Jennifer and Joe

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:34 pm

Any truth to the rumours that Jennifer Thomson and Joe Leary will be on the air at CFUN tomorrow afternoon and the rest of the week from 3 til 6?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:30 am

Guess we will find out at 3pm if you are listening to the mighty 141

What is up with CFUN are they testing audiences?, is this summer stock replacements?

Maybe the experts can tell us - are we just tempting fate?,,, teasing the stars or what?
butch
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:18 am

If true, I'd be very pleased for J.T......as some once said...tune in at 3 for the answer.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:44 am

Am I missing something here? Another CFUN audition?

Didn't TDM do one show over there about three weeks ago and then disappear? There may have been others, I don't know.

So when did auditioning on air for a radio gig become the new normal?

I know it's been done sporadically in the past, but it usually involved putting the new guy on the all-night shift for a couple of weeks so he could familiarize himself with the station's format before letting him on during other dayparts - and this was after he'd already been hired.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. No one (at least in this town,) airs any live programming after midnight.

Who's the PD over there? When the guy before him quit or got fired, did CHUM try out a few replacements before finally hiring this guy?

What is the point of these try-outs? Why, at this late date is CFUN suddenly concerned that they make the right decision? This station has sucked for years, it's obviously being run like a boiler room operation for the sole purpose of churning out bucks, hanging onto the coattails of QM-FM.

So why are they treating this - an afternoon gig at a radio station virtually no one listens to - like it's akin to naming a new pope or GM automobile?

This is ridiculous.

If you want to hire someone, then have the courage of your convictions and hire them.

Don't hold a goddamn endless cattle call just because there's lot of unemployed radio people in town looking for work who'll show up and dance to your tune.

By the way, as far as I can tell, CFUN is not even doing any advertising to promote this - there's not even a mention of it on their website.

So how is the listening public even supposed to find out about this event?

This just smacks of another PD who doesn't have a clue about anything stirring things up before the fall Book just to make it appear that he's doing something.

I am so sick of what passes for radio in this town.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm

On Air Auditions have been around since the middle of the last century.
They did it at CHUM with the "victim" on the overnight show, usually between 2 and 4am when, back then, no one was listening except the PD.
And to correct the assumption that no Vancouver station is live 24/7, both WX and NW are staffed overnight. NW has a newsperson (usually the excellent Terry Bell) and an op.
WX has a newsperson and a traffic person.
"Name Brand" people from other markets or even the same market would appear on afternoon shifts back in the day, often using an "alias"
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:46 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:On Air Auditions have been around since the middle of the last century.

Yes. I believe I already acknowledged that; please, let's not give credit to a program director in the year 2006 for coming up with an original idea.

Mike Cleaver wrote:And to correct the assumption that no Vancouver station is live 24/7, both WX and NW are staffed overnight.? NW has a newsperson (usually the excellent Terry Bell) and an op.
WX has a newsperson and a traffic person.

Yes, CKWX broadcasts live overnights, but in Vancouver, it stands alone.

Your 'NW statement is crapola.

Nothing against Terry Bell, but if you call a lone newsperson popping in twice an hour between stale repeats of canned talkshows live programming, then, sorry, but I have to disagree.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm with Pluto on the lack of live stations in this market. Company shareholders make more money and listeners get screwed. I'll tell you why they have a rotation of different hosts in drive on CFUN. I bet they aren't paying anyone for the week long "tryouts". CFUN is a joke. Wait until BCE takes over and they clean out the bozo CHUM management.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:07 pm

JT and Leary are live on CFUN right now. Listen live at http://cfun.com/listenlive.asp
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:44 pm

What's with the name change? The show returns from commercial breaks say "The CFUN Afternoon Show with guest hosts Joe Leary and Jennifer Johnson".

The board op is playing music going into breaks rather than coming out of the break...that really sounds awkward.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:52 pm

radiofan wrote: What's with the name change? The show returns from commercial breaks say "The CFUN Afternoon Show with guest hosts Joe Leary and Jennifer Johnson".

Yeah, I heard those too.

I guess they're meant to add a touch of humor to the proceedings.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Maybe she got to take JJ's last name as part of the NW severence package. :o
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jenniferthomson » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:21 am

radiofan wrote:Maybe she got to take JJ's last name as part of the NW severence package.  :o

HAHA. Very funny. Thanks for the laugh!
I didn't actually hear the promo say JOHNSON but had about 6 people say that to me last night. My guess is it was meant to be funny (there were one or two others promos that had our names screwed up)

JJ, I mean, JT

:P
jenniferthomson

Postby cart_machine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:11 pm

jenniferthomson wrote:
I didn't actually hear the promo say JOHNSON but had about 6 people say that to me last night. My guess is it was meant to be funny (there were one or two others promos that had our names screwed up)

Jennifer, best of luck. You probably can't talk a lot about it, but is this just a one-week thing? What's next? What did Neil or whoever's running things over there tell you two?

Getting names wrong is a real lame attempt at humour, if that's what it was.

Some advice - don't try dating Joe like his co-host at CHRX did. ;)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Kathy Morse is filling in for Pia

the others are stand ins

lets get back to the Fred rumour mill
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Fred and Cathy rumours are flying.
I hope that Doreen Copeland did NOT get the hoof at CLEAR-FM.
Any news, you can post>/?
segueking2
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia