Rebranding of CKNW news

Radio News from British Columbia

Rebranding of CKNW news

Postby kal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 am

Is this new? It's fairly subtle but the lead-ins the last few days have referred to "Global News".

I first noticed it this weekend but it may simply have skipped my attention earlier.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Rebranding of CKNW news

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:43 am

What do you mean Kal? How are they fitting Global News in?
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 am

Well, 'NW and Global are both owned by the same Toronto/Calgary-based over-sized corporation and share staff in their Burnaby and Vancouver stations (and probably elsewhere across the country as well). So, is this all about economy-of- scale? Who knows where it will end?
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm

It's quite subtle, as I indicated. For instance this morning Gord MacDonald simply introduced the 8 am news slot as "Global news at 8". It wasn't something like "'NW news at 8 am brought to you by Global BC", it was simply branding the segment as Global news (I'm putting in the capital letter as I don't think it is to be interpreted as global news).

We read earlier that Jill Krop was now the de facto News Director, for both radio and TV, didn't we?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Like the demise of Woodwards, there's not much left of what NW was built on to get rid of.

Sports is all but gone from the station that once had The Canucks, The BC Lions, The best sportscasters and the best sports department in the city, not to mention sports talk shows.

Once the go to station for traffic with The Eye In The Sky and traffic reporters with a personality in drive times, traffic now comes from AM 730 and is often recorded and out of date.

Weather is now a one line pre-recorded drop in from Global TV, anyone remember the days of Phil Reimer and others with full weather reports on all newscasts?

And now Global News. Whatever happened to the most respected newsroom west of Toronto?

And then of course, there were the personalities all day and night.

I hope the shareholders are happy.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Sad but true. Part of the ignominious demise of the once-proud station.

I've set a shortcut on my vehicle's dashboard to News1130 but not to 'NW. However, for the most part it is now satellite radio for me in the car. I will drop down from News1130 to 'NW, particularly for solid news readers such as Terry Schintz and Gord MacDonald.

And at night I'm back to KGO frequently. They've got some good programming once again.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:01 pm

kal wrote:Is this new? It's fairly subtle but the lead-ins the last few days have referred to "Global News".

I first noticed it this weekend but it may simply have skipped my attention earlier.

Final proof that the "Top Dog" is no more...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:46 pm

The same has happened at NewsTalk 770 in Calgary. It's no longer news from the NewsTalk 770 24 Hour News Centre but rather from Global News.

Interesting choice for the news sounder. It's quite subtle and one would think it would have been closer to what Global News' on TV uses. The new introduction to the news is far more subtle than the old CKNW news tones of the mid-'70s and into the early '90s.

Certainly doesn't have the same dramatic effect as the Johnny Mann Drake format news sounder or the likes of the CBS and Mutual News sounders.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Sevareid » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:49 pm

I've been listening to the new Global News on CKNW and now I'm really confused. I was expecting an in-depth look at news around the globe, but they were 90% local stories. And when they say 'Global News to 8am', it's only 8am in the Pacific Time Zone. What about the other 23 times zones around the globe? Inquiring minds want to know: 'What's so global about Global News?'
Sevareid

Postby radioman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Maybe the folks in the 'NW news department are now all just psychics getting their stories from staring into a crystal (global) ball.
radioman
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia