Surely Rogers is Rethinking Lower Mainland Radio Strategy

Radio News from British Columbia

Surely Rogers is Rethinking Lower Mainland Radio Strategy

Postby jon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm

What about Rogers' long term strategy for both the Canucks radio coverage and News1130?

Here is one strategy that I could see the CRTC buying into: turn News 1130 into a truly regional operation. Based on the CRTC's recent statement that an AM may simulcast an FM station, in a decision in Brandon, Manitoba.

Make 104.9 Vancouver the master transmitter for News 1130 with the FM transmitters in Chilliwack and Abbotsford, and CKWX-1130 in Vancouver as partial repeaters. Only 1130 would carry all the Canucks material, splitting from its simulcast with 104.9 to do so.

Some breaks could be programmed separately for the Vancouver, Chilliwack and Abbotsford transmitters, to increase revenue through local spots, and to provide more local service through community calendar and other types of PSAs. 1130 could even be separately programmed from 104.9 in some of its otherwise simulcast commercial breaks, to run Canucks-specific mini-features.

Gotta believe that there would be more money made doing this than continuing with the current situation.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Surely Rogers is Rethinking Lower Mainland Radio Strateg

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:15 pm

I'd like to see Rogers turn News 1130 into a live video simulcast, with an app available on Apple TV whereby its livestream (similar to what CBC does with Early Edition on its CBC-TV on weekday mornings) as a competitive, low cost live B.C. news alternative to Corus' BC1, which still isn't available on Telus Optik TV, or CBC's biased "Trump bashing". ;)

Bill Good seemed to do a decent job moderating the recent BC leaders' debate. :)

Think they'd do that?

I know I'd watch News 1130 as a nightly news broadcast to either Lisa LaFlamme or Peter Mansbridge. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia