and realized the weekend deskers had missed the story when it was news?

Evening and late night traffic reports would be nice if they were more than the same old press releases about ongoing roadwork. There is more going on than scheduled skytrain work and sewer replacements.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:35 pm

As heard on 'NW this afternoon, from a relatively senior reporter ... in discussion with Michael Eckford.

"While driving last week... I hit the puddle and literally had a heart attack..."

Seems that the medical care must have been pretty good to be back on the job after just a week.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Then ...a couple of weeks ago...the 7pm newsreader told of a woman who was placed in the back of a police cruiser and later found to have died back there. As the reporter reported "She was found non-rensponsible"...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby drex » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Honest mistake, I always thought it was "mischievious" but thank you for the correction.
drex

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm

drex wrote:Honest mistake, I always thought it was "mischievious" but thank you for the correction.

actually, either or either of them works.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am

This afternoon in the "drive home" slot heard this one from the host.

"Children strive on "no"". I didn't catch the beginning on the segment but believe it concerned a friend of the host who allowed his children to do as they pleased. I'm assuming the host meant to say "Children 'thrive' on 'no''".

And although it didn't run on 'NW, I also heard this evening one of those American lawyer commercials...

"If you've you've suffered blot clots, numbness or death (from such and such) call right now." Death? Call now?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:43 am

kal wrote:"If you've you've suffered blot clots, numbness or death (from such and such) call right now." Death? Call now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTg0WpJLyhA

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:23 pm

kal wrote:This afternoon in the "drive home" slot heard this one from the host.

"Children strive on "no"". I didn't catch the beginning on the segment but believe it concerned a friend of the host who allowed his children to do as they pleased. I'm assuming the host meant to say "Children 'thrive' on 'no''".

And although it didn't run on 'NW, I also heard this evening one of those American lawyer commercials...

"If you've you've suffered blot clots, numbness or death (from such and such) call right now." Death? Call now?

I am still fascinated with why you, kal, listen to this station.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Couldn't agree more with you Howsaboutthat.

I don't know anybody who listens to CKNW anymore. And I think these tiny grammatical errors are the least of their problems. I don't mind the odd bit of bad grammar as long as it was accompanying some entertaining content.

Sadly that aint the case with NW these days.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:48 pm

[quote][/qactually, either or either of them works.]

Not if you pay attention as to how the word is spelled (correctly).
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Actually I'm a station hopper. I'll listen to 'NW, News1130 and CBU on a typical drive to or from work. Occasionally I'll hop over to Rock 101 on the morning commute. Along my route all three of the AM stations are hit by static, particularly around Gaglardi along the freeway. That's when I switch to FM, mostly for CBC.

I actually quite like some of the change made to the lineup at 'NW.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 pm

I just tuned into NW to see what's on Coast To Coast tonight. What a dog's breakfast. Following the 10 PM Dead Air. No C2C. More Dead Air. Then a barrage of commercials and promos. The highlight was the News Intro playing in amongst the promofest. All the sudden we get two promos playing at the same time and then C2C in the mix. Amateur small market radio at it's best.

Some would call it operator error. More correctly, it would be Operator's Boss error. In the old days, you were trained until you knew what all the buttons were for.

More .. in the first commercial break, they just started a spot and bailed after 10 seconds to join program in progress.

Cosat sounds boring tonight, so time to shut off the radio.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia