Storm Coverage on Vancouver Radio

Radio News from British Columbia

Storm Coverage on Vancouver Radio

Postby Coolcat » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am

Radio coverage for the weekend storm in greater Vancouver was more than abysmal. Tuned into WX and it appeared the storm was just part of their story rotation with some extra news on traffic and weather, I didn't expect anything from CBC and wasn't wrong and NW was worse than WX - tuned in on Sunday morning only to hear a long story about dolphins and polar bears. I like dolphins and polar bears but with reportedly close to or over half a million people without power a decent news station will do better than this. A lot of the talk during the day was how hard a time a producer or reporter faced driving or busing into work.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Re: Storm Coverage on Vancouver Radio

Postby radioman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 am

What do you expect when the weekend news readers at WX and NW for the most part are just ripping and reading off the wire? And if the wire doesn't tell them something, they don't know about it. And for a news item like a storm which has a more visual element to it than say a political story, WX and NW have probably resigned themselves to just letting TV news cover the storm and they can be content getting stories off the wire about lost dogs, crippled otters, abandoned bear cubs, and stub-toed parakeets.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:43 pm

Many people used Twitter to stay in the know, and I would bet, so did wx and nw.
PMC

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 pm

The story I heard on NW Sunday morning was an absolute joke. There was little mention of what had actually happened, and the reporter made it sound like all the power outages were in the past and had been repaired. The Lower Mainland storm story wasn't the lead story, it was buried in the middle of the four minute cast. Following the local storm story was a lengthy report from Seattle about the storm damage down there. Nice that a station with an impaired signal that barely reaches White Rock spends more time on covering something in Seattle than in their own back yard.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby whenindoubt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 pm

Why don't you call the PD for WX and NW and ask them how many people were on staff Saturday and Sunday. That might give you an idea about coverage.
whenindoubt
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 pm

There is NO ONE in the newsroom of most stations - on the weekend - and some, even during the week.

The radio coverage was a joke.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:54 pm

Early Sunday morning there was a storm related fire in an apartment complex in my neighbourhood.

I tuned into CBU Radio One for the local and regional news at 6:30 and was totally blown away to hear a live report from the fire scene.

Following the news, I went out and found the reporter, Rafferty Baker and chatted with him for a few minutes.

Nice to see somebody not only has reporters out on the street early on a Sunday Morning, but the reporter even knows the news biz and has a future in it!

Does NW or News 1130 even have beaters anymore?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby erratics » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm

If we elect the current government for another 4 years, this will likely be something that will disappear from the CBC in four years hence with budget cuts.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby whenindoubt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 am

radiofan wrote:Early Sunday morning there was a storm related fire in an apartment complex in my neighbourhood.

I tuned into CBU Radio One for the local and regional news at 6:30 and was totally blown away to hear a live report from the fire scene.

Following the news, I went out and found the reporter, Rafferty Baker and chatted with him for a few minutes.

Nice to see somebody not only has reporters out on the street early on a Sunday Morning, but the reporter even knows the news biz and has a future in it!

Does NW or News 1130 even have beaters anymore?

Rafferty is the overnight TV guy. I guess radio piggybacks on his gathering. I would assume on a Sunday morning the only people staffed at NW and WX are anchors.
whenindoubt
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:23 am

radioman wrote:What do you expect when the weekend news readers at WX and NW for the most part are just ripping and reading off the wire? And if the wire doesn't tell them something, they don't know about it. And for a news item like a storm which has a more visual element to it than say a political story, WX and NW have probably resigned themselves to just letting TV news cover the storm and they can be content getting stories off the wire about lost dogs, crippled otters, abandoned bear cubs, and stub-toed parakeets.

Andy Walsh rips and reads? How'd he get into the Canadian News Hall of Fame doing that? Maybe you should ask the Hall to revoke his membership. And his RTNDA Lifetime Achivement Award, too.

How many stories about stub-toed parakeets did he broadcast that weekend?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia