Annoying commercials on radio

Radio News from British Columbia

Annoying commercials on radio

Postby kal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 am

I will start with the Rick Bowal and Associates commercials for real estate sales running on CKNW and TSN 1040.

The commercials sound genuine enough, provided you listen to just one of the two stations. "The only agent I would trust" is the refrain you'll hear from Jon McComb. Switch over to 1040 and you hear exactly the same words. Hmm, does Jon McComb really mean it, or is he reading from a script?

When you look further into this company you find a swath of references such as "as seen on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, ABC." This seems a bit puzzling. Why would a Vancouver real estate office appear on such TV services, unless it means through paid advertising?

There you go. Annoying commercial #1.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Annoying commercials on radio

Postby slowhand » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:04 pm

kal wrote:"The only agent I would trust"

My vote goes to Donald Trump's "The Best Man for the Job" line in his ads.

Yeah, it's silly since he is the only Male running for President, and it is also more than insulting to his Female opponent.

Can you imagine what B'anai Brith would be saying if Trump was running against a Jew and his slogan was "The Best Gentile for the Job"?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm

slowhand wrote:
kal wrote:"The only agent I would trust"

Can you imagine what B'anai Brith would be saying if Trump was running against a Jew and his slogan was "The Best Gentile for the Job"?

I'm pretty sure Trump wouldn't be saying anything along those lines.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:19 am

Almost any ad that is an endorsement is a tune out for me.

Car dealer ads are at the top of my list. Are you really going to buy a car from a dealer because some former Vancouver Canuck player is being paid to say it's his favorite dealership?

Former sports guy Neil McRae trying to be funny isn't going to get me into Morrey to buy a car. Do these guys have nothing more to sell other than Neil and Shorty?

And then of course the ultimate idiotic dueling spots from the former duo of Ian and Steve who now have their sons or daughters as sidekicks. Would you really buy a car from these hucksters?

I guess stations are so desperate for ad dollars these days, anything goes. It appears the tune out factor isn't even considered anymore as most stations know listeners are gone as soon as the first
commercial in a break starts.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Any fans of the "Big Lou" insurance ads on Sirius XM's CNN channel? They are as colorful as the owner sounds shady.

One of the variations is the ending for a life insurance ad... "Remember Big Lou is there for you because he's on meds too."

And then there's the law office ad running on Surrey's Pulse FM. Near the end of the ad are the memorable words that the lawyer there can handle anything, "from parking tickets to first degree murder."
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:27 am

Interesting that no one commented on the SiriusXM commercials carried on the CNN (and a few other) channels. So many of the commercials have this "cheap" and "shady" tone to them. I suppose that's part of the national (or in this case, international) reach of the commercials. There is no way to offer regional advertising through SiriusXM because of the underlying technology.

I still think the Simi Sara TimeShareExitTeam.com ads have a questionable tone to them. What makes this a "consumer protection company". It's nothing of the sort. It's a company that charges a fee, and presumably a hefty one at that, to get another company to terminate a contract.

While I'm at it, I noticed a Chris Gailus promo this morning on 'NW in which he proudly noted that CKNW News was now Global News and that the two entities would be working together to cover the lower mainland. Wonder what Warren Barker would have said in reaction?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am

The Spence Diamonds ads are an immediate tune out for me. When I hear the word "Spence", I just KNOW that annoying scream is coming. Supposed to be a scream of Joy, but it's nails on a chalkboard for me. :violent1:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby 78rpm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Buster's Towing on AM730 does it for me.
They never saved my day in rush hour traffic.
Buster's has towed me out of one of more of their "scam" parking lots than I care to remember.
There was always some huge cigar chomping jerk on the other side of the bullet proof glass to empty your wallet when I finally figured out which one of their
lots it was towed to.
Let's not forget about the horrific bill for towing and storage.
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm

The frenulectomy foreskin doctor on TSN1040 tells me they are really hard up for advertisers, I only wonder whether the guy is a friend of Pratt or Bro Jake.

The ad gets more hilarious as it goes along and then the good doctor puts the icing on the cake by bragging about having performed 35,000 or so circumcisions.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia