CFUN Studio / People pics

A look back at various radio stations

Re: CFUN Studio / People pics

Postby radiofan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Here's some more CFUN goodies that Muzik shared with us ...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11419

PS .. Congratultions on passing the test Rich, I see you're now a member!!!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the link. Great shots. Wow. I recognize what I called "the new studio" but the original one that was down the hall and across from the Music Library was the one I was referring too. Either way, the photos are great. My first night on CFUN was March 15, 1977 and Billy Williams showed me the board. I did a couple hours on the air under Billy's watchful eye. My next shift was Friday when I filled in for Bob Magee. Talk about birth by fire. Afternoon drive was busy.

I liked the photo of Russ McLoud. Russ and I started a week or so apart. He is a great dude with a big heart. I remember Christmas 77 standing out back about to go in the door and I saw Russ coming out and walking to his 77 black Trans Am (that he loved so much). It was filled to the brim with wrapped Christmas presents and toys. I asked him where he was going with all the gifts and he replied, "Home, these are gifts for the kids on the reserve that are poor." Russ came from (and I hope I get this right) McLoud Lake, BC which was near Prince George I believe.

Russ was a superstar on the reserve and proud of his First Nation roots. I really admired him for that and for being a generous guy who never asked to be thanked. I always liked Russ. I think Tom Jefferies said it so well that it was a rare group of people at CFUN. Everyone got along so well and it was family. Nelson Millman who is a dear old friend told me Chuck asked him that question about me before I was hired and that was "Will he fit in?" Nelson lied and said yes!!
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Rich, you said it all so well.

Russ was special. No BS, hardworking and he had his dream fulfilled, when he worked at CHUM. He and the late (and much loved) Marc Webber were at CHUM together in 1988, and I had a chance to hang with them for a night. It was very nostalgic.
I miss the old days. I miss the juice. I miss the wonderful PEOPLE.

The business these days seems as quiet as a ticket booth at Sochi.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 am

Tom Jeffries wrote:The business these days seems as quiet as a ticket booth at Sochi.

Good one Tom ! :lol:
PMC

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Richie, I believe that Russ is from Fort St. James.
This small town holds special memories.
I was working at CKPG am (so many years ago, it’s now off the air) - and our ball team, the estimable, CKPG Whizzes went to this Indigenous community and boy, what a party! Nice people, so impressively warm and open.
Russ was the same. Class guy.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Tom,

I can get my mind around it as a Thrift Store. They sell the same wardrobe all the News Room guys wore.

Always a smart-ass!!

Rich Elwood
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby Thompson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 pm

I was working at CKOV in Kelowna in the late 70's. Russ arrived from up north. From day one he set his sights on
CFUN as his destination. I remember hearing him coming down the hall at Ov practicing the CFUN calls. Great guy!
A real pleasure to work with.
Thompson

Postby Fall Guy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:23 pm

Russ was my brother-in-law a friend and a mentor. This was my tribute to him
It is with a heavy heart that we say goodbye to a true champion and beloved member of our community, Russ “Too Loud McLoud”aka “The Electric Indian” Boyko. Russ was not just a man, he was a legend. A legend in the world of radio, a legend in his kindness, and a legend in his love for the First Nations people of the McLoud Lake Band. Where his roots were.

Spanning over three decades, Russ graced the Toronto airwaves with his larger-than-life personality and unmatched ability to connect with his listeners. He began his radio career at 1410 CFUN before moving on to become the Drive personality at Nifty 1050 CHUM am. His gift for storytelling, quick wit, and love of music endeared him to generations of devoted listeners.

Russ was not just a fan, he was an integral part of the Radio community. He earned the respect and trust of all who knew him and was loved and adored in return. His passing leaves a profound void in our hearts and our community.

We will always remember Russ “Too Loud McLoud” Boyko as a true champion for the First Nations people of McLoud lake band and a shining example of the best that humanity has to offer. He will be sorely missed, but his legacy will continue to inspire and guide us for generations to come. Rest in peace, Russ.

With much Love and Respect your brother in law
Rob
Fall Guy

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:47 pm

So good to recognize you after soooo many years Fall Guy, and I share your every thought and feeling about our brother- word for word.
As a lighter aside, it’s a remarkable coincidence that only days ago, I happened upon a Stargate SGI episode from 23 years ago and once again had a smile seeing you on TV in your big scene with Dom DeLuise.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History