Dave Sheldon Replaces Kash Heed at Surrey's Pulse FM

Radio News from British Columbia

Dave Sheldon Replaces Kash Heed at Surrey's Pulse FM

Postby jon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 am

REVOLVING DOOR:

Kash Heed’s year-long run as a host on 107.7 Pulse FM (CISF-FM) in Surrey, BC ended last week. The former BC Solicitor General opted not to renew his contract with the independent station. New host Dave Sheldon takes over the 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. slot. Heed spent 31 years in policing, before he was recruited by former Premier Gordon Campbell as a star candidate in the 2009 election. He resigned after revelations his campaign manager overspent the $70,000 campaign financing limit by $4,000.

(Broadcast Dialogue, Feb 23)
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Dave Sheldon Replaces Kash Heed at Surrey's Pulse FM

Postby Talker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I wonder if this means the time slot will be given over to solid sports coverage with emphasis on golf?
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 pm

No TEB,
Just golf.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:12 am

God bless Sheldo he seems like a decent guy and a hustler but I am stunned he has a place in the airwaves with so many people let go recently.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am

Tighthead wrote:God bless Sheldo he seems like a decent guy and a hustler but I am stunned he has a place in the airwaves with so many people let go recently.

Probably means more that the available talent aren't looking to get back into the industry (Russell, Quinton).

Both are east of the Fraser guys too.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby RadioGuy89b » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

maybe its $ and cents....price point some people will work for, versus what Others will work for. What is Quinton doing now? Anyone know. I've met Dave, and wish him the best.

I'm just curious what's going on at Pulse FM. Kath Thompson was PD as of a year ago. Is she still there? Terry and Jack gone from morning a while ago, I thought they were assets, but I wonder if it was $ situation. Also, where is Leah Holiove now. I don't listen to the station - I used to be south of the Fraser more often - where their signal is targetted so I would listen.
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:35 pm

RadioGuy89b wrote:maybe its $ and cents....price point some people will work for, versus what Others will work for. What is Quinton doing now? Anyone know. I've met Dave, and wish him the best.

I'm just curious what's going on at Pulse FM. Kath Thompson was PD as of a year ago. Is she still there? Terry and Jack gone from morning a while ago, I thought they were assets, but I wonder if it was $ situation. Also, where is Leah Holiove now. I don't listen to the station - I used to be south of the Fraser more often - where their signal is targetted so I would listen.

From the Pulse website, it appears Marbelmouth Sheldon is actually replacing Leah in mornings and Leah is moving to Middays. I guess being done by 10 gets Sheldon better tee times at the golf courses he
mentions each morning. From NW to obscurity to CKPM to Pulse. This career is going nowhere fast.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:44 pm

sparky wrote: From NW toobscurity to CKPM to Pulse.

These two things could be described as being one in the same.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 am

I really hope all these folks are not heavily mortgaged. The stuff you hear coming out of that building is awful. Terrible equipment, no leadership, daily strategy changes, payment issues...

Do they even have a proper Program Director? Why not start with a PD who understands music, can pull a shift and build slowly. Independents never learn.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby MonteVideo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:54 pm

1. Re: Pulse Money issues - do you know that for a fact? Not saying it's not likely, but what if a sales pro on this board went in and offered to build a sales strategy and be rewarded with a super high commission on a contract?

2. There are pro's there who have offered to help with programming. Thompson was gone shortly after she was hired.

3. Everyone talks about the good old days of owner/operator radio, but the minute the current crop get into trouble, people are ready to sh#t all over them. Even the richest of the indie's, like Roundhouse, don't have unlimited financial runway. What is the answer? Advertorials and ethnic programming?

i don't have the solution except to maybe posit that the era of owner operated radio is over and only the Big Bad Four can afford to run broadcast outlets.
shoop shoop diddy wah
MonteVideo

Return to British Columbia