Brian Brenn passes away

Radio News from British Columbia

Brian Brenn passes away

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:55 pm

It is my sad duty to report that one of the finest news readers I have known and a good friend, Brian Brenn has passed away.

He died peacefully this morning in the Peace Arch Hospice in White Rock. Brian had been fighting cancer for about a year, but didn’t want a big fuss made about it, so those of us close to him were asked to keep it to ourselves.

Garry Raible was able to make a trip to the coast on the weekend to have a few final words with our friend.

Cancer didn’t stop Brian from having fun in his remaining months. He made one last trip to the Okanagan to play golf this summer and went back on the air at News1130 to do weekends with his buddy Andy Walsh.

My best memories of Brian are the times we had both at work and on the golf course including one special trip to the Kona Coast on the Big Island.

As long as I knew Brian, he lived his life to the fullest and I think that’s about all any of us can hope for.

It is not known at this time whether there will be a service, but it will be posted here when I find out.

Rest In Peace my friend. Birdies instead of bogies!

Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Brian Brenn passes away

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Very sad to hear this news about Brian. We only worked together briefly at the very beginning of my time at WX... back in the sixties, but I always admired his work and his intellect. My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Very sad news. Wonderful radio voice.

Here's the brief tweet from News1130 just two minutes ago:

We have some sad news to pass along about a member of our news team. Long-time anchor Brian Brenn passed away after a battle with cancer.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Condolences to Brian's family and friends. Another voice silenced way too soon.

From the Radio West archives, I've found a 1993 aircheck of Brian on the first day of Vancouver's Q-104 (CKST 1040). Q 104 was made up of many former CHQM staffers who pooled their money and resources and took over the ill fated Modern Rocker, Coast 1040.

Brian was Morning Man on the new Q 104.

Read the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=707

Go directly to the aircheck: Click Here
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:31 pm

Brian Brenn was the best talk show host Vancouver never had. He was keenly interested in politics and public affairs, and could articulate his strong opinions on the subjects very well. Some station should have grabbed him years ago to do talk radio.

Brian was never a quitter. He was determined to show he wasn't going to let his cancer get the better of him and fought his health situation to briefly return to work.

There was no doubt Brian loved radio. (The story of his investment in a local station a number of years ago and his decision to walk away from it due to disagreements with the majority owner is best told elsewhere).

Brian was an old-school professional and there was no better example of this than the time when he was broadcasting a Rogers TV news update one Hallowe'en day. The late Bruce Williams was in a dragon costume behind him trying to break him up. It didn't work. Brian signed off like nothing was happening.

I always appreciated Brian's complimentary and, at times encouraging, comments to me over the last number of years.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:40 pm

We were at Ash Street with Brian Brenn for many years.
This is very sad.
See you, Bri.
RIP.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby videopro » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:38 pm

I am so sorry to hear of Brian's passing. We quit UBC together in the spring of 1963 to go into broadcasting and both wound up at CKWX later the same year. We were like brothers in those days and worked together on many projects during the 1960's. We had the same mentor (thank you Ron) and sounded so much the same that his mother couldn't tell us apart on the air. He was, overall, one of the best Canadian broadcasters ever and I certainly treasure the great times we had together in "the old days".
R.I.P., my friend. It was a great run.
Jim Morrison
videopro

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:59 am

Passing this along from Brian's wife, Kathryn.

Dear friends,
I am in the midst of making arrangements for a party to remember Brian. It will be held on Sunday, October 25, 2015 from 2:00pm to 6:00pm at the Nico Wynd Golf Course clubhouse located at 3601 Nico Wynd Drive in Surrey.

I am pretty sure that I have missed people for whom I do not have contact information so if you wish to pass this along I would be happy for you to do so and thank you very much.
If you would like to bring an appetizer that would be greatly appreciated.

I will follow up in a week or so with any further details.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:06 pm

A few more details from Brian's wife, Kathryn...

Arrangements have been made for a gathering to remember Brian on Sunday, October 25, 2015 from 2:00pm to 6:00pm at the Nico Wynd Golf Course clubhouse located at 3601 Nico Wynd Drive in Surrey. Light refreshments will be served.
If you have a picture or anecdote that you would like to share, please print it and bring it along so it can be added to the Memory Board I will have started. I plan to make a scrapbook with all of these memories.
Brian had a special place in his heart for animals of all kinds. In lieu of flowers donations In Memory of Brian Brenn can be made to the BC SPCA Surrey Branch.
Thank you very much,
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia