Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:59 am

JUST ANNOUNCED

FREE GATE ADMISSION
ON OPENING DAY, August 19, 2006

From 9 am ? 12 noon
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:49 am

I wouldn't really call it Radio At The PNE ... more accurately it should be Radio Station logos at the PNE. Other than NW doing cut ins from the "Crystal Truck" and maybe Zed and The Beat in Playland, I doubt there is any others on location.

I was somewhat amused to see the AM 730 logo in the PNE insert in the Sun last week. what could they possibly sponsor at the PNE other than up to the minute parking information from Chopper 730? "We're above Lot 7 just behind the Coliseum and it looks like there are 4 available spaces. Head for the Lot 7 entrance just off Renfrew Street. On Dundas Street just west of Renfrew I see someone waving a parking $5 sign. That's at a blue house on the north side of Dundas just west of Renfrew. That's up to the minute PNE Parking information from Chopper 730 on Vancouver's ONLY parking lot info station."
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:52 am

radiofan wrote: I wouldn't really call it Radio At The PNE ... more accurately it should be Radio Station logos at the PNE. Other than NW doing cut ins from the "Crystal Truck" and maybe Zed and The Beat in Playland, I doubt there is any others on location.

The logos likely didn't get in gratis, either.

I wonder if there's much point any more of stations broadcasting from the PNE any more.

730 could always have Alex Lyons high above a two-kid collision at the cotton candy booth.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:35 pm

cart_machine wrote:I wonder if there's much point any more of stations broadcasting from the PNE any more.

730 could always have Alex Lyons high above a two-kid collision at the cotton candy booth.

cArtie.

cArtie -

I hate to nitpick, but for that high-concept, value-added, traffic reporting sheen of authenticity - shouldn't that read crunch-up?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:24 pm

I could be wrong, but the feeling around town is that the next book, may
show Am 730, literally right off the table, making mojo's numbers look
spectacular. Can't confirm this however, as BBM is a complete shot in the
dark sometimes.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:15 pm

Here's my two cents worth. There will be some listeners to the rebroadcasts but they will come at the expense of NW. I predict nothing but hashmarks in breaksfast, drive and weekends. I think the overall audience will be worse than the last incarnation of MOJO. Look for Corus to lease the station to some local ethnic broadcasters or perhaps Blender Media might want to run wall to wall "business" shows hyping various investments.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Pluto wrote:
cart_machine wrote:I wonder if there's much point any more of stations broadcasting from the PNE any more.

cArtie.

cArtie -

I hate to nitpick, but for that high-concept, value-added, traffic reporting sheen of authenticity - shouldn't that read crunch-up?

Well, I guess I'm not going to get offered a job there, am I?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:36 pm

radiofan wrote: I wouldn't really call it Radio At The PNE ... more accurately it should be Radio Station logos at the PNE. Other than NW doing cut ins from the "Crystal Truck" and maybe Zed and The Beat in Playland, I doubt there is any others on location.

CKNW, CFOX, CISL/Z95 are all doing cutins from the PNE. Couldn't find JR or QM etc. location.

Z95 was awarded the "Media Partner of the Year Award" at the PNE Celebration Dinner Thursday night.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:16 am

radiofan wrote:I wouldn't really call it Radio At The PNE ... more accurately it should be Radio Station logos at the PNE. Other than NW doing cut ins from the "Crystal Truck" and maybe Zed and The Beat in Playland, I doubt there is any others on location.

SUN NEWS FOR FAIR
BILL NEWELL TO BROADCAST FROM GROUNDS

The nightly broadcast of Sun news over CKWX at 6:30 o'clock will again be a feature of the exhibition.
Bill Newell, Sun radio editor and news announcer, will do his broadcast of local and world events direct from the outdoor stage on the lawn in front of the exhibition offices.
Special lines to CKWX have been installed, and in addition to news going over the air as usual, the broadcast will also go over the loud speaker system throughout the grounds.
Last year this nightly feature at 6:30 o'clock proved popular with exhibition crowd, who gathered in front of the outdoor stage, waiting for the start of the evening shows.
Many who spend the entire day on the grounds are thus afforded an opportunity of hearing the day's news.

Vancouver Sun, Wednesday, August 26, 1936

cArtie.
(avoiding the boring old fair)
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm

QM would have been onsite, but then someone in the programming department realized that a computer screen sitting at a podium might look a bit odd to the fairgoers.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:46 pm

a mr bill hughes just told me Gerry Pash used to be the "voice of the pne" is that true?

I have a failing memory or missed that chapter of 'ex' history.

Update - Mr. Gerry Pash says he was never the voice of the pne - so what is hughes talking about?

Now Gerry did you meet Hughes at any BCAB meetings?

or how about a Bill Hughes story.....radiofan over to you
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:09 pm

Wrong Jerry. It was Jerry Landa who read the mind numbing copy hyping the demolition derby at 2 and the cow judging in the Agrodome over the PNE loudspeakers each day.

I think Gerry Pash ended up with Search and Rescue.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Top Dog wrote: a mr bill hughes just told me Gerry Pash used to be the "voice of the pne" is that true?

I have a failing memory or missed that chapter of 'ex' history.

Update - Mr. Gerry Pash says he was never the voice of the pne - so what is hughes talking about?

You must have spilled some of that cake in your ears, TD. Jerry Landa did the PNE announcing for quite awhile.

I don't think Gerry Pash did PNE stuff, but I'll stand corrected. He was in management at CFVR about 35 years ago, then, if I recall, ended up at CKOK with Ken Davis (I'm a little fuzzy on this I haven't met either of them). He's been doing media relations work on the Island for the search and rescue unit for some time now.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey maybe Bill said Landa - who knows the beer and the cream cheese and thoughts of Bennie and Mileos stirring in my head.... it might have been a chocolate moment....

Now back to the facts....

Gerry Pash is

1990 to present,
a public affairs officer for Maritime Forces Pacific Headquarters and the Regional Cadet Support Unit Pacific in Victoria, he regularly acts as MC for events such as parades to commemorate the Battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain and Canadian Peacekeeping missions.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 am

Pics of some of the radio stations at this years PNE from Dan Sys

radiofan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia