Koenigsfest out at NW?

Radio News from British Columbia

Koenigsfest out at NW?

Postby flyonthewall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:07 am

Word from the Top Dog Tower is that CKNW Brand Manager Ian Koenigsfest has been wished well in his future endeavours by Corus management.

Word has it he'll be replaced by a Californian named Larry Gifford.

I cannot believe there is nobody in all of Canada that is capable of bringing CKNW back to life. Was the job opening posted?
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Koenigsfest out at NW?

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:33 am

They hire a guy from California - after hiring Aussies > how does CORUS get away with this?

I too, wonder if this job was even posted.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:58 am

Tom Jeffries wrote:They hire a guy from California - after hiring Aussies > how does CORUS get away with this?

Perhaps there was no one here qualified to undo the damage he's done. It's too bad ao many people paid with their jobs before the suits came to their senses.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:35 pm

There's a new Wal-Mart opening soon in New Westminster and they're looking to fill jobs.

Oh wait a second, their greeters know how to smile and have a personality.

Maybe Yellow Cab will take him back as a dispatcher.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I also hear that Sean Leslie has quit.

He was a great add for CKNW - and a solid broadcaster - best of luck to him.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:They hire a guy from California - after hiring Aussies > how does CORUS get away with this?

This clearly is a Temporary Foreign Worker job. The TFW Program is intended to fill jobs that no Canadians want. Clearly, no Canadian would want to micromanaged by head office the way that the top dog at Top Dog is these days, just like at most other Canadian radio corporations.

Added benefit of using the TFW is that they can pay below minimum wage when they hire someone from outside the country.

Marty Forbes is getting lots of good feedback on his article on the real problem here at http://radiowiseinc.blogspot.ca/2015/08 ... ntrol.html
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:22 pm

What a day for celebration, especially if you're one of his numerous casualties.

How does this Larry the consultant guy suddenly get IK's job when he was the one that was feeding IK and Corus bad information? They should both be gone.

I hope Sean Leslie didn't leave in protest over the removal of IK. I listened to Sean this morning and all sounded well except the third rate newswoman who couldn't read a sentence without stumbling over her Starbucks coffee mug a few times. What NW considers on air talent totally amazes me some days.

Lets hope the new Brand Manager of The Titanic shuffles the deck chairs and hurls some of the on air talent overboard!
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Jim Walters wrote:the third rate newswoman who couldn't read a sentence without stumbling over her Starbucks coffee mug a few times. What NW considers on air talent totally amazes me some days.

Every time I hear a major market station in Canada with a Newscast that is read poorly, I want to phone Mark Tamagi (Blackgold owner) and congratulate him on getting such great sounding on-air talent on his Edmonton bedroom community stations in Leduc and Stony Plain/Spruce Grove.

And, yes, they are live in studio, all day long, not a feed from Canadian Press.

For those of you who don't know about Mark, he was heavily involved in Nor-Net, back in the 1990s when they owned a lot of small market Alberta and B.C. stations. Before Telemedia took over and would simulcast Newscasts all over Central and Northern Alberta from a Newsroom in Red Deer.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm

It's interesting to look through IK's Twitter feed which presumably will disappear shortly after this post appears.

https://twitter.com/cknwnewstalk

It's particular interesting to see positive mentions of 'NW staffers who then later were let go.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:33 pm

From what I remember Ian started at NW in the early 90's. Maybe 1991??

What was the market share then compared to the share today? Radiofan should have the numbers.

IK was in charge of the talk shows. Then management handed over the news operation. Finally he was rewarded for his stellar performance by being named Program Director. Oops, Brand Manager. (Makes me think of the nice folks who roam the supermarket aisles making sure the English labels face forward on the canned goods, but never mind....)

No one to blame but himself...........
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14 pm

I believe IK started at 'Nw as the producer for TWT with Till and McComb.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 pm

As predicted above the IK Twitter feed has now been pulled.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Wonder how long until they move out of the expensive digs they are in. A radio station doesn't belong downtown if it is run properly as it will never get more or less audience based on location and should be located in suburbs or industrial zones.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:06 am

Broadcast Dialogue this morning confirms Sean Leslie's departure, saying that he is changing careers. They quote him as having 25 years in Radio.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:53 am

Those of us with even the most basic accounting skills were shocked by the original agreement for the 20th and 21st floors of the Black Tower.

The lease started out reasonably affordable but yearly increases were built in. So as time went on, NW faced higher and higher costs for the same office space. Why would anyone sign such a bonehead agreement? Well, the Griffiths family wanted to unload the stations and the CEO at the time decided the best way to do was to tart things up. Goodbye New Westminister - armpit of the Lower Mainland. Hello, fancy new digs in Downtown Vancouver. What happened over the long term wasn't an issue. They weren't going to be around long term.

Enter Shaw. And cost cuts. And staff reductions. And falling ratings. And reduced revenue. And more cost cuts. And more staff layoffs.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia