Shortwave Nostalgia "Interval Signals"

A look back at various radio stations

Shortwave Nostalgia "Interval Signals"

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 pm

"INTERVAL SIGNALS ONLINE" is a web site that links you to your short wave listening past - without the static.

With short wave broadcasts to North America by international broadcasters all but gone, there is no way to hear those "Interval Signals" that identified each station as it signed on and off the air.

The "Interval Signals" for BBC World Service, Deutsche Welle, NHK Japan, Radio Nederland, Radio New Zealand Int'l, Radio Australia Int'. .... and many more stations can be found on this site. The site is well organized and the audio quality is very good. So if you are interested n "Interval Signals" check out this site: http://www.intervalsignals.net/
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Shortwave Nostalgia "Interval Signals"

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Cool site... Brings back memories of my youth as a DX'er in Calgary... Particularly Radio Australia's kookabura and HCJB in Quito, Ecuador. Just as I remember them. See you tomorrow TS... along with the rest of the gang at the Marine Pub. :occasion5:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 pm

CubbyCam - there is a lot to listen to on that site. Here is a teaser of sorts. I found this on "YouTube" and it fits right in to this thread - See how many of these "Interval Signals" you can identify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFRYKDF ... _embedded#!
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Another fascinating series TS. I have to agree with one of the commenters about the "eerie" feeling he had as a kid, listening to some of this stuff... It was almost scary... with the ethereal sounds and phasing in and out like it was coming from another dimension. I know just what he meant. I think we all do, who were dx'ers back in the day.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 pm

As a young fellow I would string a wire out the window across a few nails on the outside wall of our apt and hope for the best. I used a Phillips table radio with AM and 2 SW bands. I didn't take note of what I was listening to at the time I just enjoyed the sound of far away signals. What a great way to escape reality.

As the years went on, I found stations I liked; for NEWS and current affairs and stuck to them. (apartments are difficult places to DX from.)

As an adult we lived in an apartment for about 15 years where I was permitted by the care taker to run a long wire antenna along the roof on 5ft mast posts the length of the building roof. That was the best DXing situation I had.

This evening I continued the DX theme as i searched the web and came across this site with software that might be of interest to some who read RW/CRN.

"DXtreme Software" is the site name; http://www.dxtreme.com/
There are two software programs that look interesting, along with other links on the site.

1)Logging Software for Amateur Radio Operators: DXtreme Station Log Multimedia Edition™ Version 8.0

2)Logging Software for Radio Monitoring Enthusiasts: DXtreme Reception Log Advanced Edition™
Version 7.0
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:42 am

The interval signals that I remember most fondly are long gone; it's like losing friends. I don't have any recordings of my own, I never thought that the signals or broadcasters would disappear one day. I spent too many years away from SWLing only to find when I came back that so many international broadcasters had shut down.

Radio Australia's interval signal was a favourite. I listened to RCI in the weeks before its shutdown but never heard an interval signal. Was it the modern age of instant digital tuning of receivers that sadly rendered them obsolete years ago?
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History