CKWX Fights Crime!

A look back at various radio stations

CKWX Fights Crime!

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Around Your Radio Dial
By DICK DIESPECKER [Province, Sat. Jan. 31, 1953]
The new traffic program Why Do They Do It, which started on CKWX last Tuesday night, is well worth listening to. After reading Jean Howarth’s column, I was inclined to believe that such a program would be difficult to listen to, embarrassing to the participants, and somewhat of an infringement on personal rights, but after listening to the first program, I disagree with Jean’s view. I think Why Do They Do It is serving a useful purpose. It is extremely well done and great credit should go to writer Bert Cannings and narrator Laurie Irving, and the production staff at CKWX for a very smooth job.
Nobody’s identity is ever revealed but from listening to the various actual cases, I would imagine that anyone who drinks and drives after listening to this show would think twice about doing it again.
One of the points which seemed to worry Jean Howarth was the idea of a traffic violator having a microphone stuck in his face. This also occurred to me. However, this does not happen. The traffic offenders are not aware of the microphone and do not know that the questioning to which they are submitted is being recorded. Also, none of the cases which appear on the program are innocent people. Each one which appears on Why Do They Do It is a complete case before it ever reaches the air and the traffic offender has either been fined, or, in the case of those under the influence of liquor, have had their car impounded over night, so that there is no question of an innocent person being embarrassed by hearing their voice on the air.
The program is presented with the complete co-operation of the Police Department and the first show took 106 man hours to turn out. The chief constable, Walter Mulligan, assigned traffic officers Ian Mackay and Bernie Smith to the specific job of handling the cases out of which the program is selected. Both men do very well.
The actual procedure was to get plenty of tapes, screen them, select those best illustrating the various point in traffic safety education, making up an audition tape and play a portion of it before the Vancouver Police Commissioners. They approved the principle of the show and gave their critical endorsation.
The program is a surprisingly human and I think may be definitely termed a public service. I hope the station maintains it on a sustaining basis and does not bring a commercial sponsor into the picture.
Radio is making a big bid this year for legislative coverage.
CJVI and CKAD [sic] Victoria have both been granted seats in the press gallery.
CKWX been there six years.
CJOR has made application for space to man to cover the ’53 session.

Transcribed by cArtie.
Gowns by Adrian
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Laurie Irving

Postby jon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Yesterday was the anniversary of Laurie Irving's death in 2002, which we covered in the Broadcasting segment of Today in History at viewtopic.php?t=2881
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CKWX Fights Crime!

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 am

cart_machine wrote:was the idea of a traffic violator having a microphone stuck in his face

would this not hurt?

+++

a bit of history on Mulligan - thanks to Chuck Davis

http://www.vancouverhistory.ca/archives_mulligan.htm
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: CKWX Fights Crime!

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:32 am

Top Dog wrote:
cart_machine wrote:was the idea of a traffic violator having a microphone stuck in his face

would this not hurt?

No, that's if they stuck it in the other end.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History