Latre-mornings are back!

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:30 am

Will Clear FM be spinning the format wheel this weekend?

From a post by Heard it On The X in another thread..

From News1130.com

Latre-mornings are back!
August 31, 2006 - 8:57 am
By: Treena Wood

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Big news in the radio business! Fred Latremouille and Cathy Baldazzi, one of Vancouver's best known morning show hosts, are back on the air this Tuesday with our sister station 104.9 Clear FM. Fred tells us fans will have no problem recognizing the famous team, and their unique program. Fred and Cathy shot to stardom in the 80's after they teamed up at CFUN, and were at Kiss FM until they retired in 1999. They decided to come back because they missed being on the air and interacting with their audience.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby notpuikin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:41 am

This might explain why Doreen Copeland is no longer in the building?
notpuikin

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 am

Just heard a voicer with Fred on News 1130 .. he said Wayne Cox will be doing weather and Terry Chan will be producer. Has Terry given up PM Drive at Country 107?

The Clear FM website has a pic of Fred and Kathy, plus the words .. "Weekdays 5:30 - 9am on the new 104.9 CLEAR FM"

Clear FM Website
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby TheDude » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 am

Terry Chan will be Music Director in addition to Producing the morning show, so presumably his days in Abbotsford are over. Don Lehn will also be joining the "New Clear FM" team as the morning newsie, word is that Colleen Troy will be bumped to either mid-days or afternoon drive.
?
TheDude
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:12 am

This makes things real interesting in the Vancouver market.

A 70's/80's based music format has been mentioned for Clear FM. I'm sure some 60's would be mixed in for flavour, so in effect we finally have an oldies station on FM. Goodbye C-ISL!!!

Fred and Cathy will attract a big chunk of QM-FM's audience regardless of the format.

And finally the best news of all, Fred and Cathy being back in the picture may show how few listeners that pompous old fart who's attempting to fill Frosty's shoes at NW really has. It could also be the long awaited kick in the balls that will send the once mighty dog into the world of single digit numbers.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am

Thank God....a station to listen to in the mornings! I've bounced around from one frequency to another over the past few months and none of them do the trick. CBC is so boring, it puts me back to sleep. NW's morning program is an insult to good taste. I listen to WX for the news but miss the music. JACK was great until they brought in Larry and Willy. I don't bother tuning in until 9 a.m. now.

Count me in as a CLEAR-FM listener starting Tuesday. And I hope they're playing some of the 80's stuff.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:27 am

Favorites of Yesterday and Today .. Five Decades of Music .. Commercial Free For The Long Weekend.

Smooth Jazz is gone from 104.9!

radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:53 pm

I'm glad the elevator music is gone. I bet the folks at New-Cap in Calgary wish they had the freedom to do what Rogers has done in Vancouver today.

Congratulations to Rogers for doing a format change in Vancouver and not stunting with god damn Christmas music. 4 months of it would be a bit much!
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:19 pm

radiofan wrote: Favorites of Yesterday and Today .. Five Decades of Music .. Commercial Free For The Long Weekend.

Smooth Jazz is gone from 104.9!

Oh swell...one yawner format for another :-( Do we REALLY need another JACK-FM?? Fred & Cathy sound like the only bright spot on 104.9 Count me out...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Great to hear the real pros of the business are coming back. Something to listen to in the morning now.

Maybe Fred will give me my badminton racquet back.....he's had it for 35 years.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 pm

With interest, he should paying you back by building you a badminton court.

...in Maui.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 pm

I hate to rain on the Fred and Cathy parade but are they going to do the show from Hawaii? Rogers doesn't like to lose so change at Clear was inevitable and with QM/FM having a cheapo morning duo this is a good move. But if it turns out that the dynamic duo are going to be "calling it in" from their couch in Maui I wouldn't get too excited if I were QM. No matter how hard they try to make it "local" it won't sound right. Some people will tune in without a doubt but it won't be anywhere near as successful as if they were actually in Vancouver. Mind you people seem pretty desperate for even a reasonable fascimile of morning show these days so it might work out alright for Rogers. Hawaii or not this is really bad news for NWs morning debacle. They should have given the gig to Jim Fraser and let him play music instead of having the failed American/Brit making a mess of things. Then again the braintrust at Corus has been responsible for one f*ckup after another. If the music on 104.9 turns out to be even remotely close to "oldies" then CISL might as well shut off the transmitter. Gerry O'Day is a nice guy but his taste in music is abysmal and a big reason that CISLs audience is small and old. Hats off to Rogers for doing something though, this shareholder appreciates the effort.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia