CKNW Weekend Programming

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:04 am

I tuned in to CKNW yesterday afternoon and listened with shock and dismay to about a half an hour of a woman named Erin Airton guest-hosting The Sean Leslie Show.

Her qualifications to do talk radio?

She is a columnist for the giveaway rag 24 Hours and she has her own blog.

Apparently, these days, that's enough to get you a gig as an 'NW talkshow host.

In a high-pitched voice she proceeded to hem-and-haw her way through four hours of excruciatingly painful radio while managing to screw up guests' introductions even though it was apparent that she was reading prepared material off of a computer screen.

I was no fan of David Berner's when he was the host of this timeslot, but compared to his replacements, he was a breath of fresh air.

It looks like 'NW management has completely given up.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:42 am

Tottenham Man wrote:Here's a question I've been dying to ask for quite some time.?

If the current state of CKNW pisses you guys off so much, why do you still listen?? Other than to torment yourselves?

I don't make a point to listen to 'NW, but when I'm in the car I occasionally tune them in to see if anything has changed.

Of course, if there are any changes at 980, they're always for the worse, and the station continues to cultivate a foul stench.

You are correct Tottenham Man, the CKNW we remember is G O N E, never to return.

This is what pisses me off.

So I will continue to tune in, monitor its activities and report their management's insane programming faux pas on this board.

The reason: Because people need to know.

People need to know how a handful of buffoons - through sheer greed and stupidity completely ruined what at one time was one of the best radio stations in Canada.

I hope this answers your question.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 am

Tottenham Man wrote:Why don't you tell people who aren't part of the industry?? They are the ones who listen.

I'm on my down to the old folks retirement home with a handheld bullhorn right now.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:01 pm

Tottenham Man wrote:Say hi to Sykes for me when you get there.  He'll be the fellow with the full diaper! :unsure:

Ahh, Sykes.

He always greets me at the door with a bedpan full of freshly-baked cookies.

I'll be happy to pass along your good wishes!
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Tottenham Man wrote:
Uhhhhmmm...I'd be wary of the chocolate chips.

Thanks for the chip ... I mean tip.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:07 pm

I'd say the urge to tune into the Old Dog once in a while is like driving by an accident scene out on Hiway One. You know it's going to be gruesome, but you just can't help yourself. And these days, the Dog is gruesome and according to morning host Phil Till - edible. Heard from an old friend today that there was some sort of listener poll recently where Till wanted to know if his show should continue to follow a story about killing and devouring dogs. I doubt Till had the imagination to see the parallel between the story and the current state of affairs in the Black Tower.

So glad I missed it. My buddy says it was the last straw for him. NW has been removed from his car radio selector panel.

Good work, Phil. Another listener dispatched. You'll be rid of all of them soon.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia