The Peak is now Vancouver's Modern Rock

Radio News from British Columbia

The Peak is now Vancouver's Modern Rock

Postby radiofan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:39 am

Jim Pattison's CKPK 102.7 "The Peak" in Vancouver has now totally made the shift from Triple A to Modern Rock.

Website
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: The Peak is now Vancouver's Modern Rock

Postby Doug » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:03 pm

It started as a Triple A format station, no? What was it when Kevin & Sonia were hosting?

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:13 pm

And more to the point, what the hell is Modern Rock (pretty sure it's not CHR/Top 40 cause that's the last thing Van needs) and how is it different from AAA?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:And more to the point, what the hell is Modern Rock (pretty sure it's not CHR/Top 40 cause that's the last thing Van needs) and how is it different from AAA?

Agree with you on both those points. You guys seem to have plent of AC, Hot AC/CHR (what's the difference, really between Hot AC/CHR anyway!? LOL) and Rock stations. I also never really understood what "AAA" was, either. ;)

I guess...maybe Vancouver could use a New Country format radio station (isn't JRfm more oriented to Old/Classic Country?) or an all business news/talk radio station but, other than that, you guys pretty much have it covered. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 pm

dmehus wrote:It started as a Triple A format station, no? What was it when Kevin & Sonia were hosting?

Cheers,
Doug

It did when it flipped to FM from AM in 2008. Its most recent format before that (as CKBD at 600 AM) was Adult Standards.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:02 pm

This is a bizarre decision to me. Knowing that Ross Winters is involved as a consultant at Pattison, it does strike me as a middle finger to Corus. Problem is, the Fox does it better and always has. Ross is your classic "spin 120 songs max" kind of corporate programmer. If it was me, they would have been better off getting inspiration from their sister station in Victoria and gone wider into rock. But nobody's brave or creative enough in this town to do that.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:48 pm

ThisIsNotCBC wrote:It did when it flipped to FM from AM in 2008. Its most recent format before that (as CKBD at 600 AM) was Adult Standards.

Thanks for that - and love your avatar, by the way! Is it just me or has CBC gotten more biased? Their whole coverage of the U.S. election tended to focus on the Democrats' assertion of "Russian hacking" and all the negative press about Donald Trump and merely a whisper about any Clinton controversies. Similarly, in the primary, they were practically "gaga" on Clinton versus Sanders. I'm not necessarily saying they are all politically biased for what they say but you can be biased for what you choose to cover, how you cover it and how much attention you devote to something (or don't cover at all). :(

It's for these reasons - a number of "missteps" - and also that they "copy protect" their programming whereas Global BC and CTV do not which prevent me from recording a small news clip to save for later - that I now advocate for CBC-TV to be sold off to private sector broadcasters (i.e., to build out CityTV) and/or shut down in geographies with too much saturation of local content. Oh and for not making available their content to Telus Optik TV OnDemand (and probably other BDUs' OnDemand services), forcing you to their website. CBC Radio does do a decent job still and should be retained, possibly simulcasting itself as a new CBC News Network, hosted by hard-working, decent relatively obscure but highly dedicated broadcasters not looking for Peter Mansbridge or Wendy Mesley style "pay packets" but keen to earn a decent living wage and have a secure defined benefit pension plan. CBCmusic should be shut down or sold to Stingray Digital. CBC Sports, likewise, should be shut down. CBCnews.ca should then go "ad free" as a complement to its ad-free CBC Radio and license its content for free to print journalism sources.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 pm

This will last 1.5 years. Lose a ton.

NO ONE CARES.

Modern rock is about as exciting as Gregor Robertson.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:21 pm

It may be a Market-specific thing, or even a PD-specific (Al Ford) thing, but Sonic-FM in Edmonton has been a consistent ratings winner here in Edmonton with Modern Rock for more than a dozen years, starting from nothing, as a new station/frequency.

Not to be confused with Sonic-FM in Vancouver, which stole the name but not the format from Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 am

X Calgary does consistently well too....same with LiVE Ottawa.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia