Nice to hear KOMO loud and clear in downtown Vancouver

Radio News from British Columbia

Nice to hear KOMO loud and clear in downtown Vancouver

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 am

Cknw is currently off the air (3 a.m)...
best I've heard them sound in a long time.
Let's see if Drex can top this!I
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Nice to hear KOMO loud and clear in downtown Vancouver

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 am

I got nothing loud and clear driving back home to Sidney via Victoria...just some faint Steppenwolf (Born To Be Wild) a few minutes before 3am.

A brief NW shutdown for maintenance? Or did the lone graveyard-shift technician elope with the sole news reader?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 am

I was listening to Ozzie & Harriet when NW suddenly left the air at 10:27PM. I hung in there for a few minutes expecting one of the back up systems would kick in at any minute.

It didn't.

If it was a power failure in Cloverdale, why didn't the emergency generator kick in within a few seconds? If it was a TX problem, why didn't the backup TX kick in? If it was an STL problem, where were the backup phone lines? And finally, if all else failed, why didn't they fire up the low power TX down at the TD tower? (It's probably still tuned to 730 from when it was last used during AM 730's crisis back in the summer of 2016).

This wasn't a shutdown for regular maintenance, it was the product of lack of regular maintenance.

I'm sure the folks at Corus HQ will be demanding answers as to why one of their flagship stations in a major market was off the air for five plus hours.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 am

Jim Walters wrote:I'm sure the folks at Corus HQ will be demanding answers as to why one of their flagship stations in a major market was off the air for five plus hours.

Maybe or it could be the same managers who were happy to collect on insurance for loss of advertising revenue during the flood at CHQR in Calgary.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia