No More Shortwave Stations In B.C.

Radio News from British Columbia

No More Shortwave Stations In B.C.

Postby jon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 pm

A well known Victoria DX'er is reporting that the CBC has confirmed that CBU's shortwave repeater, CKZU, will not be returning to the airwaves ever again, following a transmitter failure.

What is unclear at this point is whether the CRTC has reviewed the matter, as they have the final say. When the CBC planned to pull the plug on CBU-AM and add a few FM transmitters, the CRTC denied the application, citing the number of people who currently received CBU but would not get a listenable signal from any of the proposed and existing FM transmitters carrying Radio One.

On the other hand, I have difficulty believing that CKZU has many regular listeners these days. Many, that is, that cannot get Radio One from another source.

From what I can tell, there are currently only three radio stations in Canada with shortwave transmitters: CFCN Calgary, CFRB Toronto and CBN St. John's, Newfoundland. From what I have read, Radio Canada International no longer has any transmitters located in Canada.

Beginning at the end of World War II, and into the late 1950s, most Canadian stations got rid of their shortwave repeater transmitters. I was surprised to learn, a few years ago, that CJCA actually ran on two different shortwave frequencies at one point, switching from one to the other to ensure Skywave ("Skip") coverage to the North at almost all hours of the day. One frequency skipped during Daylight and the other during Darkness.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: No More Shortwave Stations In B.C.

Postby Rocky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 pm

CFVP Calgary
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 pm

CFVP Calgary broadcasts with 100 watts on 6030 mHz in the 49 meters shortwave band & relays 1060 CKMX "Funny 1060" all-comedy format. It gets out quite well & can be heard widely throughout North America & other parts of the world. Regarding CKZU, the CBC claims the transmitter needs serious repairs & that parts are no longer available. They don't feel the investment in a new transmitter is worth the small amount of listeners. They may underestimate the number of people here in BC who cannot get a decent Radio One signal. I don't think CKZU had a large number of users but likely a larger number than imagine. As a DXer it's too bad but certainly justified & the CRTC will just rubber-stamp a deletion based on cost
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 pm

I found what I think is the key part of the CRTC decision to shut down the AM transmitter of CBU and switch entirely to FM:
the Commission considers that, given the mountainous terrain along Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, using FM signals to serve those areas would not represent optimal use of the proposed frequencies. The Commission is concerned that, even with the proposed transmitter on Gabriola Island, converting CBU to the FM band would reduce the station's overall reach in the outlying areas of Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast leaving some listeners without CBC service.
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-117 (May 30, 2008)

Whether the CRTC disallows the CBC's deletion of their shortwave repeater for CBU will depend on someone, maybe even the CRTC themselves, getting a large enough count of the number of people in Canada who:
  1. Do not have access to a clean Radio One Signal on AM or FM, and
  2. Relied on the shortwave repeater of CBU for Radio One listening
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia