Local Radio is Crap - 1950

A look back at various radio stations

Local Radio is Crap - 1950

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 am

Around Your Radio Dial—Tonight
By DICK DIESPECKER
[portion of column in the Vancouver Province, May 6, 1950]

EARLY MORNING COMPLAINT
A New Westminster listener writes to complain bitterly about early morning disc jockey shows in these parts. Mrs. R.A.N. says: “As an early morning listener, we tune in the radio at 6 a.m. primarily to hear the news and hope incidentally to get a little good music. What do we get on all our local stations but a lot of miserable rubbish and the announcers constantly bringing in themselves. Station CKNW, cowboy music, some of it so doleful as to make you want to weep. CJOR, a clever announcer but music not much better. CKWX, the announcer bringing in a lot of patter about himself and the music just rubbish. In desperation we tuned into KOMO and it was just a treat to get good announcing. The announcer started it off at 6 a.m. with a salute to the morning . . . the Lord’s Prayer. Then again at 6:30 with a hymn. There must be many more like us who like some good music first in the morning. It need not be religious. But it seems too bad that we have to go out of our own province to get such a program.
TELEVISION TONIGHT, KING-TV, Channel 5.
No programs scheduled.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:10 am

The woman has a point.

I'd like to hear CKNW begin its broadcast day with Neil McRae reciting The Lord's Prayer.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 am

The last time I heard the Lord's Prayer on the air was on Air Farce when they did a politically correct version: "Our parent of unspecified gender,...".

I also wonder how many announcers could confidently recite it (i.e. - from memory), as opposed to reading a script. I haven't had much need since we stopped saying it every day in school in Grade 8 in the mid-1960s, but I could probably still recite it from memory, despite my memory problems in other areas. Some things stick with you, especially when you have to say it every school day for 8 years.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am

...better yet Phillip Till AND Neil McRae singing the morning hymn together!! :lol:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:15 am

Pluto wrote:The woman has a point.

I'd like to hear CKNW begin its broadcast day with Neil McRae reciting The Lord's Prayer.

He may need it if Mr. Aquilini keeps chatting with his lawyers ;)

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History