CFUN's New Home January 17, 1959

A look back at various radio stations

CFUN's New Home January 17, 1959

Postby radiofan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 am

On January 17th 1959 CFUN was on the air from their new state of the art studios at 1900 West 4th Avenue in Vancouver ...

Since CFUN moved out in the early 1990's, the building was home to Blockbuster Video for a few years and is now a
Salvation Army Thrift Store ... (at least the building lives on ...)

Thanks to Firedog for sharting this piece of Vancouver Radio history.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CFUN's New Home January 17, 1959

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 am

Jack Sayers was a salesman at CJCA/CIRK-FM when I was there in the late '70's, early '80's.
He didn't really talk about work very much and I didn't know he'd been at CFUN.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:09 am

I really enjoyed working in that building. Its layout was well designed for radio with the studios all in the centre and a full walk around hallway.

In the latter days of my time there, we were cramped for space, but I sure had some good times.

It was also neat that Stan Davis' consulting engineering company was downstairs, so I could satisfy my electronics desires by going down and hanging out with the guys and having coffee.

All the best,
Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 am

Anotherwpgguy wrote:... radio studios all in the centre and a full walk around hallway.

Sometimes utilized for rolling office chair races during working hours and a circular ten-speed bike course after hours.

Anotherwpgguy wrote:In the latter days of my time there, we were cramped for space...

Boy, I'll say true that! It wasn't until CHUM acquired CHQM that the necessity of a move to the larger (and current) building became unavoidable.

In the pictures (gee, I wish the quality were better), I see Cullen in studio "A" control, turntables on the left looking into the apartment sized Main Studio. He's manning the same Stan Davis board that facilitated operations for a full thirty years up until the 1989 renos. I don't suppose anyone retained that historic piece of hardware; probably dismantled and destroyed along with it's twin in the production studio, which is, I believe, where we see Monty McFarlane.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 am

Fifty years in broadcasting for Dave - only a few last that long. The quality of the ad is disappointing and I have seen some of the pix clipped and on vancouver radio museum.

Its the original high quality pictures like those put up by "tuned" that are so nice to see
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Re the C-FUN newspaper page, sorry guys, I'm at the mercy of the original newspaper being copied to microfilm and the antiquated microfilm readers still being used in the public libraries to reproduce the page over again.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Firedog wrote:Re the C-FUN newspaper page, sorry guys, I'm at the mercy of the original newspaper being copied to microfilm and the antiquated microfilm readers still being used in the public libraries to reproduce the page over again.

Absolutely no need to apologize FD! Thanks again for sharing!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Firedog wrote:Re the C-FUN newspaper page, sorry guys, I'm at the mercy of the original newspaper being copied to microfilm and the antiquated microfilm readers still being used in the public libraries to reproduce the page over again.

FD, was there nothing in the radio clipping file on the 5th floor? Or weren't you at the main branch in Vancouver?

Granted, a lot of the clippings are yellowed but at least they're not photocopies on scratched microfilm. (The Burnaby library's microfilm of the Sun and Province are in far better shape).

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:44 pm

cArtie, that scan was from the Burnaby Library. I learned some time ago that the ones at the Vancouver Public Library are, for the most part, in pretty bad shape. The newspaper microfilm at The Burnaby Library is far superior (and hopefully a well kept secret for the next little while).
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:47 pm

post more firedog - and from Burnaby if possible - maybe even better quality
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:29 pm

This was the last building I ever worked at where I could actually open a window for fresh air.

I was always nervous that some snowy winter day, someone trying to park in the angled, downward facing parking area in the back would end up on my lap.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:14 am

CJCA/CIRK-FM Edmonton also had the circle setup in a rectangular building with the newsroom in the middle of the circle and the studios all around the circumference.
This was the "new" building at 10230 108th Street where they moved after leaving a downtown hotel on Jasper Avenue.
The rest of the building was open area with offices around the rectangular perimeter for the GM, the Program Director, the record library, the boardroom and engineering shop and washrooms.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 am

Neumann ... If you imagine ... for some reason, I had forgotten about the 10 speed bike riding around the circle .. what fun.

And ... during the period when I was Production Mgr, wheeling a huge stack of freshly carted spots from my "office" around the hall to put them in Master Control for a busy weekend run.

I recall Brother Benson and I hiding around the corner of the south wall of the square when Susan and Terry Jacks came to the station to pick up Freddy L to take him to a Christmas party. She was wearing a short white dress, had absolutely perfect make up, and was fresh from the hairdresser.

We agreed, we had never seen a more beautiful woman in our lives. We were like 7 year old school boys poking our heads out around the corner to sneak peeks at her without being detected, and stifling giggles.

Man, she was gorgeous that evening!

Those were really "FUN" times.

All the best,
Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

Anyone remember when Heidi Sorenson ( Playboy's Miss July '81) came to work for us as a receptionist ? The guys spent an unusual amount of time in that end of the building. " Any calls for me ? " "No?" " Well,I'll just sit here and wait."
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am

EX-BOSSJOCK wrote:Anyone remember when Heidi Sorenson ( Playboy's Miss July '81) came to work for us as a receptionist?

Oh yeah! I remember she used to have to type side-saddle.
"RA-Tat " - "Ke-Rash"....
"Thank You, Thank You..I'll be here cracking ribs all this week".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio Station History