CFMI

A look back at various radio stations

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm

If you had opened your files - I would not have to come up with all these
things..

If you notice its a sly way of getting the facts.

now this is the 1980 board

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Groovy lamps! Wonder what ever happened to them.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Top Dog wrote:
If you notice its a sly way of getting the facts.

Your method reminds me of the way NW often got news stories confirmed.

If the couldn't get an answer out of someone [usually a union related story], they'd make up a story and run with it. Within minutes of the newscast someone from the union or from management would be on the phone telling the news desk the real story.

Sneaky way of "breaking news" .. but it worked for years.

There was a time when so much of the news on NW was union related, many thought the NW logo should have included a hard hat and a lunch bucket.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Stn Brk wrote: Groovy lamps! Wonder what ever happened to them.

I'd forgotten all about those. They really did make the place feel homey didn't they?. All the studio needed was a fireplace.

Bob Boving's air purifier [negative ion generator] was a nice touch too.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:22 pm

radiofan wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote: That would be Dan Russell.... about 80/81?? (Maybe a bit later because of the 'puter)

Russ .. it is Dan ...Sports Talk was on CFMI in the early 90's before it moved to NW.

That's right RF...of course it was the 90's...not the 80's! Not quite sure where I put that decade! I do remember that CFMI early 80's studio... though I spent most of my time on McBride in the nearly identical AM one down the hall. Loved that intercom too!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:54 am

Intercom, eh? So were you one of those people who'd sit in a quiet room and flip the toggle switches to listen in on conversations elsewhere in the building?

That photo brought back a lot of memories - some of them good. John Tanner's teapot with God knows what steeping inside/the old Ampex at the back for Discumentary (whaddayamean ya can't change tapes during a 30 second spot?)/
pulling miles of tape out of hungry cart machines.

And you're right, RF, the newsies weren't above making things up in order to smoke out a story or two. Arnie Epp and his alter-egos, Klaus and Helmut, were notorious. I heard a great story a few years back about Epp phoning an airport pretending to be a Transportation Safety Board inspector to get details of a plane crash. Now that's balls!
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Stn Brk wrote: Intercom, eh? So were you one of those people who'd sit in a quiet room and flip the toggle switches to listen in on conversations elsewhere in the building?.

Never had time to do that ;) .... as an op I spent most of my time with my finger on the tape delay kill switch for the talk shows, or just wondering what Big Al was going to say next at the Pacific Coliseum!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 pm

and I would like to thank Rf for his input - there is just no other way that
TD can operate....

its his way or the highway

Actually I am looking for info on the Aristicart and somehow found this thread

now I must talk to DG about the cartridge and its inventor
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby bryguy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:15 pm

when don shafer left the fox didn''t stirling and bob join him sometime in 87? I think sports talk ran from 1989-97. Any possibilities of osting some discumentary airchecks?
bryguy
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History