Lynda Steele to take over afternoon slot on CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

Lynda Steele to take over afternoon slot on CKNW

Postby kal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:09 pm

That's according to a tweet from the station in the past few minutes. She'll be starting in September.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Lynda Steele to take over afternoon slot on CKNW

Postby PMC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Does a great job with the consumer issues and concepts on ctv... I am sure she will draw a crowd.
PMC

Postby jon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:00 pm

From personal experience, as a Contact for the Edmonton Broadcasters Club, I can also add that Lynda was always anxious to cover News of retired Broadcasters, without being concerned about whether they had ever worked for "her" station. She was always the first one to phone me for more info.

After being born and spending most of her career in Edmonton, Lynda moved to Vancouver when her husband got a great job offer there. She was not new to the market, however, as she was trained at BCIT and spent some time as a CKVU reporter.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:23 pm

From a CKNW News Club email this afternoon:

I am thrilled to announce that Lynda Steele will be the new afternoon host on CKNW weekdays 2-6pm, starting in the fall. We are so pleased to have such a distinguished, experienced and accomplished storyteller join the CKNW team.

Lynda’s ability to cut to the chase will give CKNW’s audiences an intelligent, entertaining and informative perspective in the afternoon.

A graduate of BCIT's Broadcast Journalism program, Lynda was most recently the host of Steele On Your Side on CTV, and previously worked at CKVU-TV, CITV-TV Edmonton, CBC Edmonton and Global Edmonton.

We look forward to having Lynda in our building in a couple of months. Please join me in welcoming Lynda to Corus Radio Vancouver.

- Ian Koenigsfest, CKNW Brand Director
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:32 pm

So... Who's next "On Your Side"?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:57 pm

At first, I wasn't sure that Lynda had actually said she was leaving CTV (i.e. - maybe she could do both), but her Twitter streams seems to indicate she is.

Can anyone explain her comment that she will also be on BC1?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:54 pm

How many gigs does this lady have?

All respect - but there are a lot of great radio people that are on the Beach - I would have hoped Ian would have gone with a radio person.

Lynda has cred - and I guess they are hoping for instant audience. Good luck with that. The latest ratings have the money demos not in the CKNW corner and the share is shrinking fast.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:56 am

I agree with Tom.

No disrespect to Ms. Steele, but putting people from TV onto the radio because they're pleasant, attractive and recognizable is always a gamble and seldom results in interesting radio.

I also don't understand why she would jump on a sinking ship like NW. She seems to be one of the stars of that CTV newscast.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 pm

A key aspect here may likely be the Global and/or BC1 component. Let's face it, there are radio wars and there are TV wars. CTV's six o'clock news, as others have noted, has made significant gains on the flagship News Hour. Ms. Steele's segment may be a measurable component of those gains. Why Global wouldn't take her on directly is a bit of a mystery at the moment. I haven't actually seen a direct reference to Ms. Steele being on a Global segment. I do note that her 'NW show is slated for 2 pm to 5 pm, so an hour less than the current programming in that slot.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Here is Lynda saying she will be on BC1:
https://twitter.com/CTVLyndaSteele/stat ... 6088248320

I'll be on BC1!
Hfelld @noFelld
but how will we see her beautiful face on radio? @CTVLyndaSteele https://twitter.com/CKNW/status/611656986963353600
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia