CFUN: Please Put David on the Back Berner

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 23, 2006 10:00 am

If the rumours currently circulating about format changes at CFUN ( and I'm not saying that they are ); the one that has former CKNW talkshow host David Berner hosting a retooled afternoon drive show is the most intriguing.

I find it interesting that in Vancouver - whenever a radio station decides to make programming changes - it inevitably means another tiresome game of musical chairs among the increasingly dwindling roster of players.

While any kind of shake-up in what has become a very boring radio market would be welcome, what is it about jumping on another station's cast-offs that seems to appeal to Vancouver programmers?

You may happen to think that Berner is a talented talkshow host.

I would disagree.

Irregardless of anyone's personal opinion though, these lateral arabesques generally do not work.

AM600 tried it with Rafe Mair ( Who does have talent ) and it was a disaster.

Before tinkering with other dayparts CFUN needs to revamp their morning show. This is where they have to concentrate their efforts if they want to take a run at CKNW.

'NW's morning show is vulnerable and susceptible to being knocked off.

Radio listeners are sick of what passes for entertainment from Philip Till and crew. But right now - aside from the CBC - there is nowhere else on the AM dial for them to turn.

I hold out no hopes whatsoever that anything that CFUN does will prove to be anything but an unmitigated disaster.

It's just too little, too late.

But when people start jumping all over what is essentially just an unsubstantiated rumour, it just goes to show how desperate Vancouver listeners are for something / anything to relieve the boredom of AM radio in this city.

David Berner doing afternoon drive?

I don't think so.

At this late date, another Manny Buzunis wannabe just isn't going to cut the mustard.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Tue May 23, 2006 10:42 am

Have to disagree with you, Pluto, about David Berner and CFUN. He would be a big improvement on current programming, but I agree not on afternoons. Berner does best in the evening with a mix of guests and topics. If they stuck him on drive, he'd have to do the political schtick about which he knows next to nothing.
CFUN management would be smart to play to Berner's strengths and use him on evenings.

If they really want to take a run at CKNW in the morning, they should look to hire someone with some class and intelligence like Kelly Ryan. She's a solid reporter who sounded very comfortable filling in mornings on the CBC. Then some idiot at the Corpse came up with the idea for an afternoon show that can only be described as 'abysmal.' It's only a matter of time before Ryan and her co-host are canned. Who knows, there might be a few more frustrated people at the Corpse willing to give CFUN a shot.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 23, 2006 12:55 pm

Stn Brk wrote:Have to disagree with you, Pluto, about David Berner and CFUN.  He would be a big improvement on current programming, but I agree not on afternoons.

Given the current roster at CFUN, anyone would be a big improvement.

I know that Berner seems to have some sort of fanbase in Vancouver that would no doubt follow him over there, and if that's the case, fine.

As it is now - with their non-existant audience - Berner doing afternoons would have about the same impact as him home alone singing to himself in the shower.

I'm for anybody taking a run at 'NW, no matter how liittle effect it may have on their ( 'NWs ) bottom line initially. They are certainly due for a kick in the ass, and knowing how Berner likes to hold a grudge, it's just possible that he may rise to the occasion and eventually cause them some damage.

I do agree with you about the CBC's Kelly Ryan.

I discovered her the day 'NW started broadcasting Charles Adler's snoozefest.

Never caught her doing mornings over there, but yes, she seems talented and that afternoon show Freestyle ( or should that be Freefall? ) is a complete waste of time.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue May 23, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm no fan of burnout but he would be an improvement over what passes for radio at CFUN. I think he'd be fine in drive but an island of pseudo radio isn't going to work. The main reason that Rafe failed on 600 is that his lead-in was next to nothing. If Bill Good was on after Bob Saye he'd get the same result. The real problem with news/talk radio in Vancouver is that it's dull. Sure NW claims to have "cutting edge" talk but it's nothing but corporate pablum. Berner is just another wornout corporate toady well past his sell by date.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue May 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Well I will wade in and hang myself out to dry.

Let's not talk about Rafe or Berner.

I think we should call Jon Mc 'old' and hire people only that happen to be younger than him. But he can do the training.

The talent searchers cannot go the well anymore...the old well is dry. Its time to do a talent search and get young people like Zack, Steve and others I cannot watch because of my location and gear up for the next generation. Its time to find some new younger newspaper people. Did you listen to the Wasserman tape..he had a great voice and died at 50.

I dont mind saying I am almost ten years old than that but young in heart and I can be entertained by the young people in the industry.

BUT

we dont have any risky owners, we dont have any risky managers. We are controlled by bean counters and money laundrers.

If you dont like my names - give me some youthful people without gray hair and then David Berner can do overnites like Mair and Kyle.

What will CFUN do? - Nothing probably...tweak a bit - give tom lucas another hour
let Pia go for a face lift.

what the hell - they must be making a few shekkels
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Tue May 23, 2006 9:46 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while...maybe it's time us boomers got out of the way and let the next generation(s) rule! Is there a talk format that appeals to the under 40's? Will kids who like rock today morph into the kind of people who care about public affairs? My guess is that as soon as they start paying taxes, they certainly will.

Those of us born between 1945 and 1960 have had our way with North American culture. We did an OK job with it, but the Gen X's and Gen Y's got left out. Who's next? Whoever...it is time for us old b*****s to step aside and let them take the medium we love to the next level. We did it...now it's their turn.

So enough already with David Berner on C-FUN. Personally, I'd love to hear him on the air again, but it occurs to me that I am well beyond anyone's target demo now.

This might be fun...who in the league of young radio people should be thinking about hanging up their ol' rock 'n roll shoes and taking on a new generation of talk radio listeners?

The nominees are.....????
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Postby buzzbishop » Tue May 23, 2006 9:56 pm

Roger Kingkade.

Never mind under 40, he's under 30 and knows his sh-.

Have a listen for yourself: http://twine.typepad.com
buzzbishop
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 am

StnBrk said

Berner does best in the evening with a mix of guests and topics.

;) How true.Unfortunately, ridiculously few are tuned to CFUN in the evening,let alone the daytime. He'd be wasted in that slot. IMHO, he'd be a lot more fun to watch on tv in a face to face celebrity interview show.(or has he attempted that already?)
BR
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Glen Livingstone » Wed May 24, 2006 8:45 am

Realistically - Berner rumours aside - does anyone think that CFUN can successfully revamp their talk format?

I sure don't.

And besides, why the sudden urge to make changes?

Look at the leftover garbage that they've been dishing up over there now for years -are we expected to believe that management finally woke up two weeks ago and decided that they wanted to do good radio?

Does anybody working in radio these days actually know what good radio is anymore?

That was not a rhetorical question.

For CFUN to make any inroads at all the entire on-air lineup would have to be gutted and completely retooled.

I can't see CHUM handing over the cash to make this happen. It's a company that doesn't like to throw cash around and this would be a very cash-heavy endeavour indeed.

When I hear things like the Berner / CFUN rumour currently circulating, it just reinforces everything that I've come to believe about the radio business in the year 2006:

The people in management who call the shots and make the decisions are just plain stuck-on-stupid.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Wed May 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Unfortunately, you're probably right there Pluto. CHUM will try to make a big splash by shuffling a few shows around. But no one at head office will be willing to spend the money it would take to produce a decent talk station. Too bad because talk is prime Boomer territory and the Boomers are the ones with the money to spend.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Thu May 25, 2006 7:45 am

buzzbishop wrote: Roger Kingkade.

Never mind under 40, he's under 30 and knows his sh-.

Have a listen for yourself: http://twine.typepad.com

That way, Roger can be one step closer to his ultimate goal of having worked at every station in Vancouver before turning 40!
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Kingkade » Thu May 25, 2006 8:47 am

That way, Roger can be one step closer to his ultimate goal of having worked at every station in Vancouver before turning 40!

Impossible. Fairchild won't return my calls.
Kingkade

Postby Howard Stern » Thu May 25, 2006 9:31 am

Top Dog wrote:
What will CFUN do? - Nothing probably...tweak a bit - give tom lucas another hour
let Pia go for a face lift.

what the hell - they must be making a few shekkels

Tom Lucas' last show was on may 27th.
he's going to be running a Real Estate show on CFUN starting in a week or two.
Howard Stern

Postby tuned » Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 am

Canada's four letter word of broadcasting have no incentive to do anything with CFUN. All three of their listeners are in the same demos as QM. Can you say combo? Maybe burnout will work for a buck fifty just to stay on the air but I doubt any serious assault on the dog is going to happen. Isn't the PD over there a failed former sales rep? If all you owned was 1410 there is no way you could survive with the fetid programming offered up by chum but thanks to consolidation they can move dough around as it suits them and keep pieces of crap like CFUN on the air.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia