Diane Francis cancels spot on NW Infomercial

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby kat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 pm

Sorry for the C&P, but I'd hate for anyone to miss this article in today's Sun.

Outraged Francis cancels spot on Money Matters

David Baines, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Page D4 - Business BC section

Many people are clamouring to appear on Market Matters, the one-hour penny stock infomercial broadcast every Saturday at 11 a.m. on CKNW and the Corus Radio Network. But Diane Francis is not one of them.

The editor-at-large for the National Post had been scheduled to appear on the show, which is owned and produced by Vancouver's Blender Media, on Oct. 7.

This surprised me, as Francis has been a tireless campaigner against stock fraud, and many of the companies that are featured on Market Matters are, at best, questionable investment offerings and, at worst, infested with stock offenders.

When I filled her in on some of the details of the show, including the fact that junior companies pay $6,500 to get asked patsy questions by host Tom Jeffries, she was outraged and immediately cancelled.

"This show was misrepresented to me when I agreed to be interviewed," she told me. "If I had known that they charge companies, I would never have considered being interviewed. It's not journalism.

"This kind of radio should not be allowed. Infomercials on TV are identified visually the entire time the program is aired, and identified as such on TV guides.

"The problem with this radio-informercial is that the show sounds like bona fide programming. The listeners also likely don't realize that this type of programming arrangement means the anchor and producers have a conflict of interest, journalistically speaking.

"The conflict is that these are not arm's-length interviews by independent journalists. Their salaries are being paid [indirectly] by the people or companies they are interviewing. Selection of subject, therefore, is not based on merit but on money."

She is absolutely right, CKNW listeners would be wise to take her words to heart.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:24 pm

This is a great coup for CKNW.

They've actually managed to offend The National Post.

On the lighter side, nice way for Tom Jeffries to wrap up his broadcast career.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:06 pm

I am totally amazed that anybody actually pays money for a program or infomercial on CKNW.

On TV and usually on radio, you buy a half hour or an hour and you use that time to flog your service or product. The hour is yours.

Not on CKNW. You get less than 45 minutes of the hour that you have paid for. For some reason they keep the commercial breaks that would appear if it was regular NW programming. Is this just a cash grab on their part, or is it set up that way so listeners will not realize it is "paid programming" that they are listening to? After the top of the hour news there is a quick mention that the following program is paid for and it not endorsed by CKNW ...blah blah blah.

As was mentioned in Baines' article, on TV there is a constant reminder that you are watching a paid program.

This bullshit excuse for radio programming should be stopped by the CRTC. It's a waste of public airwaves and a way for broadcasters to make a quick buck from snake oil salespeople and Howe Street hucksters.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia