Kerry Marshall out at Roundhouse

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Kerry Marshall out at Roundhouse

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 am

Donovan said:
Call me crazy, but if 98.3 flipped to a format a la CISL, complete with paid programming on weekends, it might actually work. Live AM and PM drive shows, the rest of the day filled with music, very little overhead.

Great idea in principle Donovan, however most of the targeted audience resides in the suburbs where Roundhouse Radio's signal is obliterated by Chilliwack's Star FM. Moving down a notch to 98.1 and raising the power could overcome that issue. KING-FM in Seattle currently occupies 98.1, but It doesn't seem to matter anymore through both the CRTC and FCC eyes if Lower Mainland stations also operate on existing Seattle area FM frequencies.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 am

Dan Sys wrote:How About That said:
Dan you might know if there was a clause in the CRTC approval if they had to keep the same ownership/format for X number of years?

There was nothing along those lines in the original approval documents specifically directed at Roundhouse, however the overall CRTC policy regarding new licenses states:

3. The Commission reiterates its position that the sale of a newly authorized broadcasting undertaking brings into question the basis for the Commission's original decision when the licence has been issued following a competitive process. Consequently, during the first two years following the launch of a service, any transaction involving the licence will be normally denied, except where the applicant can demonstrate the necessity of the transaction as a result of a force majeure event. The Commission is of the view that this approach will ensure that the community benefits from the service as approved for a period of at least two years.

Thanks Dan!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

Any change now will require money. There isn't any. There are no buyers lining up. I feel for Don & Co. This won't end well for anyone.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:39 am

They really are hamstrung by power & signal pattern, factors which may make it very difficult, if not impossible, to find a prospective buyer, especially one wishing to have a viable commercial station in Vancouver. Not sure who would step up and buy the thing, maybe somebody with deep pockets who wants to have a hobby for their children and isn't concerned about generating enough revenue to pay bills. If the signal covered the entire lower mainland, sure, there might be a few companies wanting to make the leap into owning a station (much like the Leclerc family in Quebec City, expanding their cookie-making empire to include two radio stations). But as it stands now, uhh, I don't think there'd be much interest.

At some point in the not-so-distant-future the money will run out, the financial backers will either demand a sale in order to recoup some of their cash, or they'll just walk away and take the loss, shuttering the operation completely. I suspect it'll be the latter.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm

All props to the people that work at Roundhouse, but I cannot see how it can continue, with a teeny audience and dearth of commercials.

That said - I wish everyone all the best, and hope it works out.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia