CISL sold to Rogers.

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: CISL sold to Rogers.

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

I think it's that the "ratings" only show us major networks. Centre-Ice or MLB extra-innings aren't factored in, and they're only growing. Why watch "whatever's on" when you get watch your favourite team's every game.

It's a PVR & Download-proof programming stream that advertisers love. Last year, WFAN was the country's #5 billing station, despite being #11 (12+) in NYC.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Rogers is going to a lot of trouble to get into the sports radio game so it must be worth it. They are bumblers when it comes actually executing so I wouldn't be losing too much sleep if I was 1040. Moving the Canucks broadcasts to what will surely be an inferior station is just another reason I have no faith in team ownership.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Bell could easily dump sports on 1410 and pick up the programming that gets displaced on CISL at the end of August.

Mix oldies with some infomercials. If would do better than what 1410 is bringing in now.

And there's no worry about the TX site rotting away or towers falling down into a landfill. The 1040/1410 site is only about 7 years old, so it's got a lot of life left in it.

Maybe Bell could get the CFUN call letters back on 1410 (for a third time). It doesn't appear Rogers is using the call letters for anything much these days.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Yeah, if they keep the lights on, the CISL format is really the only option. And I didn't know about the state of the shared towers (thanks) so that helps. As a 55+ format new station launch, it would be a hell of a challenge, but not a big investment....so why not.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah, if they keep the lights on, the CISL format is really the only option. And I didn't know about the state of the shared towers (thanks) so that helps. As a 55+ format new station launch, it would be a hell of a challenge, but not a big investment....so why not.

With the latest CRTC decisions on Ethnic Station licensing, I have to wonder if Radio India's programming on 1600 could not be moved to 1410, generating more revenue for Bell than trying to clone CISL.

Such a change would not require CRTC approval, would it?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Jim Walters wrote:
Maybe Bell could get the CFUN call letters back on 1410 (for a third time). It doesn't appear Rogers is using the call letters for anything much these days.

Rogers currently has both the CFUN and CKLG calls planted at Mountain FM repeaters on the Sunshine Coast. CFUN 104.7 in Sechelt and CKLG 104.7 in Pender Harbour.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

How about Funny 1410? Just re-use the imaging and materials that Bell's former Ontario property had before they mothballed the transmitter.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

jon wrote:
Aaron wrote:Yeah, if they keep the lights on, the CISL format is really the only option. And I didn't know about the state of the shared towers (thanks) so that helps. As a 55+ format new station launch, it would be a hell of a challenge, but not a big investment....so why not.

With the latest CRTC decisions on Ethnic Station licensing, I have to wonder if Radio India's programming on 1600 could not be moved to 1410, generating more revenue for Bell than trying to clone CISL.

Such a change would not require CRTC approval, would it?

That's a good question, I don't know. AM has more flexibility to move around with talk/music/specialty formats than FM, but I have no idea where 3rd language fits into that. I suspect they'd have to get approval.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:05 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:How about Funny 1410? Just re-use the imaging and materials that Bell's former Ontario property had before they mothballed the transmitter.

An option too. Not a ratings winner, but would have a similar demo and sell well in a combo with 1040. Funny was an Astral initiative, and I haven't seen that Bell has any interest in continuing it
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Jon wrote: Such a change would not require CRTC approval, would it?

I would say based on the contents of this archived decision regarding 1430 in Toronto approval would be required for an existing English language station to flip to an Ethnic format.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1996/DB96-659.htm
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm

I've always listened to 1410 as much as 1040. It has some good pbp features.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 am

Fun prediction, once the layoffs hit 1040 because the Lions alone won't sustain the station, the syndicated programming on 1410 will be moved over to 1040.

Morning show until 9.

Jim Rome.

Sekeres* lunch time.

Drive time/Dinner hour show with Moj*

Syndicated programming through the late evening into the early morning (Mariners, National TSN radio, Fox Sports**, ESPN)***.

*If the host doesn't jump ship to 650
**if Rogers doesn't exercise their right to pick up Fox Sports Radio programming
***Until they lure Dan Russell out of retirement
Last edited by WheresFredTaylor on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 am

Fun prediction 2:

Sportsnet 650 line up to start

Morning show with Scott Rintoul.

Additional Canucks programming 9 - 12.

Tim and Sid 12 - 2 (I actually don't know what time this show airs)

Canucks drive time 2 - 6*.

Tape delayed Bob McCown 6 - 9**

Canucks night time 9 - 12***.

Fox Sports Radio until 6.

*Preempted in the off season for Jays baseball.

**Will follow Jays baseball

***Won't run during playoff hockey or baseball season.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

Sportsnet 960 the Fan, in Calgary, runs CBS Sports Radio syndicated programming along with some programming from Sportsnet 590 Toronto. It dropped FOX Sports Radio when Jim Rome went to CBS.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:54 am

As for the new Sportsnet 650, I'd love to see a mature Morning Show hosted by a couple of seasoned broadcasters like Jody Vance and maybe Lee Powell. Both know not only sports but they also know radio and how to entertain and communicate with an audience. Add in news updates, traffic and weather from News 1130 and you've got a show that's worth tuning in to. This would be a nice change from what 1040 offers up in the morning.

Is he past his best before date or would there be any value in brining Dan Russell's Sports Talk back to the Vancouver airwaves in the evening?

Just thinking out loud.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia