CJVI Sports Question

A look back at various radio stations

Postby YesterDaze » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am

Lundy Sanderson did hockey and maybe lacrosse play be play. I don't think CJVI was involved in baseball during his time there. In any case he took over sports after Ted Reynolds left for the CBC in 1956, so his name in this context (1946) is a bit of a red herring.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:06 pm

YesterDaze wrote:Lundy Sanderson did hockey and maybe lacrosse play be play. I don't think CJVI was involved in baseball during his time there. In any case he took over sports after Ted Reynolds left for the CBC in 1956, so his name in this context (1946) is a bit of a red herring.

Yeah, Daze, the baseball club died in 1954.

Oh, well. I guess this'll be one of those little mysteries.

I've never really tracked Victoria baseball play-by-play too closely. Vancouver's history is recorded a bit better in contemporary newspapers. Charlie Defieux seems to have done the first baseball games on the radio in Vancouver (he did the first night ball game in Canada on 'WX in 1931) and, as best as I can tell, Leo Nicholson did the first pro baseball games in 1937 (on 'OR) until just after the war. Then it was Duke McLeod (with Reed Chapman and/or Keith Matthews), followed by Hal Rodd, Jim Cox, Bill Stephenson, Jim Robson and then baseball died until 1978, when Ed Randall did the first season of the C's, and Jerry Sherman followed with the next two.

cArtie.

P.S. A propos of Victoria baseball, the club had an Ed Farey Night one evening not long before it folded. He was a member of the Tyee Booster Club and I gather quite a ball fan. The Colonist doesn't say what Ed got that night.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History