Norm Pringle

A look back at various radio stations

Norm Pringle

Postby Victoriaradio » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Report this postReply with quoteby Victoriaradio » 26 May 2006 07:47 am -THIS IS WHAT I WROTE IN 2006.

The greatest of them all from early Victoria radio, in my opinion, is Norm Pringle. When I was a teenager I would go to CKDA in the basement of the Hotel Douglas on Saturday afternoons and watch Norm Pringle through the studio glass. He would sometimes invite me into the control room. Today Norm and I are good friends, communicating frequently by email. Norm lives with his wife Elsie in California.

Norm appeared on Musical Roundup (a show Warren Barker once did) as the "Sheriff". He had a cast of characters which he voiced - the olde timer being one. Later in the evening he hosted CKDA Houseparty to which almost every car radio would be tuned and every teenager's radio also. Norm had a creativity and flexibility that was exceptional in the radio business.

He wrote songs (still does) and several were recorded on Aragon Records by Evan Kemp. Two of his most well known creations in those days were "Laughing Waters", and "When Santa Got Stuck in the Chimney". The "Santa Got Stuck..." record was an annual Christmas favorite for Victoria audiences.

One day while looking through the CKDA studio glass I saw and heard this young tall country singer appearing for the first time on radio and being interviewed on Norm's "Sheriff" show. That tall young singer was Tommy Hunter.

Prior to Victoria days Norm had worked in Calgary radio and CKMO in Vancouver as announcer and PD.

Today Norm runs his virtual radio station from California, but always with a Canadian interest. Norm's site is http://WWW.cybercloud.com. Recently at a Canadian Country music show Tommy Hunter introduced Norm from the audience as the person who gave him his media start.

Norm Pringle is above everything a fine person and a concerned citizen of the planet!

*****************************************************************************************************************************
Norm had a stroke in early December but is recovering. If you remember this great talent email him a note.
*****************************************************************************************************************************

Report this postReply with quote
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History