Site Update: Tribute to Dave McCormick by Bruce Stewart

A look back at various radio stations

Site Update: Tribute to Dave McCormick by Bruce Stewart

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi. Jim here from the Vancouver Top 40 Radio website. Many of you who have visited my site in the past, have enjoyed the paintings and digital images of Bruce Stewart. These images, among others, include Bruce's well-known Red Robinson/White Spot painting, his Summer Soundathon painting and many others.

I am pleased to now have the privilege of displaying Bruce's latest artistic work, competed this very year (2009), and his first painting in many years. This digital painting pays tribute to 'Big Daddy' Dave McCormick and the original "Swinging Men at 1410", Al Jordan, Brian Lord, Frosty Forst, and Jerry Landa. The year is 1961 and the scene is inside, not the "real" C-FUN control room, but "a fantasy image of what the listener (namely Bruce himself) imagined what the DJ board at C-FUN might look like amid the chaos of a Summer Soundathon week -- if radio had pictures! Only in the mind's eye of a listener, out there, everywhere around a place called Funland!"

You'll find Bruce's new painting on the C-FUN 1961 Index page and you can enlarge it and read more about it by clicking on the image. To go directly to the index page click here:
http://www.vancouvertop40radio.com/Stat ... un1961.htm

Bruce, now retired, lives in Victoria. He was once a medical illustrator and ran the department in the 1980s in the Faculty of Medicine at UBC. He has worked on many paintings over the years, many of them Vancouver-themed, having diplayed his vast collection at art shows throughout the lower mainland. It is extremely fortunate, and I am extremely grateful, that Bruce has graciously allowed many of his images to be posted these past few years on the Vancouver Top 40 Radio website.

Several other gradual changes to the site have been made on the C-FUN index pages for 1960, 1961 and 1962. These have been made over the past several months and if you're a regular visitor you've already seen them. If not, you might want to pay a return visit and listen to the new jingles and other audio clips, most courtesy of Radio West, Owen Coppin and Larry Morton, and view the new graphics and articles posted there. Among other things you'll find an Audio Montage compiled by Larry Morton of the very first C-FUN survey of Mar. 19, 1960.

And special thanks, as always, to Radio West, for it's support.

Jim
http://www.VancouverTop40Radio.com
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Re: Site Update: Tribute to Dave McCormick by Bruce Stewart

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks Jim!...
I liked it so much I made it my desktop background!
8-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:05 pm

Very cool pic, Jim.
If I remember correctly, you wouldn't have been able to get more than 3 people into the old CFUN on air control room.
I remember it as about as wide as a large corridor and deep enough for about three people to stand.
It had a Stan Davis custom board which sat at an about 45 degree angle.
I used to come down to visit John Tanner when he worked there.
The entire radio station was pretty compact, as I remember, a lot squeezed onto one floor.
I wish someone would post some pictures of the station's interior, if any exist.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Well, if I find any such pictures Mike, I'll see about posting them.

:)
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Absolutely awesome! I printed a copy off that will be framed and placed on the wall in the promo museum (aka: my bedroom).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Mike I don't know how to get it to you but I've got a pic of the antiquated tape machine wall in CFUN's news room circa 1995 I believe. I can still hear JJ when I look at it even today...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 am

Pictures:
I'd love to have that.
If it's in your computer, simply email it to me at radiovoiceone@yahoo.com.
If it's an actual picture (on paper) you could scan it and digitize it then email it.
I have a very large collection of pictures of old radio station control rooms and news rooms but lost a lot of material during my move to Vancouver back in 2001.
I've been trying to replace that stuff ever since.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History