CFMI

A look back at various radio stations

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:18 am

new feature starts today

radiofan - over the course of the next week hopefully we will describe current and former looks, types of broadcasting etc on cfmi.

I will start later with pictures and others can contribute stickers, charts, personalities etc.

questions first

was george garrett first manager

was it set up in gastown

what was the actual format chosen to launch
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:52 am

Top Dog wrote:
was it set up in gastown

what was the actual format chosen to launch

I don't think they had any studio set up in Gastown as I recall. I do remember as far back as 1966, CKNW indicating they wanted an FM license for a country-western station. I'm not sure if I'm accurate about this, but think their initial application to the BBG was for the call letters CKNW-FM. When they signed on in 1970 they used the slogan "FM One" (thus the C "FMI" call letters) and had a hybrid country/rock format that played artists like Merle haggard, The Byrds, Creedence, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Flying Burrito Bros, Grateful Dead, Charlie Pride etc etc. On Sundays they had an "International" based sound (can't remember what they called it) with music from all over the world. The shops on Robson St all had it blaring away on Sundays. there were little vignettes and historical anecdotes about Gastown and Vancouver's early history (voiced by Paul Preston maybe???) As a diehard LG-FM listener in those days, I did enjoy listening to their country-rock format some of the time. I think they dumped this in either 1972 or 73 for an EZ listening/"elevator music" format
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 am

Top Dog wrote:

radiofan - over the course of the next week hopefully we will describe current and former looks, types of broadcasting etc on cfmi.

Have you ever thought of consulting with people before volunteering them to work with you on a project?

Have fun with your CFMI bio.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 pm

My favourite time period in CFMI's history is the 1980 - 1986 era when they had an album-oriented AC format and I was a farily regular listener in those days. In particular, I enjoyed listening to Brian Arnold's mid-day show and often chatted with Brian on the CFMI 'request line. Brian played a pretty wide variety of stuff and wasn't afraid to play two or three album cuts in a row when introducing new music to listeners. Their playlist at any given time seemed to include a pretty large selection of currents, recurrents and oldies. When long-time album-oriented/free-format KZAM-FM in Seattle bit the dust in 1983, I became a solid listener to CFMI when not listening to (or working at) C-JAZ. Around the time that JR Country signed on, CFMI switched to a harder rock sound which I lost interest in pretty quickly & haven't listened since.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:27 pm

radiofan wrote:
Have you ever thought of consulting with people before volunteering them to work with you on a project?

Have fun with your CFMI bio.

Agitator ;-)
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Answers:

1) Mr Garrett was the manager.

2) The station was fully automated on McBride with the infamous "Fat Albert" automation, probably the only all cart automation system ever built. Problems getting stereo performance from carts resulted in the invention and eventual manufacture of the Aristocart by WIC engineers Jack Gordon, Don Kalmakoff, Dave Glasstetter, Doug Court and Dick DiPalma. Kalmakoff left CKNW to helm the manufacturing operation.

3) The format was cowboy music. It didn't last more than a few days.

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm

As I recall they were playing AOR with some classic rock mixed in when CHRX signed on in '88 and then went whole hog on the classic rock, especially towards the end of RX's run in 1994. I even remember when 600 went Christian, 101 ran liners that said, "Welcome CHRX listeners!"
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:17 pm

I thought CFMI moved from "Vancouver's Best Rock" to "Classic Rock 101 CFMI" around May 1992.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 pm

albertaboy4life wrote: I thought CFMI moved from "Vancouver's Best Rock" to "Classic Rock 101 CFMI" around May 1992.

You are correct albertaboy ... 8 months later CHRX dropped Classic Rock and was born again.

Myself and many other I know tuned out from what was happening at CFMI in 1986 when CKNW/CFMI GM Ted Smith hired US consultant John Sebastian and the station adopted his Eclectic format. It was past it's best before date before it was implemented.

Once Smith saw what a disaster that was, he quickly lured CFOX PD Don Shafer to take over the reigns of CFMI from Tim Burge. The station went head to head with the FOX and it's AOR format. Many CFOX people followed Schafe to McBride Plaza and CFMI became Vancouver's Best Rock.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:44 pm

keep it up folks - even you Dorothy!

pix are coming - hold on - I have to celebrate my 60th tomorrow and then I will get into the swing of it..

there is some story connected to gastown - I just haven't found it yet.

this will be another barn burner of a thread - thanks mike/haz

and someone mention mr cfmi - brian arnold

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:28 am

March 1970

thanks to Brian Walks for this and what's below (a later logo)

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 pm

this is a picture of the first cfmi board ( I have been corrected)

you can name the jock and the approx year

thanks to gord lansdell for this original black and white
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:08 pm

That would be Dan Russell.... about 80/81? (Maybe a bit later because of the 'puter)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Top Dog wrote: this is a picture of the first cfmi board

you can name the jock and the approx year

This isn't the original CFMI board.

Dan's Sport Talk originated from the old Expo site talk studios on Pacific Blvd.

Give us the facts Top Dog .. .don't guess at stuff!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Russ_Byth wrote: That would be Dan Russell.... about 80/81?  (Maybe a bit later because of the 'puter)

Russ .. it is Dan ...Sports Talk was on CFMI in the early 90's before it moved to NW.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio Station History