Jeff Palmer fights back

Radio News from British Columbia

Jeff Palmer fights back

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:45 pm

A year ago, as I was ending my extended hospital stay, my friend and former News1130 co-worker Jeff Palmer was just beginning his.
Good story here from Martin MacMahon.
http://www.news1130.com/2016/09/16/loca ... g-doctors/

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS 1130) – Exactly one year ago, West Vancouver Police Constable Jeff Palmer was feeling great. He was taking part in the annual Cops for Cancer charity ride when in an instant his life changed.

Palmer was biking the route in Burnaby when he suffered a heart attack. And then another. And then another, followed by a fourth one in the emergency room after paramedics, who were riding with him and were able to get him to Royal Columbian Hospital.

He had two stents put in, followed by three more just a few days later.

Palmer, a former NEWS 1130 staff member, admits he was very fortunate and that has left him feeling very grateful. “Definitely to value every day. If you know somebody and you care about them, why not tell them that you care about them today? Don’t wait until tomorrow.”

He adds since then he doesn’t take any day for granted. “That really puts it into sharp focus that this day just marks that you have this opportunity and you have that opportunity because a lot of amazing people had amazing skills.

His return to the hospital today comes as it tries to raise $3.3 million to upgrade its cardiac lab that played a part in saving his life. The hospital says one in three British Columbians relies on its services for emergency care during a heart attack or cardiac arrest. And it performs 950 open-heart surgeries and 2,300 angioplasties annually — the highest rate in all of BC.

If you’d like to donate click here or call 604.520.4438.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia