Kudos to CBC Radio One in the Interior

Radio News from British Columbia

Kudos to CBC Radio One in the Interior

Postby sparky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Thank you to the crew at CBC Radio One in Kelowna and Kamloops for your coverage of the BC Interior wild fire situation tonight.

Nice to see them have the flexability to pre-empt shows like As It Happens and others to make way for local emergency programming.

Reports from several staffers in and around evacuated areas, up tp date road closure information and callers from listeners who were affected.

This is the kind of stuff that makes live and local radio shine.

Out of interest, I tuned into one time Interior News and Information powerhouse NL-610. All I got was a jukebox playing oldies, totally oblivious as to what was going on in their back yard.

Pitiful. And Newcap hasn't taken it over yet.

Stuff like this is why the CBC has the numbers it has in many cities these days.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4196041
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Kudos to CBC Radio One in the Interior

Postby slowhand » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 am

The latest ratings indicate that CBC Radio One lives up to its name, rating "Number One By a Mile" in both Kamloops and Kelowna, with a just over 19 Share in both markets.

CHNL has a 13.2 which only qualifies it for fourth place in Kamloops, overall.

Assuming that CKFR is the "information station" of Kelowna, they did much worse. A 6.7 gives them seventh place.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Today at noon CBC Radio 1 broke from the national feed to provide live up-to-minute info, interviews & call-ins from the heart of the Interior wildfire regions. The broadcast was anchored by the Kelowna on-air team. Well done! Although a regular listener/viewer to CBC News & the daily BC talk-show "BC Almanac", I've been quite critical of them as of late due to their priority coverage of Trump/US politricks (yes I know this is another thread!)& occasional 'senior-bashing' program guests. However, CBC has shown us they`re up to the job unlike the commercial broadcasters running VT hard-drives of over-played drivel, canned talk & infomercials. Considering many within these fire zones have no hydro or Internet access, having access to Radio One via it`s many repeaters should prove to the CBC brass, CRTC & federal government that maintaining on-air radio broadcasting should remain within it`s mandate. :canflag1:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby abradioguy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Out of interest, I tuned into one time Interior News and Information powerhouse NL-610. All I got was a jukebox playing oldies, totally oblivious as to what was going on in their back yard.

Pitiful. And Newcap hasn't taken it over yet.

Actually, Newcap has already taken over. CRTC approval was very fast and Newcap officially took over before the last week of June.
abradioguy

Postby sparky » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:55 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Today at noon CBC Radio 1 broke from the national feed to provide live up-to-minute info, interviews & call-ins from the heart of the Interior wildfire regions. The broadcast was anchored by the Kelowna on-air team. Well done! . :canflag1:

The local coverage went on until 2:30 this afternoon from CBC Kelowna and they then supplied the rest of BC with updates on the half hour throughout the afternoon.

In addition to the wildfire situation, they also covered the major fire in Kelowna at a new condo development.

I first heard about the Kelowna fire on Power 104. Nice to see a music station break the format and keep us informed from their bird's eye view of the blaze.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia