Drex joins Lynda Steele on NW Afternoons

Radio News from British Columbia

Drex joins Lynda Steele on NW Afternoons

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Opposites attract as CKNW unveils new afternoon drive show “Steele and Drex”

“This unscripted show will combine Lynda’s vast journalism experience with Drex’s high energy to go beyond the headlines, telling each side of the story.”

Beginning Monday, July 18, we are thrilled to announce the launch of Steele & Drex, a new outlook on news programming that meshes the award winning journalism of Lynda Steele and the ever opinionated radio commentatory of Drex.

Offering more than just your daily news updates, Steele & Drex will report on the biggest headlines of the day while offering conversational insight into the issues making waves in Metro Vancouver.

“Steele & Drex will explore, debate, and follow their curiosity to report the news that matters most to Vancouver residents while adding their own take on the stories every weekday,” says Larry Gifford, Senior Program Director, News Talk 980 CKNW.

Beginning Monday, July 18, Steele & Drex airs weekdays from 2-6 p.m. PT and on HD Radio at 101.1 FM HD2.

http://www.cknw.com/2016/07/12/opposite ... -and-drex/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Drex joins Lynda Steele on NW Afternoons

Postby jon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Farther down the page, it says:
Drex also hosts the CKNW evening show Drex Live, which airs weeknights from 6-10 p.m. and is a regular contributor to Global News BC.

If true, that means Drex will be doing 8 hours a day live on CKNW plus whatever times it takes to do his Global News BC work.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:37 pm

jon wrote:Farther down the page, it says:
Drex also hosts the CKNW evening show Drex Live, which airs weeknights from 6-10 p.m. and is a regular contributor to Global News BC.

If true, that means Drex will be doing 8 hours a day live on CKNW plus whatever times it takes to do his Global News BC work.

Jon - I believe that line is from Drex's bio which was included with the release and it hadn't been updated.

I'm sure NW will be announcing a new evening host before next Monday. IMHO Shane Foxman would be a good choice, and he's been doing fill in on NW for the past few months.

As for Steele and Drex, I'd say this will be a good match. With Drex's years in programming and on-air, he knows how to present a drive time show and keep it interesting and on track. Steele is a great
reporter, but all her background was TV, NOT radio and that showed through and made the show hard to listen to at times. Her uncomfortableness made me feel uncomfortable as a listener. I'm hoping
this duo clicks and does well.

If NW is getting into drive time duos, why not team up Jon McComb and Simi Sara. It would be nice if Jon had someone other than his board op or producer to talk with each day.

And then of course, get back into a little NW Classic (with real live phone calls from the listeners) and add Myke Smyth in the 10 - 2 slot??
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Social media reaction to the move seems generally upbeat. The volume of tweets isn't enormous but there is little negative reaction. Most posters seem to view the dual-host move as good for both personalities and for the station. In fact, some see it as a precursor to additional dual host programming at 'NW.

Drex may have to mount a campaign to bring up his Twitter follower count (presently around 7100) to Ms. Steele's 13500.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 pm

I too hope this new duo works out. It's been a long time since there has been anything really worthwhile listening to in NW's PM drive slot.

That Eckford character drove more listeners away from NW first in the evenings, then in afternoon drive. He should never have been added to the NW lineup, but unlike Rogers and their million dollar
payouts for breaking contracts, NW makes contract people work til the end rather than doing a payout. He had been hired as Bro Jake's laugh track on CFMI when Mike Reno left. Jake left and didn't opt
to take Eckford with him, so Corus was stuck with his contract and had to find something for him to do. The results were a total failure.

Months before his contract was up, Dan Russell was told it wasn't being renewed, so he basically fucked the dog for 7 months and treated his listeners to nothing but reruns of reruns of his boring
interviews.

If you were privy to full BBM info the past few years, you'd find out that the highest rated daypart on CKNW was after 10PM when Coast To Coast is on the air. Hopefully that has turned around a bit
in recent times.

The other complaint I hear constantly from long time NW listeners who have turned away is the lack of open lines and calls from listeners. Isn't that what talk radio is supposed to be? This Buzz line
crap along with Facebook and Tweeted messages isn't what people want. They want to hear the callers and what they have to say, not some unknown voice reading tweets or selected comments from
a telephone answering machine.

With the resources they have along with their experience, these two seasoned broadcasters should be a lifeline for the folks at NW.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Any chance CKNW could hire a board op and/or a 10PM news reader that knows how to read a clock?

Two nights in a row the 10PM news has gone overtime and they totally miss the C2C intro music and stomp on Norrey's show opening.

Small market radio is still alive in the big city.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Tonight...she spoke of a 'constant-tutity' office ( constituancy office)!
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:58 pm

For those complaining about the quality and timing of evening newscasts remember, 2 years at BCIT does not teach that. Those students used to get properly trained in the interior or the Prairies and only then would get a chance in a major station in Vancouver or elsewhere. Corporate ownership changed all that when they decided to hire the fresh graduates because they could pay them less than those who had gained valuable lessons elsewhere.

Drex will add energy to the afternoon drive on 'NW and Lynda will hopefully be more at ease with someone across the desk to pick up the slack.

When all is said and done, the biggest improvement to the station could be brought about by returning to discussions of politics, top stories and current events with input from listeners. Take talk radio back to it's roots!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:Tonight...she spoke of a 'constant-tutity' office ( constituancy office)!

Is that similar to a constituency office?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Cynthia J » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Has anybody else tuned into this trainwreck?

I've been listening to talk radio for close to 30 years now. Over the past few years I find I listen to CKNW less and less and find myself listening to the CBC more and more. To my ears, it's intelligent talk
presented for the most part by professionals.

This latest pairing on CKNW is a new all time low. When Steele made the move from TV to radio last year, I had high hopes. Her content disappoints me, way too much fluff and like Bill Good, she sits on
the fence when it comes to any topic that is a challenge.

As for this Drex character, his evening show was a dog's breakfast with no real content or direction. This wannabe hipster has no problem spouting off about subjects that he has no real knowledge of. He
does his best to try and be edgy, but comes off looking like an arrogant buffoon. At times he reminds me of the token classroom bully.

The two of them trying to out talk the other (over top of each other) is painfully annoying and Drex's screaming at guests telling them they are liars and idiots is a definite tune out.

I've sampled and won't be back. Now it's back to On The Coast on CBC for me.
Cynthia J

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Hey Cynthia:

I love Drex, in particular, not because he is any good, but b/c his show symbolizes all that is different from CBC Radio.

I cant stand the CBC, with its elitist, phony, b.s. "equal everybody" crap and pseudo intellectualism.

For example, hiring only people with university degrees, they think, makes for more intelligent radio. !

Some of the dumbest, most unreliable people that I have met are university grads. I am a trainer of university students and the bullshit that I have to endure with some of them is daunting.

If your newsroom is more "gay," brown, or yellow and less white, or if the news director is a minority, that does not guarantee that your newscast will be sympathetic to the human condition or that the writing or reporting will even be any good.

Indeed, minorities can fall into the same trap of self-deception and elitism as their white friends.

That because they emulate white people, even worship them?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:51 pm

About this "Steele and Drex" show... What's with the loud popping sound that happens whenever they start or stop a sound clip?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 pm

The scissors they use to splice tape must have got magnetized somehow.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm

slowhand wrote:The scissors they use to splice tape must have got magnetized somehow.

Decades ago, that might have been a possibility... or a lack of care starting a cart while the mike is open.
But today, when everything is done with a computer, it shouldn't be happening... especially when it happens every single time they introduce a clip... an actuality... a sound byte... or whatever the kids are calling it these days...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia