CBC removes CHMZ antenna from tower in Tofino.

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: CBC removes CHMZ antenna from tower in Tofino.

Postby splunge » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Dave L wrote:
splunge wrote:
Dave L wrote:For the time being, what does the CRTC do? Nothing. They are merely biding their time until the next renewal hearing in 2109. Meanwhile, no one is being served, again.

That's may be true, but if one was to file a formal complaint, the commission forwards it to the licensee for a response. The licensee can say whatever they please and that's expected to stand as a fact issue.

In that case, what did the commission do, other than forward the complaint?

The people who made the complaints have to tell the Commission that the station's response was not adequate, and request the CRTC review the situation. Granted, neither the broadcaster or the CRTC advertise that fact, but it's how you go about it.
splunge

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

very true splunge! Scroll back in this thread & note I stated that the time to have dumped on this horror show would have been via intervention at the time of license renewals. BUT...the community would have actually had to have been made aware that such renewals were taking place & comments/interventions needed to be filed with the CRTC in a timely manner. I'm sure that never happened! As soon as I was aware of the CHMZ/CIMM license renewals, I looked a few times for any interventions filed & there was nothing. There may have been something posted there just before the renewal dates, but I didn't get a chance to check. If there had been a stack of negative interventions - as was the case with local nightmare CFSI, the commish would have MAYBE started asking some hard questions. I also agree that had the CRTC regular staff been informed in writing that the response to complaints from the licensee was inadequate, the commish may have waited for a response from McBride before granting the renewals. The onus is on McBride to satisfy the CRTC that he DESERVES the PRIVELEGE & RESPONSIBILITIES of a broadcasting license using public airwaves. I was absolutely astounded that CHMZ & CIMM got renewed along with the 'phantom' radio station in the Pemberton Valley. However, we ARE dealing with the bureaucrats at the CRTC...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

splunge wrote:The people who made the complaints have to tell the Commission that the station's response was not adequate, and request the CRTC review the situation. Granted, neither the broadcaster or the CRTC advertise that fact, but it's how you go about it.

Agreed, but what happens the second, third or fourth time? The complaint gets forwarded back to the licensee, who either sticks to their guns or makes new claims.

That's more like getting kicked pillar to post rather than dealing with underlying issues. Even though the commission issued the license, that's tantamount to hey.. don't look at us just because we've been sold a bill of goods too. Where's the teeth in that? Why is up to us as a community to fix problems at a high level at our own cost, instead of the regulator that oversees the system?

It seems to me, the commission clearly doesn't care whether a licensee is compliant or not unless people complain until they are blue in the face. They tend to renew rather than stand for appeal. Even in the face of compounded non-compliance issues.

It's been almost two decades of ill or non-compliant performance by two horrible operators and still we're faced with yet another year and a half of nothing because the commission chooses to do nothing. Instead, upholding the license of an operator that doesn't even have a serviceable transmitter. All they've done is trade a short leash for a shorter leash, but still giving themselves enough scope to prevent getting themselves bitten.

It would be laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia