Vancouver's short-wave station CKFX

A look back at various radio stations

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Looks like CFVP is still happening according to this website. Scroll down to "Canada" and you'll see some guy in Colorado logged them a few weeks ago:
http://www.wwdxc.de/topnews2.htm
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:34 pm

jon wrote: In October 1979, while driving through Coos Bay (Oregon) at noon, I noticed the 40 watt CBC repeater on 540 KHz in Ucluelet (like Tofino, on the West Coast of Vancouver Island) one of the strongest stations on the dial on the low-end car radio.

The Pacific Ocean is a marvelous conduit for DX.

...and on the other end of the path: 1 kW KSWB 840 Seaside, Oregon is considered a 'local signal' out at Long Beach no doubt due to its directional signal mostly aimed offshore towards the west coast of Vancouver island. It gets buried in the mud at night but is mostly laudable on a car radio driving around Tofino/Ucluelet. When KSWB was a 1 kW daytimer on 930 kHz it seemed to be even stronger than the current 840 signal. Current KSWB owner Cal Brady even says 'hi' to the Long Beach area on his morning show from time to time.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 am

CKFX didn't ONLY simulcast 'WX, though that was it's role 99% of the time. At some point after the move to the 'RockHouse on Burrard' in the late 50's & early 60's, when 'WX was heavily into sports, CKFX was used to carry Mutual's 'Baseball Game of the Day.'

The Stan Davis-designed boards had convenient transmitter switches which permitted a feed from the left channel of control B or C to be carrying the play-by-play to the shortwave audience conservatively estimated between 10 & 100! Jim Robson used to promote the Mutual games on his WX sportscast, but somehow I don't recall a flood of response from grateful sports fans.

(I don't recall any BBG or CRTC application for this either.)
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History