Globe and Mail Latremouille story

Radio News from British Columbia

Globe and Mail Latremouille story

Postby radiofan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 am

Broadcaster Fred Latremouille was a staple of Vancouver airwaves
TOM HAWTHORN
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 20 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Fred Latremouille’s voice, as smooth as cream liqueur, provided a background soundtrack for British Columbia’s baby boomers, who aged along with the popular broadcaster.

He first hit the airwaves in Vancouver at the age of 17 in 1962, building a following on Top 40 radio stations as a disc jockey spinning the latest rock and pop singles. By his 30s, he had transformed from swinging teenaged heartthrob to wisecracking television weatherman. His final public act was as an amiable and affable morning radio host alongside Cathy Baldazzi, a traffic reporter who would become his wife, on a laid-back show called Latremornings.

The death of Mr. Latremouille from liver disease at 69 shocked many of his fans, as his boyish visage and youthful vigour gave him an ageless presence.

A familiar voice on the airwaves for decades, Mr. Latremouille had the ability to connect with his audience, making him a much in-demand pitchman for radio and television commercials, where he displayed a deft comic touch.

Like many of his peers, Mr. Latremouille came to radio broadcasting as something of a loner, a boy who moved often and heard on the airwaves the exciting sounds of Elvis Presley and early rock ’n’ roll, finding in it an unseen community that shared his interests.

Read the full story at: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e23570700/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Globe and Mail Latremouille story

Postby kal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:33 am

What a wonderful piece. There's no doubt you'll be laughing out loud after reading the full article.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:48 pm

This Globe piece puts the Vancouver Papers in the shade.

Lovely, poignant, and right with the facts.

I still can't seem to process that one of my best friends and nicest people I have ever known, is gone.

I will miss Freddie, terribly.

This was such an elegant eulogy, I was very pleased.

Well done.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Fred Latremouille and Roy Hennessy ... as Froyed... and "Grubby Thursday"... introduced by Darryl B.

See: http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/grubbythursday.mp3
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Talking to RadioFan and he had to remind me that "Grubby Thursday" was nearly 50 years ago.

I feel old. It was very cool hearing this again, and the memories it evoked.

These guys were the reason I got into UVic Radio and then turned pro in 1968.

Really, we all had a lot of fun, and I hope that YOU have sterling memories that make you smile.

Man, I worked with some amazing people. I am glad I appreciated it then, too.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia