CFAY the Pirate

A look back at various radio stations

Re: CFAY the Pirate

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Greetings Everyone,
Hope you are all having a great February 2013 so far. Yes I am still on my extended visit here in Ontario. I joined a couple of other online radio sites just before Christmas to January and it has increased my radio sales busness in the Eastern Part of North America which has always accounted for at least 60 Per Cent of my mailorder radio sales business. Anyhow really hope to get back out to British Columbia soon by early Spring at the latest. Fortunately Mrs. CFAY (Ann) is patient but I miss her and Langley Township a lot!!! I absolutely do not miss the mayor or council of Langley City which I consider far worse than Mayor Rob Ford in Toronto. Actually he is a Saint by comparison! Langley Township especially Murrayville is like Heaven on Earth though compared to Langley City! Yes Dan Aldergroove is great too after all its in Langley Township not Langley City!!!!

Anyhow the real reason for this post, I always thought our old radio programming days at CFAY in 1967 to 1971 were great and unique with Free Form Music playing artists such as the MC5, Mama Lion plus some current Top 40 Hits, Oldies and some old and new country. We played the odd classical music selection missed in from time to time. I remember we played Undun by The Guess Who first before CKLG 730 and CFUN 1410 played it. I really liked that tune by the Guess Who. I still have a lot of the old charts for CFAY that our good friend RadioFan put together way back then. Great job Ted and great memories from that time!!! I think the tune Apricot Brandy was one of the more progressive songs we played and made the cfay chart back then. Around 1969 or so.
"
Well anyway I always thought C-FAY's programming was the most unique of anybody and have liked it all through the years till recently. However even though I still like what we did I must tell you that I have heard a Licensed AM radio station in the USA that just started streaming audio on the internet that is doing something similar to what we did at CFAY back in 1969 but much better. They play a wide range of what I would call Eclectic Free Form Flashbacks ranging from music from the 1930s to 1970! It is my Favorite AM Radio Station in the entire United States out of approximately 5000 stations licensed currently. The station is WHVW 950 Hyde Park, New York and it is an Independantly owned commercial radio station. They are a low budget small AM station with absolutely All Local programming and Fantastic programming!!! Even though I have known about them for years and we found their website about 2006 or 2007 I never had heard the programming until recently because they did not stream on the internet till about two weeks ago. You simply go to the website for WHVW and click online streaming and presto their it it. A unique non-repititious non-boring blend of one of the most eclectic AM radio stations in North America!!!! They Id. as "The Best Station in The Nation" and I completely agree. WHVW is a 500 watt day power station with 60 watts at night. They have been on the air since about 1960 going through several ownerships and quite a few formats. At one time in the late 1960s they were the number one rated top 40 station in the Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie, New York market. Over the years through different ownership changes the station fell on hard times in the late 1980s and almost went dark or was almost sold to some religious group. However about 1993 Pirate Joe or J.P. Ferraro bought the station and rescued it from oblivion making it one of the best programmed Am stations in the USA. They feature old blues, vintage rock and country, big band and instrumentals and lesser heard 60s and early 70s rock tunes by bands like the Rolling Stones too! WHVW even has a few specialty shows like his wide range of classical music concert which he does every weekday evening from 6 PM to 8 PM. From 3 PM to 6 PM he does the Pirate Joe Extravaganzo Show in which he is known to play music from old 78s live on the air!!!!! Old Blues, Rock and Country among other things! Its quite a listening experience to say the least. If you want the current or latest stuff by Justin Bieber or Lady Ga Ga stay away from WHVW because you probably won't like it!!!! However for the rest of us that are bored with repetitious current hit music itsa great station. Another one of their Slogans on the air is "The Heart and Soul of American Music W H V W" Yes folks they still have enough guts to use call letters too and not those crappy Jack Fm or whatever slogans that in my opinion really suck big time and make radio stations sound crappy!!!! By the way in case you are wondering why J.P. calls himself Pirate Joe its because he is a former Pirate Broadcaster growing up in Yonkers, New York and operating both Am and FM pirate radio stations there in the early 70s with his friend Allan Weiner who is also a station owner operating one of the most unique shortwave licensed stations in the world WBCQ in Monticello, Maine!!!! But WBCQ is a whole different radio story, they do have a website and have streamed audio for quite a few years on the internet. But WHVW really sounds great and I love all their programming even the classical music program. Not only is J.P. a good radio engineer he has a very good knowledge of a wide range of music!!! He sounds good on the air too, a nice easy to listen to mellow voice. Like the WHVW jingles too. They also have a few local information programs, weather and news and you won't be bombarded by many commercials, its just amazing for a commercial station!

Anyway if you want a unique radio listening experience check out WHVW 950 in the web with their brand new streaming audio! I get it on the computer but have not found them listed on my wi-fi radios yet probably because they are brand new to the internet. Yes they still broadcast over the air and I heard them a couple mornings at 5 to 7 AM here with their 500 watt signal on 950 khz. here in the Cobourg, Ontario area. There are several other radio stations operating in New York State with higher power including 950 Rochester, New York but was pleased to dx them on 950 AM in the morning a couple times.

Take care, and all the best for Valentines Day, hope you have a nice one!!!!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who can keep an AM station like WHVW on the air year after year with only 500 watts day and 57 watts at night. Being close to The Big Apple might help, though I have to wonder if most radios even pick it up there. Of course, being non-directional means a "single stick operation" which means a huge cost savings for an AM station.

But Eldon's comment about them playing 78s on air immediately reminded me of Roy's Record Room on CKUA, hosted by the well-known Canadian singer BIM. Tony Dillon Davis has been hosting Play It Again as long as I've lived in Edmonton (I arrived in early 1975), featuring pre-Rock era music going back to the 1920s. John Worthington has been with CKUA since the 1940s and has hosted The Old-disc Jockey, a Big Band show, since the mid-1960s.

Although best known for their Jazz programming, CKUA has expanded their musical horizons to include Country music in the form of at least one weekly show. And they even have a Grateful Dead show.

Of course, you cannot really compare WHVW to CKUA. Except maybe to say that CKUA kept true to itself despite its comparitively (to WHVW) huge size and, therefore, budget. Not to mention CRTC regulations.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm

I guess there was a few pirate stations in the Greater Vancouver area in the late 60s and early 70s.

I'd heard of one out in Mission and another in Cultus lake, both in 1970 - 71.

Myself and some school buddies had one in the Murrayville area east of langley. We were in the Five Corners area near 216th Street south of the Freaser Highway. Our homebuilt transmitter put out
close to 5 watts. Many of our friends would listen to the station in their cars at the old A&W on Fraser Highway and 208th. We'd usually put KCUF 650 on the air for a couple of hours each evening and
on weekends.

The format was pretty loose. We'd play some of the current hit records plus LP cuts from The Beatles, The Stones, Cream, CCR and of course Led Zeppelin. The library consisted of what we all had in
our collections bought with allowance and paper route money.

KCUF hit the air in July of 1969 and had it's final sign off in June of 1971. As far as I know we never attracted the attention of the DOC, so I guess we didn't interfere with anything at the Langley
Airport.

I wish I'd been smart enough to take some pictures of our setup or to have recorded some shows.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your interesting comments on old music programming on CKUA Jon. I was not familiar with those particular programs but know CKUA has had some really creative local programs over the years on AM in Alberta as well as the FM repeaters! Also thanks for your nice comments about WHVW. When you get a chance you might want to listen to the new streaming audio they do!

Just would like to mention that J.P. or Pirate Joe is a perfectionist apparently and wants the WHVW equipment operating top notch including top of the hour station IDs etc.. Apparently the old Murray the Machine Automation equipment broke down some months ago and they had to replace it. It was considerable expense and time consuming to get the new Murray the Machine to operate properly. Anyway it is now but they told me on the phone recently if there are any repeats of songs too close its part of the bugs they are working out with the system. WHVW is all local but they use local automation for music when they are not live but apparently have had someone monitoring it all night even!!!! They have a small staff so I guess its been quite time consuming for them.

Also many thanks Czarcasm for your interesting comments on your pirate station operating east of Murrayville with the USA calls on 650. I had not heard of it back in 1969 or so. If I or any of the cfay staff would have known about it we would have gone out there to listen!!! Thanks for your interesting comments about the home-built transmitter too. My wife Mrs. CFAY grew up in the Murrayville area and attended D.W. Poppy High and Murrayville Elementary. Its my favorite area of Langley Township and I am glad you know about the area. I suppose you operated KCUF mainly on weekends. When we were heard in Seattle by dxer Bruce Portzer one very early Monday morning we were using about 8 watts from a crystal controlled tube transmitter at 1357 khz. That was back in June 1969. Had a longwire antenna one-quarter wavelength approx. tuned to that AM frequency. Too bad you did not save any reel tapes of your programming or photos would be interesting to see them. Unfortunately we did not save that much in reel to reel programming of CFAY back in 1969 either.

Thanks again for the interesting comments, much appreciated.

Take care and all the best to you. By the way WHVW has an email address on their website so you can send any comments about the station or programming to them.

73s From Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 pm

What a cool little radio station. Thanks for the great find Eldon! I’ve been listening to this station since last night. The audio stream sounds like it’s coming straight off the board as it is not processed in any way. It’s a mono stream so I wonder if the equipment in the studio is old mono gear or if they’re just trying to save on bandwidth costs?

Regardless, it’s been a very entertaining and refreshing listen! Last year when KXA 1520 was testing and they were seemingly uncertain of what format to go with, I was very much hoping they would do something very similar to this. There are so many creative possibilities for independent AM (or FM for that matter) radio stations and I really think money can be made with a creative format on an independent. Sure, the station may not get a double digit share in a metro market, but it could certainly hold its own and capture a good-sized loyal audience.

Wouldn’t it be great if Golden West were to do something like this with 1140? One could only hope…
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 am

Greetings,
Glad you enjoyed the programming on WHVW from Calgary CKNF. Have been listening to it a lot myself and the station seems to be somewhat addicting because of the wide selection of music they play. I like a lot of old and obscure blues, rock, jazz and country and they certainly seem to have quite a blend at WHVW. I was talking to J.P. or Pirate Joe WHVW's station owner for over an hour last night during their Evening Concert of Classical music and had a most interesting conversation with him about the station. As well talked a bit about WBCQ Shortwave and the Weather out East. Of course there is a strong winter weather warning happening overnight and Friday for much of the Eastern States and Southern Ontario.

Unlike the Free Form and Progressive music with Top 40 and oldies from 1967 to the early 70s that we played on CFAY back in say 1969, WHVW plays a lot of rarely heard music from the 30s (even late 20s) to about 1970. They have an extensive 78 rpm record library in addition to a lot of albums and some 45s. Reel to Reel, turntables and CDs are used. J.P. is not too fond of cassettes and they do not use them at the station. He was telling me he is quite a fan or reel to reel though. The transmitter they use is an older CCA 1 KW. Rig powered down for 500 watts during the day, much lower at night. I think they use the same transmitter for night and day use. So even though we had a Free Form Flashbacks with some current and more obscure progressive rock music back in 1969 we did not play much if anything from the mid-50s and before, certainly very little in the way of 78s, perhaps the odd one. There was nothing to speak of played on cfay back then from the late 20s, 30s or 40s or even early 50s in the way of old blues, vintage country, big band etc... I heard J.P. play a song on his afternoon show (done live) from 3 PM to 6 PM that was a big hit in 1944 for 6 weeks or more, as he stated and gave some background on. On the weekday classical music show he does live you will often hear background information on some of the selections as well. Quite often though the classical musical selections are a lot longer so he has some time to talk etc. on the phone during that program!!!! With the live show 3 PM to 6 PM there are more breaks, announcing, a few commercials and more care to be taken playing old 78s live on the air as you can imagine!

They probably have one of the larger old 78 rpm record libraries of any commercial AM station in the USA. The new Murray the Machine Automation system is working better but they are still monitoring it and J.P. does not like any of the repeats that it something does to songs even a few hours apart!!! Jon he was telling me that his mother could get WHVW 950 a few years ago in Yonkers, New York (which is the very northern part of Greater New York City) with a pretty good signal on an old tube radio. He also told me that friends told him they heard WHVW over the air near Yankee Stadium in the Bronx but he did not. I asked him if they could get sponsors from the North part of New York City. He said the signal overall is not really strong enough unless some local businesses say in Yonkers would like to draw customers in from Hyde Park or Poughkeepsie so it is a bit of tough sell for WHVW to get sponsors there. J.P. also told me that even though he has owned the station for 20 years or so some it has been tough economically for them especially in recent years with the USA economy not recovering fast enough in that area. To make matters worse the large radio corporations like Clear Channel and Cumulus have more sales staff and basically scoop up whoever has advertising dollars for radio in the Poughkeepsie/Hyde Park area of the Hudson Valley. They can be cutthroat for radio advertising dollars and own three or four AM and FM stations in that area. I said to J.P. but your programming is so much better and more interesting local businesses should be beating your door down with such a unique commercial station there! He said that is not the case because Clear Channel and Cumulus have more staff and been larger can afford professional sales people and use very aggressive sales tactics. So WHVW 950 has found it tough to get advertising dollars from local businesses although they have some sponsors. Its tougher because of the depressed economy in that area so a lot of small business just doesn't have a budget for advertising dollars on radio period at the moment and in recent years! I was quite surprised to hear all this and also that the hydro bills just go up and up in that area, sounding more expensive than Greater Vancouver or the Lower Mainland. But now being on the internet as well as over the air they are moving forward and hope to expand. I asked him about national fast food advertisers like McDonalds, Wendys, Subway etc. and he said "No they are not interested in local independant smaller commercial station ads, only the larger stations or groups of stations for spot buying!" So even though WHVW 950 is a commercial station they sure could use some listener support if possible. Although they have not asked for any listener donations J.P. did tell me on the phone last night any and all donations no matter how small would help WHVW with their operating expenses and any promotional costs for the stations. They are operating on a low budget and would like to print stickers (some were done in the past) and maybe advertise the station in a newspaper or billboard but basically cannot afford much of a promotion budget at present. He told me they are looking at printers or possibly getting a good deal on printing stickers. So in the near future (DAN TAKE NOTE) they may have stickers but not at the current time. Anyway since they are a commercial station J.P. does not really like to ask for donations on the air but since they just started internet streaming they might put an announcement or two on. So if anyone wants to send a listener donation to help them out just make it payable to WHVW and send it to them at their Poughkeepsie, New York mailing address. Its on the WHVW website. That is also where you can go to get the online programming too which is the same as what they broadcast on 950 AM by the way. You can send them a money order, check just payable to WHVW 950 AM Radio. He did tell me on the phone to thank anyone doing this very much and they would be very grateful. They also greatly appreciate anyone listening to the programming on the internet by computer or wi-fi radios. You can also email them (email address on the website too) at WHVW with any comments or suggestions on advertising ideas etc... They might be interested in selling airtime for a program if it fits in with the old music theme and of course is recorded on cd or reel to reel. Anyway just thought I would give everyone an update on what Pirate Joe (or J.P) WHVW's owner told me. I told him about CKUA 580 in Edmonton and some of the old specialty shows that are broadcast there, that also interested him quite a bit.

I might add some of the old tunes especially from 78 rpm recordings are quite funny as well. There is one, sort of an old blues recording, male vocal and it goes on about Big Fat Fanny but is done quite well musically. Quite funny to say the least, there are others too. As far as I know they don't have an oldtime comedy hour per say on WHVW or a show for just old novelty songs which might be something to suggest to them. When we were operating CFAY in the late 60s to early 70s we did play quite a few novelty tunes like Napoleon the 14th, Ballad of Walter Wart etc. but never had a show for just that kind of music. I wish we had actually, it was mixed in with everything else. Thats more less how WHVW does it but with older novelty type songs!

Take care everyone and hope you enjoy some good musical listening!

73s Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 pm

I ran into an old high school chum today and we talked a bit about the old KCUF. I was reminded that we used to get some records cheap from a record store in Langley. I think the place
was called Adair's, a little mom and pop shop, and he'd sell us promotional copies of rock 45s that someone from the local Country station gave or sold him. He'd insist that we buy some
regular priced 45s too.

We also got some records from a Furniture store down in Lynden, Washington. The guy who ran it, Mr. Barton, had a radio station at the back of the store that played elevator music from reel
to reel tapes that some guy in Coquitlam prepared for him. He'd always have a box of promotional 45s that he sold for 25 or 50 cents each.

Some great memories when you think back to the stuff you did as a teen.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 am

Greetings Everyone,
Thanks again Czarcasm for sharing some of your memories. Back in those days I was living in North Surrey but did visit Langley and the rest of the Fraser Valley quite often. I remember seeing or hearing about Adair's Records or something like that in downtown Langley. However I don't think I ever went into the store just drove by it. It is long gone, The only collectors record store or store selling vinyl among other things in downtown Langley is Krazy Bobs and yes I know him, I have bought and sold a few things to him. Mrs. CFAY (Ann) knows him too and he can be quite a character at times, wacky sense of humor!!!!

Regarding Lynden, Washington, the person you are thinking of was Sidney Baron and he was the founder and owner of KLYN FM 106.5 when it was a lower powered fm at 3 kw. Erp and later just before he sold it boosted to 50 KW or more. It is still on the air as KWPZ for Contemporary Christian music owned by the Edmonds, Washington station KCIS 630 which used to be called Kings Garden Inc. ownership. Sid Baron owned the furniture store and you are right the studio for KLYN was in a corner of that store in downtown Lynden, Washington. The KWPZ 106.5 studios are still in Lynden but at another location, I think they are a high power FM now at 100kw. with transmitter on Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island. Yes they did sell 45 rpm records at Sid's furniture store too and I too bought some. In fact RadioFan and several other radio friends went to Lynden to visit KLYN and we all bought records there. KLYN under Sid Baron's ownership had programmed easy listening music and dutch programs for years, I believe he started KLYN in the very early 60s. On of our neighbors in North Surrey and his wife loved KLYN's easy listening format so much he put up a small Yagi Antenna on his house roof to get it. That was in the days that I first got interested in radio about 1966 or 67. I remember Mr. Hammond mentioning we should program more like KLYN at times with easy listening at CFAY when I started it, we were a little to Rocky for him and his wife!!!! RadioFan might remember Mr. Hammond, nice neighbor and gentleman and a devoted KLYN listener. In the North Surrey area you usually needed a outside antenna for getting their 3 kw. FM signal from Lynden.

Anyway thought I would mention a little more about WHVW 950, I was talking on the air for about 15 minutes or so to his oldtime pirate radio friend and station owner Allan Weiner Friday night. Allan does a live radio show on his licensed 50 KW. Shortwave station WBCQ every Friday night from 8 PM to 9:30 PM or approx. that Eastern Time. It usually is out of Monticello, Maine where WBCQ with its 4 Shortwave 50,000 Watt transmitters are located. However Allan and his wife Jennifer and associate Scott Becker were in Florida sending the broadcasting to his technical staff at a very cold and snowy Monticello, Maine. In the last few years he spends several months at his Florida residence in the winter months returning to Monticello, Maine in May. Allan has had a long history in the past 40 years of being a pirate broadcaster and defying the FCC big time. Of course he wanted a licensed shortwave station for years and got it in 1998 when WBCQ was first licensed on 7415 khz. . Before that he had started several FM and an AM station in Monticello, Maine on 710 khz. It is now on 780 khz. and has a low power night operation too no longer a daytimer. But WBCQ is 50,000 watts on 5110, 7490, 9330 khz. and another 15,000 something Shortwave Frequency, it is only shortwave and has the most eclectic talk, preaching and music programming of any shortwave broadcaster. Allan also has some very strong distinct points of view, so do amateur radio operator and wife Jennifer. WBCQ and Allan's stations could be thought of as Mom and Pop stations not big corporate radio at all!!! He has known J.P. or Pirate Joe at WHVW 950 Hyde Park for years having done pirate stations with him growing up in Yonkers, New York. Allan also bought a ship with pirate radio friends in the New York City areVa and registered it in Panama then broadcast in what they thought were international waters off the coast of New York City. They had the ship named M.V. Sarah (I think) fitted with AM tower, Shortwave transmitters etc. and broadcast for several days in 1988 off the New York Coast in the Atlantic Ocean. That is until the FCC, USA Coast Guard raided the ship and tore up the equipment with axes etc.. and armed rifles etc. J.P. told me he was involved but something told him to leave early and he was not aboard the ship when the raid occurred. Anyway there has been quite a bit written about this and Allan even published a book about all this quite a few years ago. He and quite a few of the other members of R.N.I. or Radio New York International were handcuffed and taken off the ship. They were charged with radio piracy and were to appear in court later. However charges for the most part were dropped but none of them were paid one red cent for any damage to equipment etc....

Anyway I have talked and written to Allan quite a few times in the past 14 years and it was nice to talk to him again since I had not done so for about two years. I thanked him for the help they had given WHVW 950 and J.P. in streaming on the internet. He told me I was welcome and went into detail talking about how great a station WHVW is and some of the history as to how J.P. bought it and how unique it is. Allan also told me that he is going to talk to J.P. about broadcasting some of the WHVW programming on one of the WBCQ Shortwave transmitters possibly 5110 khz. which they call Area 51 Programming for WBCQ, on that frequency they have a lot of music and pirate radio programming. You can buy time and put on your own radio show at the lowest rates for any shortwave station anywhere. Allan welcomes anyone who wants to buy program time on WBCQ and encourages it. Yes WBCQ has a website with lots of photos, program schedules etc..its got a lot of information and photos on it! Now if you do listen to WBCQ Shortwave I suggest 5110 khz. because that is where the most interesting and innovative programming is. You will hear WBCQ Engineer TimTRon (Tim Smith who is also a amateur radio operator) and longtime radio engineer also. You can also hear Glen Hauser's World of Radio DX program on Friday night and many other shows. If you like progressive rock music and oldies, some obscure stuff too 5110 khz. WBCQ is the place to tune on shortwave. They also stream audio. What about the other shortwave frequencies for WBCQ well they carry a lot more religious programs and paid religion shows like Brother Stair!!!! If you like religion and paid religious shows with preachers by all means tune in but my choice is 5110 khz. WBCQ. Allan is a strong believer in freedom of speech to an extreme!!!! WBCQ The Planet is called the LAST FREE SPEECH RADIO STATION on Shortwave. Even if he does not agree with your talk or program he believes you have the right to broadcast it and will sell you the airtime at a low cost rate!!! In the last few years I don't exactly agree with Allan's current political point of view but I do admire his ideas for access to the airwaves and trying to give opportunities for that. He also has more or less remained friends with J.P. through all these years even though they may have gone in different directions politically in recent years in particular! So don't be surprised if you tune into Allan Weiner Worldwide on a Friday night at 8 PM Eastern Time and hear strong political opinions from him, then laughter, jokes, lots of radio talk and then an excellent on-air portion devoted to Antique Radio and Restoration with their good friend Mal Fuller from New Hampshire. Its just amazing how diverse the show can get. You have to keep listening to find that out. The live show of Allan Weiner Worldwide is usually on only once a week from 8 PM to 9:30 PM Eastern Time on Friday night. Some repeats can be heard at other times on 5110 khz... Also WHVW 950 may soon also be heard or at least portions of it on WBCQ 5110 when Allan and JP work out the arrangements for it!

So there you have it some background info. on former pirate radio broadcasters originally from the Big Apple area of Yonkers, New York. One thing about both Allan and J.P. they don't give up easily and they have some strong opinions!!!! As far as shortwave pirate broadcasting for CFAY we never did any and I was always most interested in AM which I am still today. However I do like FM a lot. Would CFAY ever broadcast on Shortwave as a pirate station like many others have done in North America, probably not. Would CFAY ever apply for a shortwave license to broadcast in Canada, possibly!!!! Allan Weiner believes very strongly in Shortwave Broadcasting and he thinks with many countries dumping Shortwave in favor of the internet private shortwave stations like WBCQ in particular are gaining listeners more and more! If you want to comment or buy air-time on WBCQ phone Allan or email him, I am sure he will be most happy to hear from you!!!! The USA has quite a few private shortwave stations compared to Canada, many of them newer stations and quite a few paid religious formats. In Canada we have a few shortwave outlets but not many so there is opportunity out there. I do think you really have to promote it to be successful and use shortwave in tandem with internet audio streaming too!

Take care everyone and guess what, the snow stopped finally at 2 AM this morning with abou 3 feet or 90 centimeters having fallen in the Baltimore area of Greater Cobourg, Ontario!!!! The skies are dark, clear and cold at only 14 degrees Fahrenheit here.

73s Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History