AM730 Continuous Drive Time Traffic

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:49 pm

Well if there was ever a good opportunity for AM730 to show their stuff it was this morning when an accident caused westbound traffic on Highway 1 to come to a complete standstill.

Their sell-line 'you will never have to wait for a traffic report again', of course, turns out to be a bold-faced lie.

I caught the last half-hour of a replay of Dan Russell's Sportstalk program that they were running and thirty-five minutes elapsed before a traffic report on AM730 was actually broadcast.

At 11:56 they went into a break and ran two back-to-back traffic intros & a traffic promo - but no actual traffic report.

Then when Russell came back with his sign-off after the break they ran the similcast of the 'NW noon newscast right over top of him.

When they finally managed to get a traffic report on the air at 12:04, it was a complete mess and in no way relayed to any listeners the seriousness of the situation.

Meanwhile CKWX was all over it and accurately reported what was going on.

I was heading eastbound on the Port Mann Bridge and vehicles in the westbound lanes were PARKED, with their motors shut off.

People were outside of their cars, wandering around the bridgedeck, and sunbathing in the middle of the road.

So my question to the idiots running AM730 would be:

Whatever happened to never having to wait for a traffic report again - I waited 34 minutes you dolts, and then your report was crap.

I know it doesn't do any good to come on this board and constantly complain about this joke of a station but it makes me feel better.

AM730 is without a doubt the worst radio station in Vancouver, if not the entire country.

The really scary thing though is that their management team not only doesn't seem to care about their stupidity, they're proud of it.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:25 pm

I was working in the yard and heard the non stop stream of sirens so I knew something was up in the area. In the old days, I would tune into NW to see what was up, but nowadays it's NEWS 1130 that I go to.

Once again, they didn't let me down. Bruce Williams was on top of the situation in his traffic reports and the news people carried on with updates as they were available.

I guess if it doesn't happen in rush hour, AM 730 won't even know it happened.

Cut the life support Corus, this turkey ain't gonna fly either! :unsure:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:11 pm

I was listening to the NW News simulcast on 730 today and the guy reading the news actually started clearing his throat on the air. I think it was the 1pm cast. I also tune in to 1130 if there is breaking news.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:57 pm

Ya, the damn traffic was backed all into my area (Fraser Heights) because all the westbound traffic thinks they can cut through Fraser Heights turning off at the 160th st. Exit, to get onto the 152 St. on ramp to #1. It was insane! 730 had nothing! 1130 had it all covered.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia