CJOR January 1975 pics [Part 2]

A look back at various radio stations

Re: CJOR January 1975 pics [Part 2]

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:18 pm

John, the technology to you probably is as much interest as professional sports is to me.
But the technology was a big part of how we did what we used to do.
Many of the gizmos used were invented by creative engineering people because they didn't exist and if you wanted something, you made it.
The tape delay is one of those.
In order to be able to censor what went out on the air, you needed to be able to have enough time to hit a "dump" button to keep the profanity, libel, etc. off the air.
Most were engineered to dump the offending audio while cutting the phone line the idiot had called in on.
The clever way to do this, before cart machines, was to add a fourth head to an Ampex or other tape machine just ahead of the erase, record play head combo that was standard on professional machines and a few extra tape rollers above the transport deck so an endless loop of tape could be threaded on the machine.
The live audio was recorded normally by the record head but it took the tape loop seven or eight seconds to reach the second playback head, the output of which was sent to the transmitter.
When you heard the offending audio, that feed was cut when you hit the dump button.
Cart machine manufacturers incorporated a similar system in their machines in response to the demand for a machine to do this.
Only problem was with both systems, you had to keep replacing the tape which would wear out in about two hours.
Along came digital delays, the first extremely expensive and clunky and which took a long time to build up the delay period but over time, they were refined and became cheaper.
These are still in use in some facilities these days but computers have replaced "delay machines" in most modern talk studio facilities.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:24 pm

johnsykes wrote:Would anyone have a pic of one Yvonne Lehner......I ran into her in the mid-90's when I was at Vancouver Intn'l Airport. She was a flight attendant with Canadian Airlines......oh my!!! Yvonne Simpson by then....mother of twins. Absolutely gorgeous as she was twenty years earlier.

What do you want the picture for? :carrot:
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 pm

OK I'll own up.....I, guess you could say, had a huge crush on Yvonne, totally innocent. I had total respect for her, and I do have witnesses who would support me. Almost cost me a marriage. As I say, I had her on a pedestal.....
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Hopefully, John's reference to pedestals is not referring to the same ones that Jake Thackray sings about in one of Max Ferguson's most oft-requested and played songs on his last CBC show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4JkG9bme8
jon
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 pm

johnsykes wrote:OK I'll own up.....I, guess you could say, had a huge crush on Yvonne, totally innocent. I had total respect for her, and I do have witnesses who would support me. Almost cost me a marriage. As I say, I had her on a pedestal.....

You had her on a pedestal? TMI
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History