Wash Your Mouth Out With Soap Philip

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 am

While listening to NW between 6 and 7 yesterday morning, I was more than a bit surprised when Philip Till referred to the QUOTE OF THE DAY contest as THE GOD DAMNED QUOTE OF THE DAY contest. This happened while he was doing his daily "bit" with Charles Adler at 6:20.

For 30 plus years FROSTY sat in the morning chair and didn't have to resort to swearing for shock value or to get people's attention. Following a commercial break Philip came on air and apologized to any listeners he may have offended with his outburst and then mumbled something about they can say it on TV, why can't we say it on radio.

This morning while speaking with his old pal GRAVY at 7:50AM, the first words out of Till's mouth were "What the hell's going on in Israel?".

It's quite obvious that PT never bothered to listen to morning radio to see how it was done before he was thrown into the big chair. Pity.

Awhile ago someone brought up the fact that Till was slagging his fellow employees on the air. I never did hear the incident that was mentioned, but I have on several occasions heard him slag listeners who have e-mailed him to complain about his show. One day him and Reimer were making fun of a listener who wrote in and had initials after their name [Phd], other times they have made fun of peoples names. When they do this it's not just a mention, it becomes the theme of the day. I hope some of these people one day get BBM ballots and mark them accordingly.

The numbers that Frosty built for that time period won't last forever.

Enjoy them while they're there. Don't get too comfortable and cocky.

There's only one way to go from the top of the heap!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:12 pm

Well it's an old adage but a true one, "desperate times call for desperate measures."

When you can't think fast enough on your feet or you're not in possession of a quick wit, swearing for its sheer shock value is always a handy crutch to fall back on.

And when your daily talking points garner no response, when a hack weatherman is all you have to bounce your vacuous opinions off of, and when a large portion of the audience that previously occupied that daypart has vanished; then this is the end result.

Essentially, Till and his crew of syncophants have nothing to say, and they say it in the most offensive way possible.

The next book should be interesting.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:25 pm

Pluto wrote: The next book should be interesting.

Pluto, everyone was saying that about the last book, and it showed NW's cume sitting pretty as ever, as if Frosty's departure meant little.

I don't know what the demographics were for A.M. drive, though.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:57 am

cart_machine wrote:
Pluto wrote: The next book should be interesting.

Pluto, everyone was saying that about the last book, and it showed NW's cume sitting pretty as ever, as if Frosty's departure meant little.

I don't know what the demographics were for A.M. drive, though.

cArtie.

Yes, that's true, but there have been a lot more changes at NW since then, and none of them for the better.

They've lost the broadcast rights for hockey & football, they've expanded their canned programming and gutted the news department.

Not only that, but the hour between noon & 1pm no longer has a permanent anchor. The attitude now seems to be that whoever is doing news that day gets to be the host.

It's unfocussed, sloppy programming, and it shows.

But getting back to The Morning News with Philip Till for a moment; I don't care about his ( let's use a word he likes ) goddamn fourteen year career with NBC ...

that was then, this is now.

The question is: what has he done lately?

The answer is: nothing.

It's a rare talent who can combine hard news with entertainment.

Philip is not one of them.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Pluto wrote:Yes, that's true, but there have been a lot more changes at NW since then, and none of them for the better.

But having Connie Thiessen reading morning news is comparatively small potatoes. The huge change is the departure of Frosty and the approach to the programme. I can't see a large chunk of an audience who have stuck through THAT deciding to leave over the little stuff.

I mused about demos because if there's a huge 60+ contingent, it's likely just a bunch of people who have never, and will never, change their dial position after all these years.

Pluto wrote: It's a rare talent who can combine hard news with entertainment.

And this is a talent never developed in broadcasters in this country because it was never desired. News is news and entertainment is entertainment and never the twain etc.

News is just the facts (with perhaps a kicker as an exception) to be seriously delivered by a sober-minded individual. No entertainment allowed .. news is facts, people want facts and that's what they'll get.

Canadian radio has never really had the kinds of morning information-based shows you'll hear south of the line - even on KOMO - with humour and interaction with others, much like local TV newscasts. If the kind of talent needed for that kind of programming hasn't been developed, it'll be damned hard to find.

Of course, the personality was sucked out of music programming with endless and repetitive liners and positioning statements, and computerized music rotations, so what else is new?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:34 pm

cArtie;

You make some valid points.

That music/entertainment mix you speak of is primarily an American radio invention that has never really been tried in Canada, at least not with any success.

CKNW simply does not have the tools in place to make it work. When Frosty left, instead of searching for a suitable replacement, management took the easy way out like it always does.

They had years to find and groom the next heir-to-the-throne, but they never bothered.

When Frosty finally departed, they simply moved Till from his afternoon shift directly into mornings, and I guess, said to him, "try to be witty."

This, I believe, was the extent of the planning that went into "The Morning News with Philip Till."

In addition to being poorly produced and dull, it is disjointed and unfocused.

But as long as the ratings hold up, there is no incentive to fix it.

I don't care if this show continues to do well in the book; it doesn't mean that it's any good. All it means is that there are a lot of listeners out there who like to listen to talk in the mornings and will put up with just about anything no matter how banal or insipid it may be.

With the exception of the CBC (which has its own problems), CKNW pretty much has that market to themselves.

As far as Vancouver radio goes, this is about as bad as it gets, and the irony that it rates as highly as it does is not lost on me.

But between the toothless CRTC and the rampant consolidation, what incentive is there to do good radio these days?

All that's left of that little theory is the handful of dedicated professionals who have somehow managed to hang on to their jobs and take pride in a job well done.

Naturally this does not include anyone in management or lazy, so-called on-air "talent" riding that endless gravy train that's starting to look like it will never pull into the station.

So tell us again Philip, what did you have for your goddamn dinner last night?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:02 pm

The biggest thing NW has going for it is lack of competition. It seems when Corus has competition they come out losers ie. NW2 vs WX and MOJO vs TEAM. I do think that their overall audience will decline significantly this Fall and I don't expect them to be #1 but 3rd or 4th with lousy demos. None of the changes at NW have been for the better and at some point the audience will catch on.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby raverocks » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Until Death Us Do Part is the usual for CKNW listeners. Even boring programming doesn't seem to unstick the majority of the NW crowd. Go figure. Perhaps it's laziness. Perhaps it's an anal retentive upbringing. Perhaps it's a fact (to these listeners) that the rest of dial is offering worse programming than NW.

Swear away PT. It won't change anything. You are still tres dull and boring.
Find me on Twitter @RaveRocks101 and on You-Tube
raverocks
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:50 pm

I believe Jon Mc is the only person with credentials left at NW as an old timer.

Despite his youthful 55+ he embodies the history, the rough times in Vancouver radio.

I wish Jon the best and urge the beans to put him in the morning before cashtill eats the frosty ratings forever.

time for a swim (on my back)
butch
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:01 pm

Pluto wrote: CKNW simply does not have the tools in place to make it work. When Frosty left, instead of searching for a suitable replacement, management took the easy way out like it always does.

<snip excellent and erudite summation>

So, in your opinion, Pluto, how long are they going to give Philip's show? Personally, I agree with Ogopogo but I don't know if they'll use that option.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Look at it this way, when - not if - Till lays an egg in the ratings, Corus will have a good reason to get rid of him and his inflated salary. The excuse to any listeners who enjoy Till ( there must be some out there) will be poor numbers. Beats the heck out of the 'sprinkles in the coffee' excuse they used to dump Rafe Mair - and his inflated salary.

Or maybe they'll get rid of Bill Good next.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia