CJVI Sports Question

A look back at various radio stations

CJVI Sports Question

Postby cart_machine » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:50 pm

Does anyone know who did play-by-play sports at CJVI before Bill Stephenson arrived?

There is a 1946 photo in the BC Archives of a Victoria baseball game, and someone with a CJVI mike. It doesn't identify the announcer and neither do any of the Sid Thomas columns in the Colonist of that era.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:14 am

Ted Reynolds - CFJC Kamloops 1945; play-by-play baseball, hockey & lacrosse CJVI Victoria 1947-56

picture as indicated by cArtie (most likely prior to Reynolds' arrival)

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 am

Top Dog wrote:picture as indicated by cArtie (most likely prior to Reynolds' arrival)

Yes, it is neither Stephenson nor Ted. Since I don't know anyone who did sports over there then, hence my question.

The Colonist just did radio listings, they did not have a radio highlights column. There are no copies of the Times accessible here.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Not trying to be a wet blanket or anything, that photo looks faked.
And no one who knows anything about broadcasting would talk into the dead sides of a ribbon microphone, such as the RCA 74b pictured here.
That particular mic is bi-directional with nulls to the side.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I agree with Mike that the picture looks staged...it is apparently so old
that no one knows much about it.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:01 pm

This whole thing is starting to remind me of an e-mail I got about a year ago saying "That is really funny where you have the Robert Redford picture for {name of current Vancouver DJ}".

I looked and, sure enough, I had copied the picture from a friend's site. And it really was Robert Redford, labelled there, too, as the Vancouver DJ. The friend and I had a good laugh about that one.

Which makes me wonder if the CJVI baseball picture hasn't been really faked up, with Alan Ladd or someone equally famous shown. Bogart would be funnier: "Lishen, sweetheart, it's the bottom of the 5th and the bases are loaded...."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Royal Athletic Park - about 1945 here is more of that picture for you to analize

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Never mind the direction of the mic, don't you tend to look
AT the field when you're doing a game? :wink:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:33 pm

It definately looks like a cut and paste job.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 am

glaherty wrote:Never mind the direction of the mic, don't you tend to look
AT the field when you're doing a game? :wink:

Clancy used to bring binoculars to Nat Bailey and he wasn't always looking at the field.

And I can think of a few times where Pat and I have looked at each other after a description of a play and said "What game is HE looking at?" (you were not the object of the question.)

I think everyone can figure out this is a paste-up; I'd still like to know who the announcer is. The Colonist of the day makes no mention of who does the Athletics' broadcasts in 1946.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:20 pm

A CJVI contemporary of Ted's who visited with him and color man Owen Jull at RAP, agrees with the assessment that it's a staged shot for promotional purposes, but is unable to shed any light on who is pictured, or who may have preceded Ted in sports.

cArtie, I seem to remember that during some years at least, the latter innings of the baseball games were recorded on acetate disk, and played on the air beginning about 10.45. Is this confirmed in the listings?

One of Ted's big CJVI assignments in the 1950's was covering the many swims by assorted folks across Juan De Fuca, mostly from Port Angeles to Victoria. Keith McKenzie did the same for CKDA.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:52 pm

YesterDaze wrote:A CJVI contemporary of Ted's who visited with him and color man Owen Jull at RAP, agrees with the assessment that it's a staged shot for promotional purposes, but is unable to shed any light on who is pictured, or who may have preceded Ted in sports.

cArtie, I seem to remember that during some years at least, the latter innings of the baseball games were recorded on acetate disk, and played on the air beginning about 10.45. Is this confirmed in the listings?

Daze, I'd have to go back and look. I never paid a lot of attention, to be honest. Was this because of CBC commitments?

Thanks for your effort in trying to find out about this.

I'm a little surprised considering the fact the Colonist owned (or part-owned by then) CJVI that it didn't promote the station more in the paper. I did see a wonderful spread when they moved to new studios in 1952.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Victoriaradio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am

The picture looks like Fred Usher (Sales) CJVI, also lead singer for the CJVI Hometowners. Bill Stephenson did not work at CJVI, he was at CKDA.
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 am

Victoriaradio wrote:The picture looks like Fred Usher (Sales) CJVI, also lead singer for the CJVI Hometowners.

Thanks, VR. He didn't do baseball, though, did he?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Victoriaradio » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

Fred Usher was strictly sales and leader of the Hometowners. Actually Ted Reynolds used to emcee the Hometowners live show from , "...the stage of the Dominion Theatre." When I worked at CJVI our sports guy was Lundy Sanderson (Rev.).
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio Station History