Changes @ Kelowna's Q103.1

Radio News from British Columbia

Changes @ Kelowna's Q103.1

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Kelowna's Q103.1 starts 2017 with a new line up to go with the Hottest Hits!

In the morning, after a number 1 morning show run in Victoria, it will be Robin Farrell and joining her from My96 in Medicine Hat, Darren Worts.

Susan Knight will handle middays as she also moves this spring into the Program Director role.

From Calgary, Danny Kid brings his energy to Afternoon Drive and "Your Girl" Brooklyn rounds out the day moving into evenings and weekends after doing a great job filling in on afternoon drive for the past 6 weeks.

Current morning co-host John Stone segues to the Pattison Kelowna production departmant.

Q103.1 Website: http://www.q1031.ca/

Thanks to Q103.1's Susan Knight for sharing this!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Changes @ Kelowna's Q103.1

Postby groundskeeper willy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:35 am

Ratings-wise, Q103.1 has been firmly stuck in the basement for years, so tweaking things couldn't hurt at this point. There's not anything inherently "wrong" with the station, it's just that in their current incarnation, the competition does it better, both in programming and personalities.

Here's hoping the injection of new blood will help. Robin was great in Victoria and maybe she'll be able to create something exciting with Darren across the console.

I don't want to say John & Susan were a bad morning show, it's just that, IMO, they didn't mesh the way a good team needs to, day in and day out. You can have two extremely strong personalities in a team, but they need to play specific roles, ideally in ways that compliment and build on the other's strengths. Whenever John or Susan were doing the show solo, I thought they came across well and were very likeable, but as a package, it was almost like they were battling to prove whose name deserved to come first on the morning show marquee.

Guess the upside for both John & Susan is that they remain within the building and get to continue on with gainful employment, something that's not always the case when a morning show gets dumped.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Re: Changes @ Kelowna's Q103.1

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 pm

I like Kelowna's Juice FM, owned by Vista Radio, but I find "Jo2" a bit too nauseating to listen to, especially for a midday at-work radio timeslot. I'd rather seem him moved to "after dark", i.e. 7 pm-11 pm, or to weekends, maybe. ;)

It's too bad because, musically, Juice FM has an electic mix of nice modern pop, classic rock and others.

As for Q103, I wish they'd play more Shawn Mendes, Scott Helman and Justin Bieber (he's actually pretty good now!) and less "The Weekn'd" and Adele. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia